ChaosUT Mapping Contest (CMC) '17

Tutorials and discussions about Mapping - Introduce your own ones!
nogardilaref
Masterful
Personal rank: ⚋⚊⚌☰⚞⌖⚟☰⚌⚊⚋

Re: ChaosUT Mapping Contest (CMC) '17

Post by nogardilaref »

Well, regardless of whom make it in time or not, and perhaps to focus the efforts where they are really needed, I have one suggestion:
the map released for the contest, for evaluation purposes within the deadline, shouldn't be the final version of the map.

As noticed in other releases, maps will probably have problems to fix, and we shouldn't let a "contest" to dictate a final map pack with broken maps which could have been fixed, or mostly fixed.
Since in the end the maps will be released as a mappack, resulting from the contest, I think the release to submit to the contest itself should be labeled as such with some kind of prefix.
I don't know what that prefix would be, but maybe something like "-ENTRY".

Then, after the deadline, upon feedback and even what you already know might be broken, you could simply fix it up so then UnrealGecko could assemble the final pack with map versions which should actually work well, and these are the ones which should have the final map name as intended.
ExpEM
Adept

Post by ExpEM »

Well, I think I'm done. I'm going to sleep on it to see if I want to make any last minute changes.
Signature goes here.
Hellkeeper
Inhuman
Personal rank: Soulless Automaton

Post by Hellkeeper »

nogardilaref wrote:Well, regardless of whom make it in time or not, and perhaps to focus the efforts where they are really needed, I have one suggestion:
the map released for the contest, for evaluation purposes within the deadline, shouldn't be the final version of the map.

As noticed in other releases, maps will probably have problems to fix, and we shouldn't let a "contest" to dictate a final map pack with broken maps which could have been fixed, or mostly fixed.
Since in the end the maps will be released as a mappack, resulting from the contest, I think the release to submit to the contest itself should be labeled as such with some kind of prefix.
I don't know what that prefix would be, but maybe something like "-ENTRY".

Then, after the deadline, upon feedback and even what you already know might be broken, you could simply fix it up so then UnrealGecko could assemble the final pack with map versions which should actually work well, and these are the ones which should have the final map name as intended.
The maps better be in fully playable state when the deadline hits. Fixing a few bugs is obviously something to be tolerated, but a submission has to be a complete map with full visuals, gameplay and pathing elements.
You must construct additional pylons.
nogardilaref
Masterful

Post by nogardilaref »

Certainly.
Maps should be as close as possible to their final state, then only fixes would be permitted. I am just worried that we'll going to see a few pathing problems here and there, as well as the usual BSP errors and lighting bugs caused by the editor itself.
papercoffee
Godlike
Personal rank: coffee addicted !!!

Post by papercoffee »

Here is the Entry of The Mansion of Chaos.
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=12402

Description is in the thread. Have fun pals!!
SilverSound
Adept
Personal rank: Curious

Post by SilverSound »

I might release variants on my map. Like some rooms I had planned and some fixed details I couldn't finish due to time and space.
"Woah what?! I wish I was recording that...."
ExpEM
Adept

Post by ExpEM »

Here we go! DOM-CMC-NaliPsyence. This is my first DOM level in around eight years, hope you like it!

Known Bugs: Some minor pathing issues with Bots looping. Damn you Bots damn you.
Known Features: With higher player counts players maybe frequently telefraged (adds to the chaos).
Attachments
DOM-CMC-NaliPsyence.zip
(2.57 MiB) Downloaded 55 times
Signature goes here.
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

ExpEM wrote: Known Bugs: Some minor pathing issues with Bots looping. Damn you Bots damn you.
Known Features: With higher player counts players maybe frequently telefraged (adds to the chaos).
Those are Pathing issues NOT BOT issues. Default PathNode is mainly Skaarj stuff - fat ass pawns so to speak. For Bots you can do some tweaks and nothing is getting hurt.
No 2 - there are no major needs against telefraging, these are already done.
XaNKoNII
Skilled
Personal rank: Phenix

Post by XaNKoNII »

My oficcial entry to the contest :D
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=12417
OjitroC
Godlike

Post by OjitroC »

ExpEM wrote:Known Features: With higher player counts players maybe frequently telefraged (adds to the chaos).

Like sektor2111 says, not a problem if one uses his LessTele3 mutator as it adds additional player 'starts'.
ExpEM
Adept

Post by ExpEM »

I should have been more specific, the telefraging is caused by the teleporters not the playerstarts. I put the telefraging under feature rather than bug as in my mind it is a non- issue.

As for the bot looping, im aware that it's mostly caused by the path network. The level is only 95% done and I'm out of time to fix it (picking up my daughter again today, family is more important after all). I will endever to release a v1.1 when i have the time.
Signature goes here.
memsys
Adept
Personal rank: Silicon Lifeform

Post by memsys »

Done!

well, kinda.
The map is still SUPER rough. I did not even have the time to play test the map >_<

EDIT: I did not have the time to add bot support for the elevators (I used the auto generate paths... Yes, I was THAT tight on time :ironic:)
Pickups are more or less haphazardly tossed in, no music, no sounds... and 2 days of non-stop mapping to get it "done" .

Double edit:
Crap, I just saw that a map screenshot and music are required... I did not have time to add those. Will you guys still let me be part of the contest ? :ironic:

Tripple edit: Here is the latest version!
Attachments
DM-CMC-ChaosKeep-RC3.zip
(768.38 KiB) Downloaded 46 times
Last edited by memsys on Sat Oct 14, 2017 12:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
nogardilaref
Masterful

Post by nogardilaref »

Just a friendly reminder that you still have 23 hours and 17 minutes left as of the time of this post.
Spectra
Masterful
Personal rank: Nullified!

Post by Spectra »

I quit!

But if unrealgecko extends the deadline till next Friday or Wednesday, then I may be able to complete my map, otherwise it's a no go.
SilverSound
Adept
Personal rank: Curious

Post by SilverSound »

You heard the man! You can still fix your issues!!!
"Woah what?! I wish I was recording that...."