Mapping Contest Theme Discussion

Tutorials and discussions about Mapping - Introduce your own ones!
papercoffee
Godlike
Personal rank: coffee addicted !!!

Mapping Contest Theme Discussion

Post by papercoffee »

Let's discuss about the theme of the next contest.
Make suggestions and rant about it. :wink:
papercoffee wrote: Then I say, we should come closer to an agreement now.

- Game-types:
- Theme: any
- Filesize:
- Dimensions:
- Dependencies:
- Time: 4 weeks
- Requirements: full bot support and online playability

Most of us already agreed on the other parts but not on the thick marked parts.
Let's have a poll:
http://www.poll-maker.com/poll1139846x28424af7-48
The poll ends Aug 11, 2017 18:00 o'clock.
Spoiler
Last edited by papercoffee on Sun Aug 06, 2017 5:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.
nogardilaref
Masterful
Personal rank: ⚋⚊⚌☰⚞⌖⚟☰⚌⚊⚋

Re: Mapping Contest Theme Discussion

Post by nogardilaref »

papercoffee wrote: Make suggestions [...]
The theme shall be: maps made exclusively of perfect cubes. :rock:
papercoffee wrote: [...] and rant about it. :wink:
Perfect cubes suck! Screw whoever came up with that stupid idea! :mad2:

Jokes aside, I will be on vacation very soon, so probably I will have a little bit of time I can use to make this just for the fun of it, and since it's been a while...
So if we're going to really go through with this, I suggest that we work this out and that everything gets decided in the next couple of days.
I already have an idea for a very simple map (something that can be done in a day at most), nothing really fancy other than being mildly interactive/alive, and it doesn't matter which gametype we are set to, I can adapt it so I am OK with any that you guys decide upon.

As for my first and only suggestion:
- let's add a fairly tight constraint in terms of size. Not filesize, just "size" of the actual map, as in XYZ dimensions.

The reason for this being that, all of these contests end up being severely delayed and many end up not finishing their maps at all, and mostly because the mappers try something too ambitious and then end up not having time to finish it as RL kicks in and that's the end of it.

If we add a constraint in terms of size, it forces everyone to keep things simple and focused, as well as make it more artistic and creative since performance doesn't take such a great hit if the scale is kept small.
EvilGrins
Godlike
Personal rank: God of Fudge

Post by EvilGrins »

Urban, I love city maps... especially when based on actual places.

Realism · http://www.mapraider.com/maps/unreal-to ... ch/realism
http://unreal-games.livejournal.com/
medor wrote:Replace Skaarj with EvilGrins :mrgreen:
Smilies · viewtopic.php?f=8&t=13758
SilverSound
Adept
Personal rank: Curious

Post by SilverSound »

How about maps that are supposed to be alternate versions of existing maps?

I'm not talking: Open the map and just make changes.

I'm talking: Pick a map and it's theme, Use all the textures to make a map that would be considered it's brother or sister. Makes you really feel like this map is related.

That can be a good constraint. Can choose weather or not to let contestants choose a map or you can choose a map for all of us to try. (or even split it up into groups of people with each their own Map)

(optional)People could even be rated based on how others feel it "feels" related to the original map.

What do you guys think?
"Woah what?! I wish I was recording that...."
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

EvilGrins wrote:Urban, I love city maps... especially when based on actual places.
I was thinking that you read this:
nogardilaref wrote:let's add a fairly tight constraint in terms of size. Not filesize, just "size" of the actual map, as in XYZ dimensions.

The reason for this being that, all of these contests end up being severely delayed and many end up not finishing their maps at all, and mostly because the mappers try something too ambitious and then end up not having time to finish it as RL kicks in and that's the end of it.
Because these "City" types are time consuming and if i well recall a dude has started such an "Urban" map and I did not see anything finished yet - probably in 2020 it will be finished, and then fixed in 2021, redone in 2022 and so on...

In other direction a fast mapping contest = fast trash release. It takes at least 2 days of game-play and testing if you want a bug-free thing, not to mention time for mapping. And yes, a simple theme is suitable for a contest rather than wasting time for an ass which no one will enjoy.

