Mapping Contest Theme Discussion

Tutorials and discussions about Mapping - Introduce your own ones!
nogardilaref
Masterful
Personal rank: ⚋⚊⚌☰⚞⌖⚟☰⚌⚊⚋

Re: Mapping Contest Theme Discussion

Post by nogardilaref »

OjitroC wrote:
nogardilaref wrote: .. So it seems to me that people have indeed such a time in that season.
Have a look through the 2015 Terrain Mapping Contest thread (viewtopic.php?f=5&t=6550#p77099) and you'll see it was the timing (mid-November to mid-January), as much as the theme, that led to the low number of submissions and the other problems. So I think it is fair to say that there is some evidence to back EG's point that this is a period to avoid.
Yeah, it seems to be that way.
Although 2 years prior that wasn't a problem, although it was a 48h mapping contest and not 2 months one, but I doubt that a 48h contest could be made at any other time in the year except during summer, and that one seems to have required terrain for the maps, which is a nightmare in this engine.
I guess it actually depends on the theme, scope and timing of the whole thing.
papercoffee wrote:OK, TO ALL .... stop talking about X-mas and the holidays around it. We won't wait till the end of the year till this contest starts, that's for sure. :mad2:
Roger. :thuup:
papercoffee wrote:I say, we start this event next month and have maps ready before Halloween even begins. That way we have many nice maps we can slap on a server and play them during the spooky season.
Do you mean that this would last 8 weeks then?
papercoffee
Godlike
Personal rank: coffee addicted !!!

Post by papercoffee »

nogardilaref wrote:
papercoffee wrote:I say, we start this event next month and have maps ready before Halloween even begins. That way we have many nice maps we can slap on a server and play them during the spooky season.
Hrgplfffff... No 4 !!!
I say, we start in the middle of September and end it in the middle of October ...What do you think?
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

48h for a contest = bad contest idea. I sustain this anytime. Explanation: In 48 hours you cannot make a good map tested properly and with correct Bot Support. Evidences are visible. Simply there is no time for quality, so excuse me but if you ever want such a contest I'm out by default, I'm not rushing my work. A contest should be a quality thing not a competition for releasing UNR files.
nogardilaref
Masterful
Personal rank: ⚋⚊⚌☰⚞⌖⚟☰⚌⚊⚋

Post by nogardilaref »

papercoffee wrote:
nogardilaref wrote:
Hrgplfffff... No 4 !!!
I say, we start in the middle of September and end it in the middle of October ...What do you think?
I think that we are continually moving the goal posts...
If we're going to do a Halloween theme, and since we're still 11 weeks away, probably the time should really get expanded into 6 weeks, starting at the beginning of September.
Last edited by nogardilaref on Thu Aug 10, 2017 8:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
papercoffee
Godlike

Post by papercoffee »

nogardilaref wrote:probably the time should really get expanded into 6 weeks, starting at the beginning of September.
Deal!
Terraniux
Masterful
Personal rank: Banished member

Post by Terraniux »

Is the chaos theme a go then? If so, someone explain what is chaos again and how does it look? :???: I remember playing it once or two but never much, since I ever sticked to the regular stuff.

A search on the web got me this: https://www.epicgames.com/unrealtournam ... -of-chaos/ but I aint much wiser.
This member can only post when permitted.
papercoffee
Godlike

Post by papercoffee »

Terraniux wrote:Is the chaos theme a go then? If so, someone explain what is chaos again and how does it look? :???: I remember playing it once or two but never much, since I ever sticked to the regular stuff.

