Mapping Contest Theme Discussion

Tutorials and discussions about Mapping - Introduce your own ones!
SilverSound
Adept
Personal rank: Curious

Re: Mapping Contest Theme Discussion

Post by SilverSound »

Oh right....Duh!

I'm going to start drawing out a design. Hopefully it does well!
"Woah what?! I wish I was recording that...."
UnrealGGecko
Godlike
Personal rank: GEx the Gecko

Post by UnrealGGecko »

nogardilaref wrote:
papercoffee wrote:
papercoffee wrote: Name suggestions:
  1. Autumn Chaos Contest
  2. Spooky Mapping Contest
  3. Undead Chaos Mapping
  4. Mapping Contest of Hell
We still have to decide on the name of the contest.
Or I decide on my own :lol2:
The best names are the simplest, so I suggest:
Chaotic Mapping Contest
or CMC for short (DM-CMC-SomeMapName)
I like this!

btw, I see the 4096uu was voted top in that poll... I'm feeling we should do that in the next contest then. :)
Terraniux
Masterful
Personal rank: Banished member

Post by Terraniux »

CMC sounds good, easy and short. :thuup:

While reading this topic, I'm getting more and more the idea that Dr.Flay should lead and direct this competition, since he is one of very few that knows so much about Chaos. If you all agree and him too offcourse.

Thank you for clearing things up Flay, maybe you should repost that in the first post, for quick retrieval of info.

I'm looking forward to this 8)
This member can only post when permitted.
papercoffee
Godlike
Personal rank: coffee addicted !!!

Post by papercoffee »

I like CMC. It certainly will look good on a new badge.
Terraniux wrote:CMC sounds good, easy and short. :thuup:

While reading this topic, I'm getting more and more the idea that Dr.Flay should lead and direct this competition, since he is one of very few that knows so much about Chaos. If you all agree and him too offcourse.
No, I organize it. Dr.Flay had his chance when I asked the staff about a new contest. :mrgreen:
UnrealGGecko
Godlike
Personal rank: GEx the Gecko

Post by UnrealGGecko »

Just one more question... will KOTH maps be allowed? I mean it is part of ChaosUT and all :D
papercoffee
Godlike

Post by papercoffee »

UnrealGGecko wrote:Just one more question... will KOTH maps be allowed? I mean it is part of ChaosUT and all :D
If you insist to make a KOTH map, then you shouldn't expect to see it on server which doesn't run the Chaos mod. :ironic:

But this gives me an idea ...an KOTH gameplay without the KOTH gametype ...instead I will use DOM. :satan:

Edit------------------
UnrealGGecko wrote: btw, I see the 4096uu was voted top in that poll... I'm feeling we should do that in the next contest then. :)
Hmmmm... what are the others think of this.
I mean for me is 4096uu not really a limitation. :noidea
Eviltom
Skilled

Post by Eviltom »

Quick question, the 4096uu limit, is this just to make sure people don't go crazy with map size?

Could we go bigger for visual effects as long as we keep a 4096uu play area?

I've got an idea based on a small island, but would need a larger non play area for blending into the skyzone!
Terraniux
Masterful

Post by Terraniux »

Oh btw, I remember that previous year some users had trouble finding a hosting /upload place for their work, I'm willing to give everyone upload space on my host.
They can use ftp or just drag and drop the files in explorer (network disk).
papercoffee
Godlike

Post by papercoffee »

Ok, if no one is objecting, then I say we can cancel the 4096uu limit but we keep the 10MB ...but as a soft limit.
Try to be under 10MB so that the pack won't be bloated.
Terraniux
Masterful

Post by Terraniux »

papercoffee wrote:Ok, if no one is objecting, then I say we can cancel the 4096uu limit but we keep the 10MB ...but as a soft limit.
I still find the 4096 a good option why the change? My host's got plenty of space, today's internet connection are pretty fast.
But I don't mind the removal of rule, I think others do.

My CrystalMine 4 is over 40960 uu in size, and has a minor 6mb. Rest are external packages. All other things except for brushes will eat size.
papercoffee
Godlike

Post by papercoffee »

Terraniux wrote:
papercoffee wrote:Ok, if no one is objecting, then I say we can cancel the 4096uu limit but we keep the 10MB ...but as a soft limit.
I still find the 4096 a good option why the change? My host's got plenty of space, today's internet connection are pretty fast.
But I don't mind the removal of rule, I think others do.

My CrystalMine 4 is over 40960 uu in size, and has a minor 6mb. Rest are external packages. All other things except for brushes will eat size.
Because I asked here viewtopic.php?p=99605#p99605 in my edited post. And no one said something. :noidea
Terraniux
Masterful

Post by Terraniux »

Well for me that is a imitation, the shortest map I ever made , except for CTF, was like 10240uu? But that is the challenge isn't it?
Since my maps are practically always big, going short really pushes me and makes me more creative to squeeze everything in it I'd like to make.
So on a personal level, get rid of the uu limit, but for the real ' competition ' we could use, keep the borders. I want a competition :D

I suggest we stick with the vote results, and wait a couple of days till people agree/disgree with the change, then make it final.
Chamberly
Godlike
Personal rank: Dame. Vandora

Post by Chamberly »

Copied & pasted from what I've posted in discord:
I've been thinking about a specific mapping contest for awhile. This idea I have in mind may seem to be too extreme and probably rather for high experienced mappers, but those who are new are welcome to step up their game and contribute as well.

Anyway, the concept of the mapping contest I had in mind is somewhat similiar to slogans that help push mappers forward - Mappers Got Talent! Or we can go with Let's Make Mapping Great Again!

The idea in these maps I'm rather looking forward is to use a lot of UT-provided content that push out detail and fancy stuff to use in the map. Some decos, some code related functionality to make something operate in the map, fancy design, and somewhat like a SMART technology mapping advancement? Maybe I've played too much Desu Ex to get these idea. lol.
Or mix up the ideas, idk.
Image Edit: Why does my sig not work anymore?
nogardilaref
Masterful
Personal rank: ⚋⚊⚌☰⚞⌖⚟☰⚌⚊⚋

Post by nogardilaref »

Like I mentioned previously: 4096uu is pretty much the size of DM-Deck16][ in the X and Y axis.
The reason for this limit is for mappers to not getting delayed and be able to finish things on time and be able to finish them properly.

However, I guess if there's a big enough outcry this can be extended, but mark my words when I say that, without a limit, most mappers who go big will have nothing to show for it at the deadline.
It might look that 6 weeks is a long time, but it really isn't.
OjitroC
Godlike

Post by OjitroC »

That does negate the outcome of the poll (and so calls into question the value of having a poll in the first place). It's clear that the limitation to 4096uu was favoured by a clear majority (10 votes as opposed to 9 for any other size limitation and to 6 for no size limitation) and similarly no limitation on the file size had a clear majority (9 votes) over any other file size (8 votes) and over a 10MB limit (6 votes).

There are clear advantages in keeping the 4096uu limit for the reasons set out by Terraniux and nogardilaref. Again having no limit on the file size (combined with dependencies being mylevel or default) enables a fair degree of creativity and innovation in the use of textures, decos, actors etc.