Now do you want me to share my idea ?
Is simple, a map with at least 3 Lifts also in a 3072 UU cube space and FULL Bot Support. This theme is easy and it doesn't take 6 months for doing the task, and we have discarded by default plonkers which doesn't know Bot Support and only guessing things - so it will head to a hyper quality contest because admins doesn't need stuff rammed to load in servers.
Ignore me if you don't like this proposal.
UnrealGGecko
Godlike
Personal rank: GEx the Gecko

Post by UnrealGGecko »

Really wanna re-do either the 3072 UU or the 512k contest... I kept doing too difficult maps that I would't finish, so now I think I'll be doing a CTF-Thorns like map to release at least SOMETHING :lol2:

And yes... bot-support... Definetly bot-support!
ANUBITEK
Adept

Post by ANUBITEK »

Why not a unique pit map competition? I always wanted to do another pit map, Doom-horror inspired and with unique stage hazards other than an acid canal. Also size restrictions should be a thing.

Also include 1 easter egg? :D
<<| http://uncodex.ut-files.com/ |>>

Code reference for UGold, UT99, Unreal2, UT2k3, UT3
Additional Beyond Unreal Wiki Links
wiki.beyondunreal.com/Legacy:Console_Bar
wiki.beyondunreal.com/Exec_commands#Load
wiki.beyondunreal.com/Legacy:Exec_Directive#Loading_Other_Packages
wiki.beyondunreal.com/Legacy:Config_Vars_And_.Ini_Files
wiki.beyondunreal.com/Legacy:INT_File
EvilGrins
Godlike
Personal rank: God of Fudge

Post by EvilGrins »

sektor2111 wrote:Because these "City" types are time consuming
It doesn't have to be New York of San Francisco.

I've got some urban city maps that're not much bigger than DM-Morbias, just a couple blocks.
http://unreal-games.livejournal.com/
medor wrote:Replace Skaarj with EvilGrins :mrgreen:
Smilies · viewtopic.php?f=8&t=13758
Eviltom
Skilled

Post by Eviltom »

I'm pretty limited for time, but will try and make something. Setting size limits uu or KB sounds good to me!

I like the idea of a small pit/arena style map.
nogardilaref
Masterful

Post by nogardilaref »

Eviltom wrote:I'm pretty limited for time, but will try and make something. Setting size limits uu or KB sounds good to me!
Same situation here. If limits are set and we attempt to do something more simple this time, I will very likely be able to contribute something.

I don't want to spend much more than a day worth of work into a map, since there's something else I need to allocate most of my free time to.
It will have everything a decent map should have, including bot support, and is meant to be innovative in its own way (not going to rehash any existing stuff).

So if a bunch of complicated constraints are decided, or if the scope of the project becomes too grand, I'm out, and I think it won't work out not only for me, but I imagine that 90% of what's left of the community won't be able to dedicate that kind of time and patience for something like this.

Therefore, beyond the proposal of a small map to be made, a constraint of time of perhaps about 2 weeks would be good (as the free time will vary from person to person, but 2 weeks should be enough for everyone).
papercoffee
Godlike
Personal rank: coffee addicted !!!

Post by papercoffee »

I'm not for a harsh time-limit but I like the idea of a space or size limit.
PrinceOfFunky
Godlike

Post by PrinceOfFunky »

I'm sad to say that I'll probably not being able to partecipate in the contest since after some time in all the maps I make, bHidden turns to False to all the actors, and I cannot waste my time checking for all actors.
(Unless I publish the map with all actors having bHidden set to False, and then I set bHidden to True to specific actors in "PostPublishing")
"Your stuff is known to be buggy and unfinished/not properly tested"
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

Maybe you can finally restore your screwed UT with a fresh install (especially Engine.u file) - else your maps are going to be exactly as in previous contest - UNPLAYABLE.
nogardilaref
Masterful

Post by nogardilaref »

papercoffee wrote:I'm not for a harsh time-limit but I like the idea of a space or size limit.
Well, we should have some sort of short time limit, or it will never get finished or will be forgotten by the time the deadline comes.

Actually, now that I think about it, both space and size should be limited, as well as the total number and size of used packages.
I fear that if those are not constraints, we will end up with small maps but with hundreds of MB in size, or dozens of dependencies to other packages.

I don't say it should be 100% vanilla, but we should try to be close to it, something that both bots can play as well online players without waiting an eternity to download them.
PrinceOfFunky wrote:I'm sad to say that I'll probably not being able to partecipate in the contest since after some time in all the maps I make, bHidden turns to False to all the actors, and I cannot waste my time checking for all actors.
(Unless I publish the map with all actors having bHidden set to False, and then I set bHidden to True to specific actors in "PostPublishing")
Do you have 5 minutes to talk about our dear lord and savior "clean install"? :mrgreen:
Terraniux
Masterful
Personal rank: Banished member

Post by Terraniux »

My suggestion:

We make a unique map, like nothing before seen, without boundaries.
-
Also, I like the urban theme suggested by EG too.
This member can only post when permitted.