Mapping Contest Theme Discussion

Tutorials and discussions about Mapping - Introduce your own ones!
editor Dave
Inhuman
Personal rank: Passionate SP Mapper

Re: Mapping Contest Theme Discussion

Post by editor Dave »

nogardilaref wrote:
papercoffee wrote:I'm not for a harsh time-limit but I like the idea of a space or size limit.
Well, we should have some sort of short time limit, or it will never get finished or will be forgotten by the time the deadline comes.
This reminds me of the Community Map which started exceptionally well since we motivated each other with screenshots and finished rooms in no time, but then there was a certain drop in releases and everything else slowed down as well. In the end, it took 2 years to finish the project, even though in the first few weeks maybe 80% was done. So yeah, some soft time-limit should be there in any case. :mrgreen:

This brings me to my idea: How about someone creates a few rooms or maybe even the whole floorplan and then the mappers are asked to freely expand on it or just decorate it in their visionary theme?
10-Year Anniversary on Jun 08, 2019.
nogardilaref
Masterful
Personal rank: ⚋⚊⚌☰⚞⌖⚟☰⚌⚊⚋

Post by nogardilaref »

Terraniux wrote:My suggestion:

We make a unique map, like nothing before seen, without boundaries.
Something similar was done before... it took so long people forgot to contribute to it, and then around 2 years later it was finished, as editor Dave pointed out above.
editor Dave wrote: This brings me to my idea: How about someone creates a few rooms or maybe even the whole floorplan and then the mappers are asked to freely expand on it or just decorate it in their visionary theme?
I don't like the idea of having a mapping template, too limitative and might prove to be annoying to fix bugs in the end.
But if it was somehow "drawn" instead through a few images the kind of "shape" we had to start from (from papercoffee perhaps), that would be fine by me.
PrinceOfFunky
Godlike

Post by PrinceOfFunky »

editor Dave wrote: This brings me to my idea: How about someone creates a few rooms or maybe even the whole floorplan and then the mappers are asked to freely expand on it or just decorate it in their visionary theme?
I thought about it last year /o\
nogardilaref wrote:But if it was somehow "drawn" instead through a few images the kind of "shape" we had to start from
Maybe there could be one contest for the best concept-art(maybe without prizes) and one for the best map(which has to be based on the concept-art theme).
"Your stuff is known to be buggy and unfinished/not properly tested"
Red_Fist
Godlike

Post by Red_Fist »

Prize:
Not go to Hell.

Contest: make MH or SP or burn in Hell. :mrgreen: :lol:

Need new rules, size and byte size are ok, but getting mundane. :noidea
Binary Space Partitioning
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

Hey, if we lack in creativity we can do a different thing:
Picking up a messed up map and doing a fixed remade - so we can recover some trash done last years.
nogardilaref
Masterful

Post by nogardilaref »

sektor2111 wrote:Hey, if we lack in creativity we can do a different thing:
Picking up a messed up map and doing a fixed remade - so we can recover some trash done last years.
papercoffee
Godlike
Personal rank: coffee addicted !!!

Post by papercoffee »

nogardilaref wrote:
I don't like the idea of having a mapping template, too limitative and might prove to be annoying to fix bugs in the end.
But if it was somehow "drawn" instead through a few images the kind of "shape" we had to start from (from papercoffee perhaps), that would be fine by me.
I can do this. I have two map layouts which were planed to be maps for the Food Fight game mode GTF "Get The Fries". Those layouts can be modified for CTF for example.
SilverSound
Adept
Personal rank: Curious

Post by SilverSound »

What about all the contestants make a section of a map. Then all the sections are combined at the end to make the final map?! :mrgreen:

That sounds neat right?!?! (My last idea was run over..... )
"Woah what?! I wish I was recording that...."
nogardilaref
Masterful

Post by nogardilaref »

SilverSound wrote:What about all the contestants make a section of a map. Then all the sections are combined at the end to make the final map?! :mrgreen:

