ChaosUT Mapping Contest (CMC) '17

Tutorials and discussions about Mapping - Introduce your own ones!
papercoffee
Godlike
Personal rank: coffee addicted !!!

Re: ChaosUT Mapping Contest (CMC) '17

Post by papercoffee »

Terraniux wrote:
papercoffee wrote:
Terraniux wrote: Btw, Paper did you mail everyone an ftp account ( that pm of me)? So they can use it to these things..... post pictures :D
No, I didn't because I don't know who is all participating. People should contact you instead.
Ok, I will pm every participant then. I thought you as staff had these tools to massmail everyone at the same time. Or were you staff? . Anyway I will take of it. :thuup:
Staff people have orange nicknames. ;)
nogardilaref
Masterful
Personal rank: ⚋⚊⚌☰⚞⌖⚟☰⚌⚊⚋

Post by nogardilaref »

For those who still think they're not skilled enough to enter the contest, this is still where I am at: :lol2:

the arena:

where the flag will be:

Having that said however, this is very on the early stages, at the end it's not going to look like anything like this (even the lighting is just to lit up the map while I figure stuff out).
I started to focus first on the base architecture and gameplay itself, as well as some visual effects I have been experimenting with, to check how it would play out, and after that is when I am going to do more serious work in pimping up the map itself with all sorts of architecture and effects and stuff.

But it's still going to be a fairly basic and straightforward map.
Terraniux
Masterful
Personal rank: Banished member

Post by Terraniux »

nogardilaref wrote:For those who still think they're not skilled enough to enter the contest, this is still where I am at: :lol2:

the arena:

where the flag will be:

Having that said however, this is very on the early stages, at the end it's not going to look like anything like this (even the lighting is just to lit up the map while I figure stuff out).
I started to focus first on the base architecture and gameplay itself, as well as some visual effects I have been experimenting with, to check how it would play out, and after that is when I am going to do more serious work in pimping up the map itself with all sorts of architecture and effects and stuff.

But it's still going to be a fairly basic and straightforward map.

That arena looks pretty sweet ,

This is cat: I iz liking thaz, mapz,....... me iz extentens mez clawz ..... now youz iz giving mez catfoodz humanz.
Thatz arena i can crawlzzz in......

I lived a life all with dogs, for now I have a cat in house, it speaks to me, it is taking over my brains... :loool:

Human.... you iz talking too loudz. where iz my milk....?
This member can only post when permitted.
nogardilaref
Masterful

Post by nogardilaref »

You're a strange dude. :lol2: (and I don't mean it in a bad way)

Either way, this map is taking me a while to just get down the basic foundations right (gameplay, sizes, flow, etc). I wasn't even going to post screenshots this early, since as shown here I didn't really work much on the architecture itself, but they should at least motivate a few more mappers to join the fray by seeing that my own map doesn't look like anything special thus far, and it isn't really going to be anything revolutionary.
But I am having lots of fun building it though, it's been a long while since I last worked on a map of my own.
EvilGrins
Godlike
Personal rank: God of Fudge

Post by EvilGrins »

Terraniux wrote:Yes, I'm going hardcore on this thing, all brakes are loose
I see elements of one of your MH maps there.
http://unreal-games.livejournal.com/
medor wrote:Replace Skaarj with EvilGrins :mrgreen:
Smilies · viewtopic.php?f=8&t=13758
Dr.Flay
Godlike
Personal rank: Chaos Evangelist

Post by Dr.Flay »

I just added another prize :tu:
Terraniux
Masterful
Personal rank: Banished member

Post by Terraniux »

EvilGrins wrote:
Terraniux wrote:Yes, I'm going hardcore on this thing, all brakes are loose
I see elements of one of your MH maps there.
Yes, I thought it would go perfect with the theme. Why re-invent the wheel when you're have something rolling :mrgreen:
And it's easy mapping as well.

I will make an official topic on my map later. I'm curious about the others too.
This member can only post when permitted.
papercoffee
Godlike

Post by papercoffee »

Here a WIP-shot of my map.
I'll open later a official thread with more screenshots.
nogardilaref
Masterful

Post by nogardilaref »

Just a quick note: I often see folks posting screenshots directly from the editor, and the vast majority seem to be using the Software renderer.
I found out that the 3D view works best with the D3D9 renderer (at least for me), while OpenGL generates some texture artifacts when some BSP surfaces are selected.

It's faster, and there are no Z-buffering problems with the meshes, so you can see all of them rendered correctly.
So my question is: is this already public knowledge and is there already a topic about this, or should I post or create a specific topic on how to change it?
papercoffee
Godlike

Post by papercoffee »

nogardilaref wrote: So my question is: is this already public knowledge
Not for me... I use software renderer mainly because my machine runs hot otherwise. And UEd crashes more often.
Hellkeeper
Inhuman
Personal rank: Soulless Automaton

Post by Hellkeeper »

nogardilaref wrote:Just a quick note: I often see folks posting screenshots directly from the editor, and the vast majority seem to be using the Software renderer.
I found out that the 3D view works best with the D3D9 renderer (at least for me), while OpenGL generates some texture artifacts when some BSP surfaces are selected.

It's faster, and there are no Z-buffering problems with the meshes, so you can see all of them rendered correctly.
So my question is: is this already public knowledge and is there already a topic about this, or should I post or create a specific topic on how to change it?
Normal UT only has an old D3d and software rendering. If you have more, I guess you're using Unreal 227 or the new UT SDK? If so, people using them are probably savy enough to know about this?
You must construct additional pylons.
nogardilaref
Masterful

Post by nogardilaref »

papercoffee wrote:
Not for me... I use software renderer mainly because my machine runs hot otherwise. And UEd crashes more often.
Do you mean you also use software renderer for normal gameplay too? :sad2: (I already had to use it too in the past, for similar reasons)
But in the case of the editor it shouldn't cause issues: it's rendered at a lower resolution (unless you go full screen sometimes) and, unless the preview is enabled, the viewport should only update whenever you move I think.
Hellkeeper wrote: Normal UT only has an old D3d and software rendering. If you have more, I guess you're using Unreal 227 or the new UT SDK? If so, people using them are probably savy enough to know about this?
In my case, given that my only options were those 2 (old D3D and software), I simply went to the .ini itself and set the Device for the 3D viewport myself.
First I tried OpenGL (not the one from Smirftsch), it worked but sometimes perpendicular surfaces to the ones I selected would get all borked, so I tried D3D9 instead, no issues whatsoever thus far, renders everything perfectly.
papercoffee
Godlike

Post by papercoffee »

nogardilaref wrote:
papercoffee wrote:
Do you mean you also use software renderer for normal gameplay too? :sad2: (I already had to use it too in the past, for similar reasons)
If I want to play in 1024x768 yes ...but right now I play in 800x600 and can use OpenGL for a much longer time.
I had no place around here where I could buy cheap used-but-better refurbished stuff.
The on-board graphic card is maybe better (more stable) but it doesn't have DVI connection. And I need my full colours. :ironic:

I'll make screenshots out of the game the next time :mrgreen:
nogardilaref
Masterful

Post by nogardilaref »

It's not about the screenshots I am worried about, it's the mapper having to take the more painful way to do the same things, which may impair creativity in the progress when it becomes more like a chore trying to figure out the depth of meshes and how it will actually render in-game.
UnrealGGecko
Godlike
Personal rank: GEx the Gecko

Post by UnrealGGecko »

Dr.Flay wrote:I just added another prize :tu:
Heck yeah! Spooky noises for the spooky holiday, nice one Doc! :rock: