Need a fix for my Doom/Quake edit

Tutorials and discussions about Mapping - Introduce your own ones!
EvilGrins
Godlike
Personal rank: God of Fudge

Need a fix for my Doom/Quake edit

Post by EvilGrins »

I'm good with skinning, monster swaps, and other little things when it comes to map edits. Creature/Thing Factories I've no skills with.

I've got about 10 edits of the Dark Forest map, going from the bot-pathed templates Nelsona & Red_Fist did for me. I was doing a final review of them, before sharing them for downloads when I noticed the Hell one has a problem. Each factory starts spawning monsters when the previous one has hit its kill-number (for wont of a better term). However after enough Imps are killed, the Barons don't start spawning from the next one. Not sure what's preventing it, but if the Barons one isn't working then all the other ones after it won't work either.

Anybody think they can fix this for me?
http://www.mediafire.com/file/bmp5skk1p ... T_HELL.zip

Thanks in advance!
Attachments
post.png
http://unreal-games.livejournal.com/
medor wrote:Replace Skaarj with EvilGrins :mrgreen:
Smilies · viewtopic.php?f=8&t=13758
Red_Fist
Godlike

Re: Need a fix for my Doom/Quake edit

Post by Red_Fist »

Check the counters. remember the first pulse from a trigger is 1, so to count to 10 enemies the counter needs 11

So if you only get 9 means it won't trigger the next one since it uses the deaths for the next total.

Set the creature factories max amount on screen so it is a factor of the total. so say you want 8 max enemies at once, I set the max it holds to 16 if I wanted 2 groups of 8.

That way everything stays in synch not some odd number for the next counter, or leftover pawns.

I also place the spawnpoints in accordance to the amount, so if I want 20 enemies total I would use 10 spawn points. so if you set it to have 10 spawn at once, each spawnpoint will have enough for 10 or 1 each

It keeps the map tidy without things you are getting now.
Binary Space Partitioning
EvilGrins
Godlike

Post by EvilGrins »

Lovely, fix it for me.

I'm really quite tired.
Barbie
Godlike

Post by Barbie »

EvilGrins wrote:Each factory starts spawning monsters when the previous one has hit its kill-number
Not true: The Imps are created by ThingFactory0 (capacity=400), and Counter0 is triggered by spawned Imps' tag "lords". Counter0 fires event "mensaje01" after 120 killed Imps, and only "BlockedPath0" and "MonsterEvent6" are triggered by this event - not another factory
EvilGrins wrote:the Barons don't start spawning from the next one
The Barons are produced by ThingFactory1. That can be started by either touching the factory (but is too high and therefore not reachable by players under normal circumstances) or by touching Trigger1 (see pic) close to the Shield Belt.
Attachments
MH-EG-DARKFOREST_HELL.jpg
"Multiple exclamation marks," he went on, shaking his head, "are a sure sign of a diseased mind." --Terry Pratchett
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

Before mooing with numbers, look if they perform Events on death else you can fool with numbers all night long and it won't work. There are a lot of CRAP called pawns which are only breaking counters - like I SAID in forum already USE SPAWNPOINT events INSTEAD for such dumb stuff. SpawnPoint brings monster and does Event if has one set. I'm not sure if Counter will not mess with "Instigator" thing for such case, if yes, rewrite Counter properly into another one... yeah, solving problem is a bit... interesting especially if you like to ignore Accessed None errors, they will punish you sooner or later...
EvilGrins
Godlike

Post by EvilGrins »

Barbie wrote:
EvilGrins wrote:Each factory starts spawning monsters when the previous one has hit its kill-number
Not true: The Imps are created by ThingFactory0 (capacity=400), and Counter0 is triggered by spawned Imps' tag "lords". Counter0 fires event "mensaje01" after 120 killed Imps, and only "BlockedPath0" and "MonsterEvent6" are triggered by this event - not another factory
You'll recall I said at the top of this I'm no good with factories. My knowledge of them comes from what I've observed.
Barbie wrote:
EvilGrins wrote:the Barons don't start spawning from the next one
The Barons are produced by ThingFactory1. That can be started by either touching the factory (but is too high and therefore not reachable by players under normal circumstances) or by touching Trigger1 (see pic) close to the Shield Belt.
Prior to this issue, never needed to touch the factory before, Barons started popping onto the map as soon as the message pops on the screen enough Imps had been killed.
OjitroC
Godlike

