How to: MyLevel textures in 1 min.

Tutorials and discussions about Mapping - Introduce your own ones!
Terraniux
Masterful
Personal rank: Banished member

How to: MyLevel textures in 1 min.

Post by Terraniux »

If this topic already exist, notify me .

If not: How to my level in 1 min

4Jfs5hPPKPw

NOTE : custom textures are 512x512 so i check the mipmaps, you have lower uncheck that option.
Last edited by Terraniux on Sat Aug 26, 2017 1:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
This member can only post when permitted.
Barbie
Godlike

Re: How to: MyLevel in 1 min

Post by Barbie »

Terraniux wrote:NOTE : custom textures are 512x512 so i check the mipmaps, you have lower uncheck that option.
I have understood mipmaps in another way: if there is a chance that a texture can be viewed from close as well as from far distance, there should exist Mimaps to reduce stress on the GPU or CPU.
An exception for example is the screenshot - that one cannot be viewed from far or from close distance.
"Multiple exclamation marks," he went on, shaking his head, "are a sure sign of a diseased mind." --Terry Pratchett
JackGriffin
Godlike
Personal rank: -Retired-

Post by JackGriffin »

Never uncheck mipmaps unless you specifically know why you are doing it and it is for a very particular reason. As far as texture import is concerned you always do mips. It's better to not need them than to crash your client who just wants to play your map.
So long, and thanks for all the fish
Chamberly
Godlike
Personal rank: Dame. Vandora

Post by Chamberly »

I thought the video would contain other things to MyLevel other than just the texture...

I'd put down MyLevel textures in 1 mins to avoid confusion. :mrgreen:
Image Edit: Why does my sig not work anymore?
nogardilaref
Masterful
Personal rank: ⚋⚊⚌☰⚞⌖⚟☰⚌⚊⚋

Post by nogardilaref »

Texture for BSP: mipmaps should always be on.
Texture for screenshot(s) (you're not limited to one per map): mipmaps should always be off.
Texture for mesh: mipmaps should always be off, unless they're over 256x256, at which case most renderers will just crash (not all of them though).
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

Chamberly wrote:I thought the video would contain other things to MyLevel other than just the texture...
That's a different story but still simple as a pie. You can directly edit/create stuff or just importing a small U file VIA "obj load" directive in console. Else - the trivia - by simply doing NOTHING - read well - you can open a map with stuff in MyLevel based on your interest, then open your map - actors are there ready to use with no compilation required - this "doing nothing" method will help at MH mapping which will not allow compiling anything if it's used in devs default MH package (borked on purpose to not allow compiling stuff). I have such template Levels which I can use in other cases with no compilation required and just transporting actors automatically. By example I got some decoration using (obj load...) but I don't need everything, using only one object from there. From now on having this Level I can use that decoration in others without future directives by just switching maps in Editor.
Terraniux
Masterful
Personal rank: Banished member

Post by Terraniux »

I edited the title, now called how to import textures. I forgot to mention that.
This member can only post when permitted.
JackGriffin
Godlike
Personal rank: -Retired-

Post by JackGriffin »

nogardilaref wrote: Texture for mesh: mipmaps should always be off, unless they're over 256x256, at which case most renderers will just crash (not all of them though).
If it is ok with you I'm going to start a new thread to reply to this. I don't want to spin this one of in another direction.
So long, and thanks for all the fish
Higor
Godlike

Re: How to: MyLevel textures in 1 min.

Post by Higor »

Downloading... 24567kb.
Don't like map, vote another.

Downloading... 16702kb.
Let's try another...

Downloading... 53570kb (go to any BT server lulz)
Oh ffs, at least the redirect works on THIS server.

Red_Fist
Godlike

Re: How to: MyLevel textures in 1 min.

Post by Red_Fist »

I never use the groups, I always make it blank.
Binary Space Partitioning