DM-CMC-MansionOfChaos - Release

Tutorials and discussions about Mapping - Introduce your own ones!
JackGriffin
Godlike
Personal rank: -Retired-

Re: DM-CMC-MansionOfChaos (W.I.P)

Post by JackGriffin »

Well, we've worked our tail off but it looks like we are going to make the deadline. Map will be posted in a couple of days, or sooner if we get a couple of last-minute wrinkles ironed out. This project has been a blast but also very taxing on the both of us. We pushed what you would consider a "map" into some very new territory but I'm quite proud of the results.

The readme for our map is likely going to be pretty short but I'll amend it later after everyone has had a chance to look at it. There's going to be questions and I anticipate many of them but to answer ahead of time will ruin your enjoyment (trust me). This is a map for you to spend some time with, test and explore, pay attention to yourself if something doesn't seem right. It's secrets will open to you but it won't come in a 10 minute fastplay. There's a lot of "Ahhh, now I get it..."

Some things to remember: there are no warp zones and no trickery. No movers are used in the play area. Like any good magic it happens right in front of you and is best enjoyed when you don't keep trying to figure it out and give yourself over to the experience. I promise you, you ain't seen nothing like this.

Also this is very much a concept project. It's not going to work with much else so don't worry with reporting that this or that doesn't work in the map. I'd be surprised if anything did. No, this is something to inspire other, better developers to use some of the ideas to improve the UT map experience.

....What if that happened?
So long, and thanks for all the fish
Red_Fist
Godlike

Post by Red_Fist »

I think you should do the ,,,ReadMe. C'mon........................ :highfive:
Binary Space Partitioning
JackGriffin
Godlike

Post by JackGriffin »

I for sure will do a good documentation after people have had a chance to try the map.

There used to be a website called "HiddenMickeys" that showed pictures and everything for the behind-the-scenes stuff at Disneyworld. Seeing all that ruined the experience of the park because you knew the 'how' part ahead of time. Same thing applies with this map. It's best experienced without any real expectations because we tried very hard to make it a slow burn. At first you play and you are like "Well, OK. Nothing special at all." In fact you might play a bit before you finally go "Wait a minute..."

I will tell you that looking in editor will not help, there's nothing there. Nothing is hidden or deleted either (I don't do that). It's just not there. I will also release the source code with the extended readme if anyone is interested.

I'm very curious how this is going to be received by you guys. paper and I went pretty wild, I hope it's not too much.
papercoffee
Godlike
Personal rank: coffee addicted !!!

Re: DM-CMC-MansionOfChaos - Release

Post by papercoffee »

Release of the map. Updated the first post as well

The Chaos awaits you.

--------------------------------------------------------------
DESCRIPTION:
First, an aside: There will be a much more involved readme included with the source code.

Welcome to the Chaos Mansion. There's not much to say other than "go explore". Multiple secrets scattered about and you would do well to pay attention.

Map issues: Bots will not work in this map. They won't leave the area where they spawn (explanation in the source readme).

This map and experience are to be considered as a concept map and as such you are likely to find serious problems with running other mods with this map.

DOWNLOAD:
https://sta.sh/0brx3ftgn9e
http://www.mediafire.com/file/ig7bwuupt ... OfChaos.7z
JackGriffin
Godlike

Post by JackGriffin »

Hope you guys enjoy this. I'm working on the extended documentation as well as some posts concerning things I've found about the engine while working on this. Please do me a favor and if you offer feedback try to do it in a way that won't ruin it for people who haven't played the map and don't know what to expect. I'd really appreciate that, the whole magic of the map is that moment that you go "Hey, wait a second...."
OjitroC
Godlike

Post by OjitroC »

JackGriffin wrote:Hope you guys enjoy this.
Certainly do!! Awestruck - truly chaotic :tu:
makemeunreal
Masterful

Post by makemeunreal »

Interesting... :O :tu: :gj: :highfive: :noidea :noidea :noidea :noidea
XaNKoNII
Skilled
Personal rank: Phenix

Post by XaNKoNII »

Ok, where should i beggin... :gj:

