ChaosUT Mapping Contest (CMC) '17

Tutorials and discussions about Mapping - Introduce your own ones!
Terraniux
Masterful
Personal rank: Banished member

Re: ChaosUT Mapping Contest (CMC) '17

Post by Terraniux »

JackGriffin wrote:No one's personal opinions belong in a map pack, no matter how good/thorough/concise. That's why we have discussion threads and forums.
True, but it wouldn't hurt, would it? Same is for sketches, some screenshots and photographs. See it as ' bonus content' .
Since the mappack is going to be big, it never harms to have 1 extra folder with addtional stuff. Users can then check them if they like, delete it when they're not interested. What also comes to mind adding this, is it leaving a nice touch all users here saying ' regards from UT99.org" :thuup: . Outsiders will definitely appreciate some extra stuff, I learned that over the past 20+ years.
This member can only post when permitted.
UnrealGGecko
Godlike
Personal rank: GEx the Gecko

Post by UnrealGGecko »

nogardilaref wrote:From what I understand, you mean that all the screenshots would fully fill this 4:3 area, right?

The consequence of this is that there will be one or more screenshots of them affected by text overlay or the logo, becoming a bit obscured, so I was thinking in having the 3x3 screenshots all the same, but in such a way that there would be a reserved area below, with a very short height, very slim, but occupying the full width of the image, with perhaps a black background with white letters, with a nice font as you said. A bit like you see sometimes in slides in homepages and the like, to separate the "content" from the "title".

Do you agree with this approach?
Good point, fully agree with this then :agree1:
Terraniux wrote: Also please include my detailed review .pdf in the mappack.
Was thinking about it, to be fair.
nogardilaref
Masterful
Personal rank: ⚋⚊⚌☰⚞⌖⚟☰⚌⚊⚋

Post by nogardilaref »

Well then:
@participants: if you wish to post here the screenshot you would prefer to be part of this banner, please do so until next Saturday morning.
Otherwise I will choose what I personally deem the best one out of the ones you posted for each one of your maps. :)
Carbon
Inhuman
Personal rank: Hoarder.

Post by Carbon »

JackGriffin wrote:No one's personal opinions belong in a map pack, no matter how good/thorough/concise. That's why we have discussion threads and forums.
Yes, I have to bump this up. It's got nothing to do with said views being valid, biased or otherwise, but things like this are more suited to the forums, not really inside a map pack.

Sketches, screenshots, any preliminary work on the maps (or even mapper commentaries on the development of their work) would be cool, but yeah, no subjective 'opinion' stuff, IMHO.
nogardilaref
Masterful

Post by nogardilaref »

I ended up doing a 1920x1080 version instead, as 1920 is divisible by 3, and I thought it was a better more standard resolution these days.
So here's my first attempt: Banner (1920x1080) (let me know if you want to change anything at all)

I also sorted the screenshots by the voting results, so first is the winning map, while the last is the one which was withdrawn.

And also the 800px wide you requested (although now it is 800x450 rather than 800x640, but if you really need a 800x640 version, it may be arranged):
UnrealGGecko
Godlike
Personal rank: GEx the Gecko

Post by UnrealGGecko »

:gj: Looks very good, thank you so much!

Only tiny thing I might do with this is to replace the HellScape pic, as that map got a lighting tweak, me and Le Impact Frag worked on it for a while. Otherwise I'll keep it as is if I won't have time.
Terraniux
Masterful

Post by Terraniux »

That looks very sexy Nog!
XaNKoNII
Skilled
Personal rank: Phenix

Post by XaNKoNII »

nogardilaref wrote:I ended up doing a 1920x1080 version instead, as 1920 is divisible by 3, and I thought it was a better more standard resolution these days.
So here's my first attempt: Banner (1920x1080) (let me know if you want to change anything at all)

I also sorted the screenshots by the voting results, so first is the winning map, while the last is the one which was withdrawn.

And also the 800px wide you requested (although now it is 800x450 rather than 800x640, but if you really need a 800x640 version, it may be arranged):
Before anything else, sorry for not saying anything :oops:

That looks pretty dope ! :gj:
makemeunreal
Masterful

Post by makemeunreal »

It looks really sweet!
I'd like to have a bigger version tho. Would look nice when framed, hanging on my wall. :highfive: :highfive: :highfive:

:gj: :gj: :gj: :gj: :gj: :gj: :gj: :agree1: :agree1: :agree1: :agree1: :agree1: :agree1:
SilverSound
Adept
Personal rank: Curious

Post by SilverSound »

Nice! Can't wait for the next contest. I should get some base designs ready for use @_@.
"Woah what?! I wish I was recording that...."
Terraniux
Masterful

Post by Terraniux »

I was thinking not only make something in photoshop, but make a video as well.
If there are any objections, I gladly hear them. Going to record some clips from every map and make nice compilations like the other videos on my youtube channel.
Will be a fun thing to do this weekend / next week :D
Le Impact Frag
Average
Personal rank: Aftermatch janitor

Post by Le Impact Frag »

Nice work you've done there!

I LIKE IT!!!

EDIT:
UnrealGGecko wrote: Only tiny thing I might do with this is to replace the HellScape pic, as that map got a lighting tweak, me and Le Impact Frag worked on it for a while. Otherwise I'll keep it as is if I won't have time.
Oh, yeah, kinda forgot about that. Will post the final version of hellscape shortly. :mrgreen:
Last edited by Le Impact Frag on Sat Nov 25, 2017 8:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything it's too late to stop reading it.
XaNKoNII
Skilled
Personal rank: Phenix

Post by XaNKoNII »

Terraniux wrote:I was thinking not only make something in photoshop, but make a video as well.
If there are any objections, I gladly hear them. Going to record some clips from every map and make nice compilations like the other videos on my youtube channel.
Will be a fun thing to do this weekend / next week :D
Only objection I have is wait for v2.0 LOTV
nogardilaref
Masterful

Post by nogardilaref »

Thanks. :)
I can update the banner to have a screenshot of the newer version of Hellscape later on, no problem. :)

The same goes for the other maps. If you wish me to update to a newer version, or if you simply prefer a different angle that you feel represents your map better, let me know.
makemeunreal wrote: I'd like to have a bigger version tho. Would look nice when framed, hanging on my wall.
I linked a high resolution version though: here .
Or do you mean that you wanted an even higher resolution? I guess I can make a bigger one, but the top resolution I can make is 5760x3240.
Ozma777
Average

Post by Ozma777 »

Also missed this one too
:(