A search on the web got me this: https://www.epicgames.com/unrealtournam ... -of-chaos/ but I aint much wiser.
https://chaoticdreams.org/about-us/
If you have the GOTY version of UT is Chaos already installed ...but you should update to the newest version from the original page. Many decorations are included already.
Because not everyone has the GOTY version and not everyone has the newest mod, I recommend to MyLevel everything you use from there.
OjitroC
Godlike

Post by OjitroC »

Terraniux wrote:Is the chaos theme a go then? If so, someone explain what is chaos again and how does it look?
Did you have a look at https://chaoticdreams.org/chaosut/ and the links from there?
Chaos doesn’t have any real sense behind it’s construction. In principle it’s only a bunch of weird and cool things tied together; …simply “chaotic”.
Dr.Flay
Godlike
Personal rank: Chaos Evangelist

Post by Dr.Flay »

:wtf:
:rock:

1) I wish I hadn't mentioned Halloween
2) Bugger me sideways !! (to use an old English phrase)

This is unexpected after all the times I suggested it, and very welcome indeed.
The Chaos devs will be very amused by this and may even try the maps.
Papercoffee got my point, the Halloween idea is just that by then there should be a nice new collection of horror-ish maps available already with no deadline stress.

Note:
The final version 1.1 on the site does not add more mapping resources, just fixes and new weapons.
It is still advisable to install the final version as it also includes some fixes for online games, and you will not be able to connect to the official ChaosUT servers (kindly hosted by Errorist networks).

Chaos description https://www.ut99.org/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=12335
papercoffee
Godlike

Post by papercoffee »

But keep in mind, we want maps playable also on non Chaos server or with other mods ...so If you use the Chaos deco don't place Chaos weapons and pick-ups in your map. Chaos will replace the default weapons properly.
Terraniux
Masterful
Personal rank: Banished member

Post by Terraniux »

Thanks for the info everyone.

SO if I understand correctly ; Chaos is a MOD that uses default or custom maps, apart from the gametype (CTF/DM/DOM etc...? ???

so lets say I want to make MH, then put certain actors in my map from the Chaos mod in my map? Is that right?
This member can only post when permitted.
papercoffee
Godlike

Post by papercoffee »

Terraniux wrote: so lets say I want to make MH, then put certain actors in my map from the Chaos mod in my map? Is that right?
Everything from decos and textures from Chaos is ok.
SilverSound
Adept
Personal rank: Curious

Post by SilverSound »

Cool. So I'll fresh install ChaosUT on my non-modding install of UT. (I use that one for Map creating)

I'll have to start thinking up Ideas. Should I try CTF again? (I think that might have been a mistake the first time to be honest.)
"Woah what?! I wish I was recording that...."
papercoffee
Godlike

Post by papercoffee »

Those are the results:
  • Game-types: any 13 16%
    Game-types: DM 3 4%
    Game-types: CTF 3 4%
    Game-types: DOM 4 5%
    Game-types: AS 2 3%
    Game-types: MH 1 1%
    Filesize: any 9 11%
    Filesize: 2MB 0 0%
    Filesize: 5MB 2 3%
    Filesize: 10MB 6 8%
    Dimensions: any 6 8%
    Dimensions: 2048uu 0 0%
    Dimensions: 3072uu 3 4%
    Dimensions: 4096uu 10 13%
    Dependencies: any 5 6%
    Dependencies: MyLevel only 2 3%
    Dependencies: default files only 0 0%
    Dependencies: MyLev and def 10 13%
Now we have the rules and the theme will be Chaos/Halloween.

Name suggestions:
  1. Autumn Chaos Contest
  2. Spooky Mapping Contest
  3. Undead Chaos Mapping
  4. Mapping Contest of Hell
Dr.Flay
Godlike
Personal rank: Chaos Evangelist

Post by Dr.Flay »

To clarify;

If you stick with the textures, decos and sounds, the maps will work without Chaos, and you will not have version conflicts.

Chaos game play is either via game types, or by adding the mutator to other games you like (the Relics are very nice for MH and mix well with NW3 pickups)
Using the mod adds extra powerups and swaps the standard UT weapons.
There is only 1 custom map prefix "KOTH", all the other Chaos types are signified after the regular game prefix, so maps will work in normal UT modes.