Mapping Contest Theme Discussion

Tutorials and discussions about Mapping - Introduce your own ones!
JackGriffin
Godlike
Personal rank: -Retired-

Re: Mapping Contest Theme Discussion

Post by JackGriffin »

Yeah, I think you nailed this one. It's eye-catching but not in a bad way and will obviously be seen as what it is no matter the map it's placed in.
So long, and thanks for all the fish
Terraniux
Masterful
Personal rank: Banished member

Post by Terraniux »

Here is a masked pcx in 256x256 format:
Attachments
ut99.zip
masked pcx
(42.66 KiB) Downloaded 133 times
This member can only post when permitted.
nogardilaref
Masterful
Personal rank: ⚋⚊⚌☰⚞⌖⚟☰⚌⚊⚋

Post by nogardilaref »

And here's the same, but 1024x1024 version:
ut99org_cmc03_1024.zip
(563.75 KiB) Downloaded 124 times
:mrgreen:
UnrealGGecko
Godlike
Personal rank: GEx the Gecko

Post by UnrealGGecko »

Can someone get me the final rule list please? I'm really busy at work at the moment and gotta get that contest thread up ASAP!

Thanks!
papercoffee
Godlike
Personal rank: coffee addicted !!!

Post by papercoffee »

I just want to say ...THANK YOU GUYS!! :tu:
I have no UT or any of the files here. So I can only write.

Ok ...the Rules:
-Theme of the contest is CHAOS ...spooky bloody chaos! Inspiration, textures and decoration can be taken out of the Chaos-UT mod.
No weapon placement from this mod ...we want this maps playable for everyone. Even for people without Chaos-UT installed.
-The playable area must be inside a 4096²uu space. 1 bonus-point if you can get even the sky-zone inside that space.
-The file size should be reasonable. 1 bonus-point if you can keep it under 10 MB
-Dependencies. You can use any pack (u/utx/umx/usx/dll?) you want, but must include any exotic one into your submission, which has to be an uncompressed zip file.
These packages will be added to the total file size.
-Any game-type allowed.
-The contest badge must be placed somewhere into the map on a visible place. Not just in some easter-egg room.

Strart of the contest is 1st of September and ends on Friday the 13th in October. :twisted: ...I hope no one is superstitious.

Did I forget something?
Ok, gotta go.
OjitroC
Godlike

Post by OjitroC »

papercoffee wrote: -Dependencies. You can use any pack (u/utx/umx/usx/dll?) you want, but must include any exotic one into your submission, which has to be an uncompressed zip file.
The consensus view was that there should be no more than 4 external dependencies - see viewtopic.php?f=5&t=12318&start=180#p99877

The other requirements (rules) are "Requirements: full bot support and online playability" - see viewtopic.php?f=5&t=12318#p99046

The awarding of bonus points for keeping the .zip file below 10MB and for including the sky box within the 4096uu map size limit suggests that the outcome of the competition will be decided on the basis of points awarded to each map (otherwise there is no point in awarding bonus points). This further suggests that a 'scoring scheme' needs to be devised including the criteria against which maps will be judged (in addition to meeting the limitations set out in the rules) and the points range for each criterion.
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

papercoffee wrote:(u/utx/umx/usx/dll?)
I think you forgot UAX and a couple of clarifications for someone less intelligent like me:
- when map is using "usx" - or it was uax ?
- I don't recall any hint for serving a map via server requiring a DLL file which a clean client will not deal with it. Manual adding stuff won't be that welcomed. Probably I have to ask 100 times how to host a map ON-Line requiring DLL stuff ready for a plain Vanilla client. If you don't make light for me (probably for others as well) then quit to even think about it - is would be useless for servers...
If exist valid support for such things do speak, else KEEP Standards and we can close this subject.
papercoffee
Godlike

Post by papercoffee »

UnrealGGecko wrote:Can someone get me the final rule list please?
papercoffee wrote: -Theme of the contest is CHAOS ...spooky bloody chaos! Inspiration, textures and decoration can be taken out of the Chaos-UT mod.
No weapon placement from this mod ...we want this maps playable for everyone. Even for people without Chaos-UT installed.
-Requirements: full bot support and online playability
-The playable area must be inside a 4096²uu space. 1 bonus-point if you can get even the sky-zone inside that space.
-The file size should be reasonable. 1 bonus-point if you can keep it under 10 MB
-Dependencies. You can use any pack (u/utx/umx/uax) you want, but must include any exotic one into your submission, which has to be an uncompressed zip file.
-Any game-type allowed.
-The contest badge must be placed somewhere into the map on a visible place. Not just in some easter-egg room.