Post by OjitroC »

EvilGrins wrote: Prior to this issue, never needed to touch the factory before, Barons started popping onto the map as soon as the message pops on the screen enough Imps had been killed.
That may have been coincidence, as you probably did not move beyond where the imps are until you killed them all - just to add to what Barbie said, I've just played a bit of the map and you don't need to kill any imps to trigger the barons - just need to go to where that shield belt is (and so touch the trigger) and barons start appearing. Try flying around the map, touch each trigger and see what happens.
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

So they are not chained for spawning one by one types, LOL.
OjitroC
Godlike

Post by OjitroC »

sektor2111 wrote:So they are not chained for spawning one by one types, LOL.
No, it appears not - though I am not sure that this is a problem given the open nature of the map. The player has to move around the map to achieve the various objectives and so will, almost invariably, activate the various triggers and the related factories. I've also noticed that the barons can be triggered BEFORE one has killed many imps - probably due to the trigger being activated by another pawn wandering around (imp, big KrallElite or titan)?

Some comments on the map
  • 1 On one play-though of the map I got a message along the lines of "the Pond Monster has died" - not sure why it died, possibly killed by the bitter fish?
    2 The spawn point for the BigMen by the cabin (with the button for opening the teleporter in the Red Mountain) is fairly close to the cabin and it is relatively easy to head shoot the BigMen as they are spawned - more than one spawn point spread around a bit would possibly be better?
    3 There is no real reason to go to the cabin where Xan is, except out of curiousity - perhaps this should be more firmly linked into the sequential objectives?
    4 Similarly, if one is following the on-screen instructions on the objectives, there is no real reason to go to the corners of the map where the dragons, qmummies, qzombies and qknights are - in fact, without a weapon with a zoom, it is difficult to pick them up at all (I was playing without bots so I don't know if bots would go over to attack them)
    5 It would be useful to have a weapon with a long range zoom on the map
    6 Since there is virtually no ammo for the initial weapons other than in the starting cabin, I assume one is meant to play the map with an ammo regenerator?
    7 The team Krall are of limited use and tend to spend most of their time wandering around close to the starting cabin
    8 Both the QuadRifle and the Doom PlasmaGun are OK but both block one's line of sight - the former with the blue projectile rings and the latter with its upward movement when one ceases firing it - this can be inconvenient if faced with a group of enemies
Having said that, it is a fun map to play and it can be completed by a single player (with a health regenerator and by lmiting somewhat the number of monsters spawned using JackGriffin's MHMapAdjuster).

---------EDIT---------
You might wish to note the "ScriptLog: Warning - can't add biterfish independently from biterfish schools".

Other script warnings in the log are do with the lack of anims in the QuadRifle; Minigun; Lamprey and Rocket Launcher meshes - plus "ScriptWarning: BigMan MH-EG-DARKFOREST_HELL.BigMan766 (Function UnrealShare.Brute.PlayRangedAttack:001C) Accessed None"

Got the following critical error which resulted in a crash (though the first one in about four plays of the map) - the trigger for the qDemons is activated as one approaches the teleporter at the base of the Red Mountain and this error occurred as I was close to this teleporter
Spoiler
Critical: appError called:
Critical: qDemon MH-EG-DARKFOREST_HELL.qDemon24 (Function UnrealShare.ScriptedPawn.AttitudeTo:0001) Runaway loop detected (over 10000000 iterations)
Critical: Windows GetLastError: Success. (0)
Exit: Executing UObject::StaticShutdownAfterError
Exit: Executing UWindowsClient::ShutdownAfterError
Exit: UGalaxyAudioSubsystem::ShutdownAfterError
Log: DirectDraw End Mode
Exit: UD3D9RenderDevice::ShutdownAfterError
Critical: FFrame::Serialize
Critical: AActor::ProcessState
Critical: Object qDemon MH-EG-DARKFOREST_HELL.qDemon24, Old State State UnrealShare.ScriptedPawn.Attacking, New State State UnrealShare.ScriptedPawn.Attacking
Critical: AActor::Tick
Critical: TickAllActors
Critical: ULevel::Tick
Critical: (NetMode=0)
Critical: TickLevel
Critical: UGameEngine::Tick
Critical: UXC_GameEngine::Tick
Critical: UpdateWorld
Critical: XC_MainLoop
Exit: Exiting.
EvilGrins
Godlike

Post by EvilGrins »

While that's good to know, Barons are not being spawned anymore. Nor are any of the of the other monsters from the other factories past the Imps.