I fucking loved it :rock: It reminds me of a game that I like Thief:The dark project especially the inverted room :o
The chaos vision you present has really the same vibes in that game (The pagan god of chaos passing as a regular human had a mansion) So this was a very nostalgic experience for me :mrgreen:
It is certainly a great concept you have here. It mind blowing the way the decorations reacted, my favorite were the statues :satan:

I believe i got what you guys did :D
Spoiler
I don´t think you used warpzones, there were changing backdrops. and my guess is that what you had was some coding to make the same room change all the decoration and lights or restore it after it was destoyed.Wich if it´s what you did is a very briliant and intersting concept :idea2: :idea:
All and all, i´m going to try everyone else´s maps as well but i think I know where my vote is going to :lol2:
papercoffee
Godlike

Post by papercoffee »

So, you liked the sky? :twisted:
It's a bummer that bots won't work well (or at all) in this map due to the concept.

But who knows, maybe some day someone creates a bot which doesn't need path nodes and has a more flexible desires-list which is not depending on the state of the pick ups but on the urge to win. But this would be spooky as hell.
EvilGrins
Godlike
Personal rank: God of Fudge

Post by EvilGrins »

papercoffee wrote:Bots will not work in this map. They won't leave the area where they spawn
Noticed that, though not altogether accurate. If they can see each other they'll chase each other down and fight.

I largely test maps with bots only while I spectator, which was trippy here. Something about the map is if you stay on a bot for more than a few seconds, it automatically switches you to view from the bot's 1st person perspective.

Even using the ChaosUT mutator, there are no Chaos-weapons I could find anywhere in there. Instead there appear to only be custom weapons and ammo, or maybe they only visually appear to be so. Will look into that when I do a run-through without bots.

Downstairs arcade was nice, but the things "hanging" on the wall weren't actually on the wall and none of the pillars are solid; you can run right through them.
Attachments
Shot0255.png
Shot0253.png
Shot0249.png
Shot0247.png
http://unreal-games.livejournal.com/
medor wrote:Replace Skaarj with EvilGrins :mrgreen:
Smilies · viewtopic.php?f=8&t=13758
papercoffee
Godlike

Post by papercoffee »

You as a player can run through those pillars? WTF?
OjitroC
Godlike

Post by OjitroC »

papercoffee wrote:You as a player can run through those pillars? WTF?
No, I don't think so - those are solid enough (unlike the fireplace). As a Spectator you can walk through those pillars but not as a Player.
EvilGrins wrote:Will look into that when I do a run-through without bots.
You need to spend quite a bit of time doing that to fully appreciate this map and 'explore' the ReactiveDecos.
papercoffee
Godlike

Post by papercoffee »

EvilGrins wrote: I largely test maps with bots only while I spectator, which was trippy here. Something about the map is if you stay on a bot for more than a few seconds, it automatically switches you to view from the bot's 1st person perspective.
To ghost and spectate is prohibited. Go play the map.
EvilGrins wrote:Even using the ChaosUT mutator, there are no Chaos-weapons I could find anywhere in there. Instead there appear to only be custom weapons and ammo, or maybe they only visually appear to be so. Will look into that when I do a run-through without bots.
If you would play this map you will get what those are doing. ;)
EvilGrins wrote:Downstairs arcade was nice, but the things "hanging" on the wall weren't actually on the wall and none of the pillars are solid; you can run right through them.
So... you haven't met the King till now?
EvilGrins
Godlike
Personal rank: God of Fudge

Post by EvilGrins »

Oh, right... I was in spectator mode

Never mind.
papercoffee wrote:To ghost and spectate is prohibited. Go play the map.
Unless you're hosting it somewhere, there's not much to play with bots that largely stay where they spawned in.
papercoffee wrote:So... you haven't met the King till now?
King?!?
Last edited by EvilGrins on Fri Oct 13, 2017 8:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
http://unreal-games.livejournal.com/
medor wrote:Replace Skaarj with EvilGrins :mrgreen:
Smilies · viewtopic.php?f=8&t=13758
papercoffee
Godlike

Post by papercoffee »

EvilGrins wrote:
Oh, right... I was in spectator mode

Never mind.
I ninjaed you ... read my response above viewtopic.php?p=101329#p101329