Strart of the contest is 1st of September and ends on Friday the 13th in October. :twisted: ...I hope no one is superstitious.

Did I forget something?
sektor2111 wrote:I don't recall any hint for serving a map via server requiring a DLL
It was a joke... that's why I placed a "?" behind it.
And of course I meant uax ... silly me.
OjitroC wrote:The awarding of bonus points for keeping the .zip file below 10MB and for including the sky box within the 4096uu map size limit suggests that the outcome of the competition will be decided on the basis of points awarded to each map (otherwise there is no point in awarding bonus points). This further suggests that a 'scoring scheme' needs to be devised including the criteria against which maps will be judged (in addition to meeting the limitations set out in the rules) and the points range for each criterion.
Yes, it's called the "Participant Vote" like the last years (in an extra thread). Each participant have to choose 3 maps of the entries and have to give 3 points for the best, 2 for the second favorite and 1 point for the weakest but still liked map (to choose his/her own map is prohibited).
Afterwards are given bonus points for those who stayed in the limitation.
I decided to give bonus instead of penalty points because of the positive psychological aspect. :wink:
The winner of this vote is the winner of the contest.

The "gamers choise" vote will decide the most favorite map of the masses and will have its own thread.

Edit-------------------
And I forgot, the UT-Chaos decorations are shipped with the final mappack ... right Dr.Flay? This means you don't have to MyLevel or include it into your submission.
Or are the deco stuff inside the main mod .u file ..... Arghhh I forgot to check this. Can somebody please confirm?
Terraniux
Masterful
Personal rank: Banished member

Post by Terraniux »

Wait, there more to be added on the official topic, in case people forgot : people can use my host freely to upload screenshots, movies, maps, and project stuff!

Only if they want / need to! I mailed paper the details, unless he is too busy, you can ask me, and I will assign you an ftp account, which you can add in my computer as network drive!
This member can only post when permitted.
OjitroC
Godlike

Post by OjitroC »

papercoffee wrote: Dependencies. You can use any pack (u/utx/umx/uax) you want, but must include any exotic one into your submission, which has to be an uncompressed zip file.
I have no desire to be pedantic but surely a zip file is, by definition, compressed? Just to clarify - there is no limit on the number of dependencies?
papercoffee wrote: Or are the deco stuff inside the main mod .u file ..... Arghhh I forgot to check this. Can somebody please confirm?
The deco stuff is mainly in Chaos_Decor.u and UTChaosMap.u - this is a quick list of the Chaos files containing stuff people might want to use in their maps
Spoiler
Chaossounds.uax contains 'real life' sounds
ChaosMapSounds.uax contains ambient sounds (birds, thunder, wind, etc)
Chaos_Decor.u contains logos/banners (decorations)
UTChaosMap.u contains decos (skulls, stoneproxies, etc)
chaostrees.u contains trees/vegetation
chaos1.utx contains snow, stained-glass, etc textures
chaostex.utx contains smoke, backgrounds, masks textures
papercoffee
Godlike

Post by papercoffee »

OjitroC wrote:I have no desire to be pedantic but surely a zip file is, by definition, compressed?
Hmmmm... I can decide in my 7zip packer if a zip file is compressed or just saved. If saved, the bites (file size) stays the same. :noidea
Ok what about we say, the sum of all files inside a zip file should not be bigger than 10 MB.

Someone else feeling like nitpicking? :ironic:
If yes, say it now. Today is the last chance.
Terraniux wrote:people can use my host freely to upload screenshots, movies, maps, and project stuff!
Thanks, I forgot about it.
I use now my sta.sh host ...or was the last badge again for you complicated to see? (the 1024 pixel version)

Well, tomorrow I'll bee offline.
Gecko, you can do it. :tu: