Mapping Contest Theme Discussion

Tutorials and discussions about Mapping - Introduce your own ones!
nogardilaref
Masterful
Personal rank: ⚋⚊⚌☰⚞⌖⚟☰⚌⚊⚋

Re: Mapping Contest Theme Discussion

Post by nogardilaref »

makemeunreal wrote:Limitin' the game area and the filesize so strict is like a ... dumb?! thing.
Did you ever participate or saw a mapping contest?
If both the size and game area are not limited, mappers won't be able to finish anything on time, and there will be 80MB maps with 100MB in dependencies needed to be sorted out.

If suddenly everyone decides to go in that direction, the entire mappack will fail since no one will have anything to release at the deadline, and once they do then the whole thing will be GB worth.
It will be a dead end, and it happens all the time whenever full freedom is given in a mappack, history has proven as much.

If we impose certain limits though, then there's a lot more discipline, and forces mappers to be creative in other ways, while actually releasing something on time and worthwhile to be downloaded and played, both single and multiplayer.
This is essentially the KISS principle.
makemeunreal
Masterful

Post by makemeunreal »

512 kB contest was okay. The "exotic theme" of the contest was this filesize limitation. But limitin' both dimensions and filesize that strict. Nevermind. I'm out. :P
You guys know better.

Ps: Yes I did. :'D
nogardilaref
Masterful

Post by nogardilaref »

"That strict"? What do you exactly define as "strict"? Don't tell me you're actually comparing a 512KB contest with this, given the actual proposed limits?

The limits proposed here are in the order of the tens of MB, and the dimensions around the size of the entire DM-Deck16][ map.
As you can see we're still trying to reach a consensus, but I don't see how any of the limitations proposed can be considered "strict" at all.
UnrealGGecko
Godlike
Personal rank: GEx the Gecko

Post by UnrealGGecko »

makemeunreal wrote:512 kB contest was okay. The "exotic theme" of the contest was this filesize limitation. But limitin' both dimensions and filesize that strict. Nevermind. I'm out. :P
You guys know better.

Ps: Yes I did. :'D
Dude, last year you made a 3072 contest map and didn't even use up 10MB, remember? Suddenly same stipulations only 10x the filesize is too harsh? :loool: :lol2:
Red_Fist
Godlike

Post by Red_Fist »

I think file size should not be in the mix at all, unless you are specifically trying to beat only that mark for a contest.

The whole idea of file size is to do just that, and for making things work the use of MyLevel for non stock actors should be allowed.

Also the amount of space, big DM maps are not that good, only for sniper types.

I think it needs some other aspect for "contest" maybe all outdoors maps ?
Binary Space Partitioning
'Zac
Experienced
Personal rank: Who knows.

Post by 'Zac »

i have a cool idea:

so you know how when u start up UT theres that cinematic intro? maybe all of us can use those same techniques in that map with the camera and moving objects to create a new cinematic intro thatll be cool as hell?
Prophunt for UT99!!!
Github
papercoffee
Godlike
Personal rank: coffee addicted !!!

Post by papercoffee »

Ok... the forced layout is not discussed any more.

Then I say, we should come closer to an agreement now.

- Game-types:
- Theme: any
- Filesize:
- Dimensions:
- Dependencies:
- Time: 4 weeks
- Requirements: full bot support and online playability

Most of us already agreed on the other parts but not on the thick marked parts.
Let's have a poll:
http://www.poll-maker.com/poll1139846x28424af7-48
The poll ends Aug 11, 2017 18:00 o'clock.
Spoiler
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

Apart of size and condition complains, me personally I've found 3072 contest a cute thing, and I did even the "smallest" MH map - out of contest, just as a training for myself... So what's the problem of limited space ? Of course in a small space probably stuff will go limited as well... unless you will add some multi-framed Screenshot having 200 MB in an entire movie...
Leaving "screenshoting" in outside, in a limited space like in 3072 contest, file size goes limited as well because probably you will want some play-zone not only painted walls...
Last edited by sektor2111 on Sun Aug 06, 2017 6:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
nogardilaref
Masterful

Post by nogardilaref »

Red_Fist wrote:I think file size should not be in the mix at all, unless you are specifically trying to beat only that mark for a contest.

