CTF-CMC-Kullrena (FINAL)

Tutorials and discussions about Mapping - Introduce your own ones!
nogardilaref
Masterful
Personal rank: ⚋⚊⚌☰⚞⌖⚟☰⚌⚊⚋

Re: CTF-CMC-Kullrena (WIP)

Post by nogardilaref »

At 98% BSP and lighting done (yeah, just a few things left), but for what it is worth, even if I don't manage to finish it in time:

Hellkeeper
Inhuman
Personal rank: Soulless Automaton

Post by Hellkeeper »

This screams Quake 3. I like it. :)
You must construct additional pylons.
EvilGrins
Godlike
Personal rank: God of Fudge

Post by EvilGrins »

Beautiful map, there's lava mists and it's so damned amazing. Practically thought I was playing ut2004 for a bit.

Small flaw, bots don't leave where they spawn in. Only fighting at all was in a space where they could see each other's spawnpoints.

Lovely map, though.
Attachments
Shot0011.png
http://unreal-games.livejournal.com/
medor wrote:Replace Skaarj with EvilGrins :mrgreen:
Smilies · viewtopic.php?f=8&t=13758
Aldebaran
Masterful

Post by Aldebaran »

I tried to play the map on a dedicated server but I got clientside this error message instead:

Can't find Palette in file 'Palette UTcrypt.Floor.Palette1'

and got disconnected then.
The server itself does not crash.
OjitroC
Godlike

Post by OjitroC »

I can't run the map either - get these lines in the log
Spoiler
Log: Failed import: Palette Palette UTcrypt.Floor.Palette1 (file ../Textures/UTcrypt.utx)
Warning: Failed to load 'DM-CMC-Kullrena-ALPHA': Can't find Palette in file 'Palette UTcrypt.Floor.Palette1'
Warning: Failed to load 'Texture DM-CMC-Kullrena-ALPHA.Screenshot': Can't find Palette in file 'Palette UTcrypt.Floor.Palette1'
Log: Failed to load 'LevelSummary DM-CMC-Kullrena-ALPHA.LevelSummary': Can't find Palette in file 'Palette UTcrypt.Floor.Palette1'
Log: Failed to load 'LevelSummary DM-CMC-Kullrena-ALPHA.LevelSummary': Can't find Palette in file 'Palette UTcrypt.Floor.Palette1'
Warning: Failed to load 'LevelSummary DM-CMC-Kullrena-ALPHA.LevelSummary': Can't find Palette in file 'Palette UTcrypt.Floor.Palette1'
Possibly because I am using the S3TC version of UTcrypt.utx? Haven't tried the map yet with the older version.
nogardilaref
Masterful

Post by nogardilaref »

I just tried in a separate clean install for these sort of things, and the map works.
Although, I didn't use S3TC, never used actually, but it should work the same provided that I used pretty much standard textures.

The only thing that comes to mind, is that this map has some dynamic textures in it, such as wet and ice textures for the rain effects on the floor, so that's the only thing that crosses my mind, but then that's a problem with S3TC itself or the engine.
Either way, I will try to sort this out in a 3rd install later on where I will install S3TC.

@EvilGrins: Yes, like I said in the post of the release, this is an "alpha" version (and perhaps calling it "alpha" is a bit of a stretch, it's more like "pre-alpha"), so bot pathing, pickups, weapons, none of those are there. Plus, it has a ton of BSP errors and lighting issues which I will need to fix as well, as well as performance issues in some parts (due to the high poly count).
No worries though, I plan to fix them all and release a proper working version, even if I have to use UEd2.1 in some way.
JackGriffin
Godlike
Personal rank: -Retired-

Post by JackGriffin »

Visually this map is stunning. I had to open it in ed to see how the rain-swept floors were done, they are incredible. If it weren't for the hud grins is right, you'd easily think this is 2K4.