That was already suggested by Terraniux, but like editor Dave and I mentioned above, that was already tried in the past and ended up taking 2 years to finish.
editor Dave
Inhuman

Post by editor Dave »

SilverSound wrote:What about all the contestants make a section of a map. Then all the sections are combined at the end to make the final map?! :mrgreen:

Unfortunately, if you search for the map, the keywords are "too common" to actually find it :mrgreen: But this is the release thread of the project I was talking about; it has also a list of all the relevant milestones in the development: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=3964
It was totally fun building this collaboratively and seeing it proliferate into something almost uncontrollable. Only the finishing touches dragged the release because I insisted that somebody else than me would do it because of lack of experience and the original community thought. I probably should've done it from the get-go it was considered. Well, you learn from mistakes!
nogardilaref wrote:
This is even better, it leaves more freedom. And when papercoffe indeed already has something like this in store, this might work out.

However, I don't want to get too deep in this discussion. Even though I am interested in the development of this mapping contest, I rather spend my time finishing my own SP thing which has already been too damn long in the working.. :lol:
Last edited by editor Dave on Sat Aug 05, 2017 11:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

That's a no go for me, in such a case I will not participate. Reason ? Sure...
Some people doing maps are making a chaos at setting up brushes because they do not care what they do - LOG SPEAKS LOUDER but they are deaf, result will be a garbled thing and I'm not gonna participate at doing a mess like that. And yes, I know what I'm talking about. To not forget that Bot Pathing combined in a dumb geometry result in garbage, What were you saying ? Bot can see through semi-solids ? I wouldn't count on that unless geometry sucks...
UnrealGGecko
Godlike
Personal rank: GEx the Gecko

Post by UnrealGGecko »

sektor2111 wrote:That's a no go for me, in such a case I will not participate. Reason ? Sure...
Some people doing maps are making a chaos at setting up brushes because they do not care what they do - LOG SPEAKS LOUDER but they are deaf, result will be a garbled thing and I'm not gonna participate at doing a mess like that. And yes, I know what I'm talking about. To not forget that Bot Pathing combined in a dumb geometry result in garbage, What were you saying ? Bot can see through semi-solids ? I wouldn't count on that unless geometry sucks...
I imagine in the end, the last person would combine all the sections by fixing up any and all problems that each section has (BSP bug etc.), adding an extra room/corridor of his own to make the trensicion from section to section more smooth, connect them with botpaths and other minor adjustments. Yeah the guy that has to do this might get the biggest job here, eh Dave? :loool:

Look at the "UED game of telephone" on UnrealSP. I think that thing is still running if anyone wants to join in. :tu:
editor Dave
Inhuman

Post by editor Dave »

UnrealGGecko wrote: I imagine in the end, the last person would combine all the sections by fixing up any and all problems that each section has (BSP bug etc.), adding an extra room/corridor of his own to make the trensicion from section to section more smooth, connect them with botpaths and other minor adjustments. Yeah the guy that has to do this might get the biggest job here, eh Dave? :loool:
And here I feel guilty for not fixing the log errors that are mentioned in the release thread. :oops:
UnrealGGecko wrote: Look at the "UED game of telephone" on UnrealSP. I think that thing is still running if anyone wants to join in. :tu:
Unfortunately, it depends on the project runner who did some major changes to the existing map, but still hasn't released that version in order for others to expand upon it...
Tyr
Skilled

Post by Tyr »

I'm in for a new contest. MH mode sounds interesting. Sadly i don't have experience for it. Also i like the idea of urban styled maps.
Released:
papercoffee
Godlike
Personal rank: coffee addicted !!!

Post by papercoffee »

I'm also inexperienced in MH mapping. This is a book of seven seals to me. :omfg:
But I wouldn't go for a single theme or game type or else Dr.Flay pops up and demand a Chaos-UT theme again :mrgreen:
I love to create experimental DM maps or CTF things.