The whole idea of file size is to do just that, and for making things work the use of MyLevel for non stock actors should be allowed.
The idea of file size is whatever we make out of it.
In 512kB contests the whole goal is to do the best thing possible within that size, here however the goal of setting a maximum size is completely different, it's to avoid mappers to drift away into doing something way too massive for the given time, and to be even properly played.

If an unlimited size is allowed, it's highly likely we'll be seeing gigantic maps which will be either unfinished or unpolished by the time the deadline comes, and then extensions will be asked, and granted since the community is nice like that, and then the whole thing will dilate and those who happen to make something simpler for the given time will be the ones negatively affected by this, but will also be the ones whose maps actually play out better.
And then at the end, some won't even be able to release something, making the whole thing pointless.

For a normal community mappack with a rather long development time, such as 6 months for example, sizes do not and should not matter, but now for something to be made in 4 weeks at most, I think it should.
This is of course just my opinion, based on what happened before, but if no size limit is set, then OK, then I will just hope that I am wrong and won't have to refer to this very post in the future as a "I told you so" manner.
'Zac wrote:i have a cool idea:

so you know how when u start up UT theres that cinematic intro? maybe all of us can use those same techniques in that map with the camera and moving objects to create a new cinematic intro thatll be cool as hell?
Actually.... that's indeed a cool idea. :mrgreen:
I don't remember that having ever been done before.
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

'Zac wrote:so you know how when u start up UT theres that cinematic intro? maybe all of us can use those same techniques in that map with the camera and moving objects to create a new cinematic intro thatll be cool as hell?
I have already a new cinematic intro - done in 2004 if I well recall, for sure I don't see a purpose of such things for servers... else I don't think the hell is cool...
those "Interpolations" don't work ON-Line :sleep: .
papercoffee
Godlike
Personal rank: coffee addicted !!!

Post by papercoffee »

Bump for justice... I mean for votes
Terraniux
Masterful
Personal rank: Banished member

Post by Terraniux »

thanks paper coffee for taking my advice / statements into account. :tu:
Spoiler
If I'm right, let me sum some thing down a bit:

1. If there is not time limited, it will (n)ever be released in time. Therefore a timelimit must be
2. If there is no time limit we automatically go big. Therefore we should use a XZY limit.
3. Best way to sort out votes , like all previous years, we have votes. Therefore we use a POLL.
4. To keep things fun, we use an original idea. Therefore we must come to an agreement, wether you like it or not.
5. We all want to map, and we all have bursting ideas, so it allways be fun. Therefore we should take the risk to do what others want in general .

There you have it folks, copy / paste it. Unless I made an error in my statement(s) , correct me. :thuup:
We should use this thing everytime then.

I voted for : Any Game type, any file limit, 4096 uu and mylevel + default. That is a pretty good solid base for the next comp if you ask me. 8)
This member can only post when permitted.
EvilGrins
Godlike
Personal rank: God of Fudge

Post by EvilGrins »

If this hasn't been mentioned yet, don't schedule the contest during the Holiday Season.

People get too distracted.
http://unreal-games.livejournal.com/
medor wrote:Replace Skaarj with EvilGrins :mrgreen:
Smilies · viewtopic.php?f=8&t=13758
nogardilaref
Masterful

Post by nogardilaref »

Uh? It's during holidays people have more time to dedicate some of it to this sort of thing, so it's actually the best time for it.
OjitroC
Godlike

Post by OjitroC »

I think that when EG says "the Holiday Season", he is alluding to Christmas/New Year (but I might be wrong about that).