I'm amazed you got this level of detail in this small of a space without it being laggy. This is really, really awesome.
So long, and thanks for all the fish
OjitroC
Godlike

Post by OjitroC »

nogardilaref wrote:I just tried in a separate clean install for these sort of things, and the map works.
Although, I didn't use S3TC, never used actually, but it should work the same provided that I used pretty much standard textures.

The only thing that comes to mind, is that this map has some dynamic textures in it, such as wet and ice textures for the rain effects on the floor, so that's the only thing that crosses my mind, but then that's a problem with S3TC itself or the engine.
I've swapped the S3TC version of UTcrypt.utx for the default, standard version and now got this
Spoiler
Log: Failed import: Palette Palette UTtech1.Pillar.Palette7 (file ../Textures/UTtech1.utx)
Warning: Failed to load 'DM-CMC-Kullrena-ALPHA': Can't find Palette in file 'Palette UTtech1.Pillar.Palette7'
Warning: Failed to load 'Texture DM-CMC-Kullrena-ALPHA.Screenshot': Can't find Palette in file 'Palette UTtech1.Pillar.Palette7'
Log: Failed import: Palette Palette UTtech1.Pillar.Palette7 (file ../Textures/UTtech1.utx)
Warning: Failed to load 'DM-CMC-Kullrena-ALPHA': Can't find Palette in file 'Palette UTtech1.Pillar.Palette7'
Warning: Failed to load 'LevelSummary DM-CMC-Kullrena-ALPHA.LevelSummary': Can't find Palette in file 'Palette UTtech1.Pillar.Palette7'
So it does look like it is something to do with the S3TC versions of textures.
Aldebaran
Masterful

Post by Aldebaran »

Now I played your map with a different ut installation (software rendering mode without the S3TC package) and yeah, it works! Great map and very good looking chaos theme!
nogardilaref
Masterful

Post by nogardilaref »

Thanks. :)

I am not very satisfied yet, given how broken it currently is. As for S3TC, I think I have a way to fix that: in MyLevel, I have dynamic textures referencing external textures, and the problem is likely that a low-res texture is trying to use a much higher-res external texture as its source at that point, therefore I will try to put those external textures in MyLevel, and use those as sources, as that should fix it and make you able to play the map with S3TC without problems.

Some textures will look a bit low-res though, but since they are wet and ice textures, and are distorted, it might just work out even visually.
EvilGrins
Godlike
Personal rank: God of Fudge

Post by EvilGrins »

Have all those who ran into errors only tried playing it online?

I had no such issues but I only played the map with bots.
http://unreal-games.livejournal.com/
medor wrote:Replace Skaarj with EvilGrins :mrgreen:
Smilies · viewtopic.php?f=8&t=13758
OjitroC
Godlike

Post by OjitroC »

EvilGrins wrote:Have all those who ran into errors only tried playing it online?
No, I was trying to run it off-line, with the high-res S3TC texture set that I use.
nogardilaref
Masterful

Re: CTF-CMC-Kullrena (PRE-ALPHA)

Post by nogardilaref »

I updated the first post with the release link, screenshot and other information, and is the exact same link as the one I posted in the contest thread and which UnrealGecko linked to as well, so it's not anything new.
Should have done it before, but I kinda forgot it.
nogardilaref
Masterful

Post by nogardilaref »

Quick question: for those who tried out the map, how bad was the performance in the underground area for you (the one with the lava)?

I am just asking this because for me it's quite terrible (down to around 20~30 fps max in some angles, due to the poly count and smoke effects), but quite a while ago I made a small benchmarking map and apparently those who tested it had no performance issues with it, while my machine was struggling badly.
So I would like to know the overall perception of the performance on this map to understand if it's more of my own problem or not.

(I am going to improve it either way, but I would like to know the overall impact)
JackGriffin
Godlike
Personal rank: -Retired-

Post by JackGriffin »

I noticed no impact, playthrough was smooth. My system is a low-to midrange setup with a dedicated video card. If you want I can test it on my laptop that is a normal budget deal with integrated graphics?
So long, and thanks for all the fish