Which comes back to my original question of "Why?"

The map was working fine last month, now it's not... and none of the other maps with this same setup are experiencing this issue.

OjitroC didn't you once say you regularly play MH with a mutator that limits the number of monsters that normally would appear. Are you still using that?
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

Eheh, that crash... Some people doesn't know too much about pawns and neither what is iterations limit. They are only copying that garbage berserk code without a reason. Today I was looking to some pawns for inspiration related to a new map. So to speak I found a better berserk code but still not finished and lousy done. In translation of code:
look for players around 32 pieces, sort one of them randomly, attack.
I had a smile for.... 3 seconds, until my brain was processing something... a few questions:
- why only PlayerPawn and why directly PlayerPawn ? Attacking ServerAdminSpectator ? Attacking Spectators ? WTF !?
- why we don't check if nobody is playing - looping useless to attack without to see if an enemy is being assigned ?
By keep using such borked pawns you will have only bad surprises - in case of importing/using such pawn for sure I'll rewrite the dumb code. Else if map is being loaded and pawn is placed as a later mission objective, it will roam trying to reach at player probably leaving the zone where it has to be found - for sure goal is to spawn them on demand and not adding them in map by default.
As for such an open area map, things are not that funny, evil player will track only objectives triggering nothing deeply in the forest - What for after all ? Mission is to kill monster on the way to the end - to be honest I'm not using such a chaotic open Level in my play repository, is not suitable for my style.

Perhaps now you can figure why I have less interest for "edits with Pawns", the most of them are bad stuff... Have fun !
Barbie
Godlike

Post by Barbie »

EvilGrins wrote:While that's good to know, Barons are not being spawned anymore.
I've just tested that: I started the map, typed SHOWALL in console, flew to Trigger1 (see above pic), touched it and Barons started spawning. If that does not work in your installation, have a look at SYSTEM\UnrealTournament.log.
"Multiple exclamation marks," he went on, shaking his head, "are a sure sign of a diseased mind." --Terry Pratchett
OjitroC
Godlike

Post by OjitroC »

EvilGrins wrote:While that's good to know, Barons are not being spawned anymore. Nor are any of the of the other monsters from the other factories past the Imps.
I've played it about 5 times and everything has spawned, except the last game I had I could not get the lamprey to spawn. However, I've just replicated what Barbie did but have gone to each of the triggers in turn and all the monsters spawn as they should.
EvilGrins wrote: The map was working fine last month, now it's not... and none of the other maps with this same setup are experiencing this issue.
What have you added/altered since the last time it worked OK and have you altered the version that can be downloaded?
EvilGrins wrote: OjitroC didn't you once say you regularly play MH with a mutator that limits the number of monsters that normally would appear. Are you still using that?
I like to play MH as a single player without bots, so if I think a MH map is worth playing but the factories spawn too many monsters (in the sense that it becomes monotonous rather than fun to keep killing the same monsters), I use JackGriffin's MHMapAdjuster to cap the number (and to set a maximum on their health, should this be necessary).
Red_Fist
Godlike

Post by Red_Fist »

You might want to send all actors to last and rebuild
Binary Space Partitioning
OjitroC
Godlike

Post by OjitroC »

I've just played it again and everything spawned OK - HOWEVER I got that crash with the qdemons again.

The trigger for the barons by the shield belt is some distance off the 'road' - I presume the belt is there to attract a bot but, unless a player needs the belt, there is no reason to leave the 'road' when going to the next objective by the Falls. It might be better to move the trigger onto the 'road'.

The Log has this interesting entry - "ScriptLog: Team word for monsters used is: MoHu" - what does it mean?

There is also this warning - "Warning: SpawnActor failed because class EPlayerStart has bStatic or bNoDelete" - plus these to do with Teleporters "ScriptLog: Invalid Teleporter -> Message Spam removed for Teleporter MH-EG-DARKFOREST_HELL.VisibleTeleporter3" and "ScriptWarning: VisibleTeleporter MH-EG-DARKFOREST_HELL.VisibleTeleporter1 (Function Botpack.VisibleTeleporter.PostBeginPlay:0012) LoopAnim: Sequence 'Teleport' not found in Mesh 'TeleEffect3'"