ChaosUT Mapping Contest (CMC) '17

Tutorials and discussions about Mapping - Introduce your own ones!
papercoffee
Godlike
Personal rank: coffee addicted !!!

Re: ChaosUT Mapping Contest (CMC) '17

Post by papercoffee »

Warp-zones are a really tricky stuff. Look at my Insane Tower map ...the UEd Goblin don't like it when you try to make huge warp-zones and turning them horizontal makes him frown at you.
I did build the path in UEd2.0 but I optimized it in UEd2.1 ...how did you set up the warp-zone marker? Are both destination/start and start/destination connected?
SilverSound
Adept
Personal rank: Curious

Post by SilverSound »

I had some problems with Warp-zones. But they were not pathing issues. I resolved them with some BSP fixes. Mostly the orientation of the textures.

Not sure how the Goblin hates it....You can never understand the goblin. :x :omfg:
"Woah what?! I wish I was recording that...."
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

Speaking about translocation issue that's bad mapper logic - as usual. Such a map might go ugly bugged due to engine's properties in not rendering everything which is not in a player zone. Else bot translocates to a destination and usually direction of translocator is pointing to location of destination point. As long as we have a warpzone in a different spot I won't be surprised to see bot throwing translocator on a wall and not through the warp, because Bot cannot see what human can see... So what was that hard to figure here - dumb imagination based on presumptions in how A.I. do works ? This is just guessing not mapping. Translocation destination should be in the Warpzone starter not destination, but due to engine's "Touching" features things can go messy. It is required some testing, if things are turning in a bad direction then problem will be solved VIA MyLevel - yeah, a solution not for a common cube-drawer - but by doing real mapping.
ExpEM
Adept

Post by ExpEM »

...how did you set up the warp-zone marker? Are both destination/start and start/destination connected?
Set up the markers the usual way with auto-gen on pathing rebuild, checked settings more times than I care to remember.
I had some problems with Warp-zones. But they were not pathing issues. I resolved them with some BSP fixes. Mostly the orientation of the textures.
WarpZones depend on the orientation of the Portal sheet, wron orientation and it gets borked or HOMd.
Speaking about translocation issue that's bad mapper logic - as usual. Such a map might go ugly bugged due to engine's properties in not rendering everything which is not in a player zone. Else bot translocates to a destination and usually direction of translocator is pointing to location of destination point. As long as we have a warpzone in a different spot I won't be surprised to see bot throwing translocator on a wall and not through the warp, because Bot cannot see what human can see... So what was that hard to figure here - dumb imagination based on presumptions in how A.I. do works ? This is just guessing not mapping. Translocation destination should be in the Warpzone starter not destination, but due to engine's "Touching" features things can go messy. It is required some testing, if things are turning in a bad direction then problem will be solved VIA MyLevel - yeah, a solution not for a common cube-drawer - but by doing real mapping.
I was working on hacking something similar to swJumpPads (aka based on teleporters) to hack bots into faking it. Was too buggy and I don't have the time to work on it. A better way todo it in my mind would be in a custom bot class (like those used for JailBreak) but again that's too much effort for the time frame. I also tried abit of hackery with custom xloc paths but that was doomed from the start (mostly due to "Touching" as you say). I'm not unfamiliar with coding custom navigation points (My 3072 map uses afew I think).

Edit:
*Nor custom AI for that matter.
Signature goes here.
XaNKoNII
Skilled
Personal rank: Phenix

Post by XaNKoNII »

Just tossing some eye candy here :lol2:

Had some problems wich took some time i was going to use on this, but worse case cenario on the 12th of October i post a Beta for download.
It would really help if someone tested it out and pointed some flaws so i could do some last minute changes before giving the final entry :highfive:
ExpEM
Adept

Post by ExpEM »

Just tossing some eye candy here :lol2:
Looking good!

