Mapping Contest Theme Discussion

Tutorials and discussions about Mapping - Introduce your own ones!
papercoffee
Godlike
Personal rank: coffee addicted !!!

Re: Mapping Contest Theme Discussion

Post by papercoffee »

I just search for the KOTH maps.
Ugh ...and this one map is from Kaal.
SteadZ
Average
Personal rank: 1337

Post by SteadZ »

I've been wanting to do a mapping contest for ages, but always seem to miss them on here.
So I guess you can count me in :D

SZ
"The problem with dreams is... you never know when you're gonna wake up"

papercoffee
Godlike

Post by papercoffee »

SteadZ wrote:I've been wanting to do a mapping contest for ages, but always seem to miss them on here.
So I guess you can count me in :D

SZ
Welcome and have fun with the contest. It starts 1st of September. :wink:
nogardilaref
Masterful
Personal rank: ⚋⚊⚌☰⚞⌖⚟☰⚌⚊⚋

Post by nogardilaref »

On the MyLevel topic.
I know there was a poll, but on this regard there was no middle ground to choose from there: it was either standard, MyLevel or a "free for all".

I suggested back then to be both MyLevel and maybe a few dependencies at most (like 2 or 3 tops), specially since there are some packages which are common throughout many maps, such as texture packs (Hourences for example), music and even some custom coded stuff which is quite tricky to MyLevel without breaking anything down the line.

So my question is: can we at least allow up to 2 or 3 external dependencies for the maps?
(in my case I am only thinking of 1 which might give some issues if MyLevel'd)
Red_Fist
Godlike

Post by Red_Fist »

Rather than getting a new file, just export the texture from the pack and import into mylevel, if you are only using one or two of the textures. I even do that with stock textures rather than have it get into a mass of textures to look for at game startup.
Binary Space Partitioning
SilverSound
Adept
Personal rank: Curious

Post by SilverSound »

That would be true for me but I have a modern pc that can run modern games at high fidelity. So I don't think about it that much.

I mean come on.....it's a little ridiculous now for people to have 2.0 gigahertz CPUS and poop graphics with windows xp.....

You could spend 300 dollers and get an upgrade!! All in one!!

I don't ever get any slow down on the game in anyway. (Unless mapper bogs the engine)
But I can handle 3000 bots in one game with out crashing for example.
"Woah what?! I wish I was recording that...."
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

SilverSound wrote:But I can handle 3000 bots in one game with out crashing for example.
False - I know what I'm saying - it's not crashing but game do runs unplayable - me still having doubts about crashing based on gibs developed - LOL.
And... it's NOTHING ridiculous to save memory by not loading UNUSED textures. Package has 10 MB ? Why do I need 10 MB if I'm using 30 kb ? For loading memory with useless content ? Maybe I'm not running only UT at time - why should I eat memory for nothings ? Like I asked before: WHERE is optimization ? If I'm using a sum of 1.5 GB packages why should I share all mountain of crap for a few tiny farts ? Now this is ridiculous, not to mention already said a half useless insane CPU SPEED for this old engine having hard-coded limits which are not taking in account your super duper CPU. And so we are returning to things already debated.
Last edited by sektor2111 on Fri Aug 25, 2017 7:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SilverSound
Adept

Post by SilverSound »

You missed what I was saying.

I have a personal view that people who still own old machines are in a bit of a ridiculous spot. I do optimize my maps. Editor actually only opens the texutres it needs from the package anyway. (from what I've seen).

And don't tell me 3000 bots in a playable game is false. I've done it. Impacthammer only on a large open map in fact.

It was like a mid-evil war! Should do that with chaos swords...
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

SilverSound wrote:And don't tell me 3000 bots in a playable game is false. I've done it. Impacthammer only on a large open map in fact.
Ahah, waiting and doing nothing, because paths are pretty nasty in big maps. I will believe this fantasy when I'll see a video... and I'm gonna save that video forever in my repositories, and evidences if were 3000 Bots there using logs not stories...

Else you have failed RedFist's post. He was saying to load in MyLevel only used things not external entire file. Read well what man was saying. Sample: UTTech4.utx ~= 13MB - using ONE texture in map. Why do I need entire UTX ? Nope, I'm exporting needed texture and import it in next session in MyLevel. That simple. When map is being loaded for play, server/game won't read 13 MB of 99% NONE used, but it loads exactly what is needed from MyLevel. THIS IS what I'm trying to explain. Perhaps you don't understand because you don't know how to do such optimization... nvm.
Last edited by sektor2111 on Fri Aug 25, 2017 7:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SilverSound
Adept

Post by SilverSound »

Sektor I know what redfist said. I did in deed read the post. I did also say that I optimize my own maps. I don't want hostilities over mapping and how bots work on other peoples machines. It's not worth it. :nonono:
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

It's nothing hostile, I just can't wait to see that video... :lol2:
SilverSound
Adept

Post by SilverSound »

I should do that. Could be interesting to watch actually.

Both with hammers and swords. The epic battle. Though you can forget any sort of actual roaming. It's all them following me. Unless maps is big and has all the nodes it could ever need.

I think I used a siege map.
papercoffee
Godlike

Post by papercoffee »

SilverSound wrote:I mean come on.....it's a little ridiculous now for people to have 2.0 gigahertz CPUS and poop graphics with windows xp.....
You could spend 300 dollers and get an upgrade!! All in one!!
SilverSound wrote:I have a personal view that people who still own old machines are in a bit of a ridiculous spot.
Thanks ...I don't have the money to buy a new machine, do you remember my thread about my fragged Laptop? A really nice guy from this forum helped me and donated a nice PC to me. Nice but still old. And I don't have money to buy a newer Wind'oh.

If you really have that much money and say it's nothing ...please donate it to me, in return you will get a nice printable drawing. You decide what I have to draw ...for 300 bugs... I paint you Mona Lisa... nude...

Now back to topic please.
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

Yeah, let's get into topic and we will chat about hardware stuff in other location where I will tell you why I won't buy anything even with money sitting nice in their box.

Chaos were you saying... well I was intended to a MH map and I cannot really imagine a Chaos scenario without to... quote "awesome" chaos codes having as usual nothing for monsters. And then a full charge with crapped errors spam will be in console even crashing or running borked. What for my efforts ? I don't have any single reason to mix Chaos with MH just for releasing some UNR file. I just read this topic tracking events and replying in some cases. I got that logo for Editor - some good info from here if exist. As for participation I will be probably nearby not inside - maybe doing some "badge" map... :| .