I'm working on a layout for a forest map, I may need advice

Tutorials and discussions about Mapping - Introduce your own ones!
Red_Fist
Godlike

Re: I'm working on a layout for a forest map, I may need adv

Post by Red_Fist »

I only ever use OpenGL, 1280 by 1024 res, Facing wall 952.3 fps
from corners with left edge at screen edge, 115.5, 107.2
From the top corner looking down, closest to trees ,corner, looking at top edge of trees so all the tress are in the screen, about 90. 95

Staring at the trees up close seems about 117 or 135 100 , .it didn't seem to go slow or fast really, just stayed the same the lowest was 90 looking straight down from top farthest away. (need new thread for this stuff)

Need a bigger map and taller for better test
Binary Space Partitioning
nogardilaref
Masterful
Personal rank: ⚋⚊⚌☰⚞⌖⚟☰⚌⚊⚋

Post by nogardilaref »

Yes, the map I added was just to have a small tiny taste of how it performs in your systems.

Today during the morning, I have checked the OpenGL source code, and the bottleneck seems to stem simply from what it seems that the renderer draws one triangle at a time in the case of meshes, which probably means an entire roundtrip from CPU to GPU in the PCI bus, per poly.

But the code itself is not very complicated. It has some hacks here and there, and macro conditions for Rune in particular, so I wonder if it would be possible to modify it so that all the gouraud calls there simply accumulate all the polys into an array, and then at some point in the renderer they just get all drawn at once with a single call, either through what it is already using (glDrawArray) or through VBOs or the like. I might actually end up doing some experiments there soon, with no guarantees of it even working though, or even making a difference.

Having that said, if I get to have enough time today, I will do a better benchmark map which everyone can just load up and let it do its thing, so we can get a good idea what the average case is.
OjitroC
Godlike

Post by OjitroC »

nogardilaref wrote:Having that said, if I get to have enough time today, I will do a better benchmark map which everyone can just load up and let it do its thing, so we can get a good idea what the average case is.
Wouldn't it be of more use to the OP, and more directy related to the central topic of this thread, if you were to do your tests using the partial map the OP has posted?
nogardilaref
Masterful

Post by nogardilaref »

OjitroC wrote:
nogardilaref wrote:Having that said, if I get to have enough time today, I will do a better benchmark map which everyone can just load up and let it do its thing, so we can get a good idea what the average case is.
Wouldn't it be of more use to the OP, and more directy related to the central topic of this thread, if you were to do your tests using the partial map the OP has posted?
It certainly would, but I didn't find any post of his with that (I scrolled through the pages, and didn't see anything...). Could you point me the exact post he did so? :)

That gives me another idea however, perhaps useful to everyone and not just him, which is to perhaps build something which could benchmark this sort of thing in any map.
OjitroC
Godlike

Post by OjitroC »

EvilGrins
Godlike
Personal rank: God of Fudge

Post by EvilGrins »

NaliRabits, place them everywhere.

They're completely harmless and fun to shoot at when you're bored; which is handy for any large map.
http://unreal-games.livejournal.com/
medor wrote:Replace Skaarj with EvilGrins :mrgreen:
Smilies · viewtopic.php?f=8&t=13758
OjitroC
Godlike

Post by OjitroC »

Good point - animals and birds, like the ones in Animal_PACK1, add some interest and 'realism' to forest/wood/countryside maps and aren't really used enough in my view.
nogardilaref
Masterful

Post by nogardilaref »

^ Seconded.
This and also ambient sounds in the right places, changes the atmosphere completely for the better.
Skerion
Average

Post by Skerion »

Wow, I gotta say I wasn't expecting this many replies while I was gone. Nice to see a discussion on this sort of thing.

Anyways, I went ahead and experimented some more with the trees in Blender.

The trees themselves are going to be nonsolid, but I plan on putting an invisible collision brush over it. There's a bit more geometry with the walls so they're not as flat as they were before. They're also probably better from a gameplay standpoint since the underside of the leaves is opaque, meaning that the player isn't going to able see someone else through the tree trucks. If he could, that can be problematic since the trees are supposed to act as boundaries. The downside to this technique is that the top of the trees is pretty flat, but it's probably not that much of a big deal since you're probably not going to able to see above the trees very often, and they shouldn't really be the focus anyway.

I also tried applying this new lathe shape to the inner edges of the forest, but since there's a lot more polys with their own transparent textures, I would imagine that this would take some kind of toll on the performance of whatever map it's being used on, especially for users with lower-end computers. I'd imagine that there'd also be a higher chance of this model getting messed up when being converted into a brush.