I've been up for 2.5 hours, onto coffee number 4... Level still only 80% done...
Signature goes here.
nogardilaref
Masterful
Personal rank: ⚋⚊⚌☰⚞⌖⚟☰⚌⚊⚋

Post by nogardilaref »

Looking very nice. :mrgreen:
ExpEM wrote: I've been up for 2.5 hours, onto coffee number 4... Level still only 80% done...
I am at 90%, but instead of coffee (I don't drink it), for any hope left to actually be able to finish it on time, I have thoroughly optimized my free time to build it, by planning it through in my head in the dead hours (transportation and the like), and then just do it almost without thinking things further once I get to the editor (although I still inevitably do times to times), and not really doing anything else during this week that I would normally do in my free time.
I also tried to sleep a bit less, but that quickly took a toll on me, so that's a no-go for me, my brain simply stops working well, aching even at times if I do that if I push it enough. :lol2:

I still have a list of around 20 things to do there, but judging by my own productivity this way for the past 2 days by doing things this way, I might actually have a chance to finish my map on time. :mrgreen:

Btw, on the deadline, to be sure: we can deliver the map until 23:59 (or 11:59PM) UTC, on Friday, correct?
makemeunreal
Masterful

Post by makemeunreal »

Isn't today(11st) the deadline?
nogardilaref
Masterful

Post by nogardilaref »

No.
UnrealGGecko wrote: Contest time

From September 1st to October 13th (UTC-0 time). :twisted:
GenMoKai
Godlike
Personal rank: Mapper

Post by GenMoKai »

Can't make it over here :( to much stuff at work
EAT THOSE FRIGGIN BANANAS !!!!!
1000 MPH Studios MAY NOT play any ut99.org community mappack 2 map without George W. Bush explicit permission
papercoffee
Godlike
Personal rank: coffee addicted !!!

Post by papercoffee »

GenMoKai wrote:Can't make it over here :( to much stuff at work
Awwww... poop. :(
nogardilaref
Masterful

Post by nogardilaref »

And... I talked too early (as usual).
Today something bad happened in RL which ended up stealing most of the time that I had to do this, and will steal a bit more tomorrow.
Nothing really messed up, but it reduced the chances of me making it in time to nearly zero, unless I had just one extra day to do it, or unless I manage to figure something out.

Therefore, for the time being do not expect a map from me, at least in time.
I will probably only be able to release it on Saturday at most, unless I am somehow able to finish all the BSP today in just a few hours to return to my original planning for this week, and I do not intend to release a half-assed map just to make it in time.
memsys
Adept
Personal rank: Silicon Lifeform

Post by memsys »

I may not make the deadline either.
My map is mostly done BSP wise but I still have to do all the texturing, lighting, trim, effects, paths, pickups and testing.

*ENGAGE CRUNCH MODE!*
XaNKoNII
Skilled
Personal rank: Phenix

Post by XaNKoNII »

Here it is :sleep:

My baby, ready to be tested! :help:

The screenshot is not working at the moment (will be fixed in the final file)
I really need help because i think i noticed that the light acts very very diferent depending on the 3D driver used, I use Dx9 and it looks exactly like the Editor´s softwear rendering. But when i was testing for files needed on a Vanila UT I have instaled, it looked like the color and the brightness was all gone, Will this happen to everyone else? :noidea
Attachments
DM-CMC-Lords_of_the_Void.rar
Beta version of the map
(2.22 MiB) Downloaded 67 times
EvilGrins
Godlike
Personal rank: God of Fudge

Post by EvilGrins »

Waitasec... Friday the 13th is the deadline?!?
nogardilaref wrote:No.
UnrealGGecko wrote: Contest time
From September 1st to October 13th (UTC-0 time). :twisted:
kill... kill... kill... die... die... die...
XaNKoNII wrote:My baby, ready to be tested!
Posted a review to your map's thread.
http://unreal-games.livejournal.com/
medor wrote:Replace Skaarj with EvilGrins :mrgreen:
Smilies · viewtopic.php?f=8&t=13758