Tutorial: Converting UED2 brushes into OBJ format

Any kind of tutorial regarding U-Ed and mapping belongs here
PrinceOfFunky
Godlike

Tutorial: Converting UED2 brushes into OBJ format

Post by PrinceOfFunky »

Almost the opposite of this topic: Converting Blender models into UED2 brushes, with the exception that thanks to this UnrealToObj you can actually use the OBJ file everywhere else other than Blender.

VIDEO TUTORIAL:
6694sW-WvJs

TUTORIAL:
1. Before to make a t3d BRUSH format(You can use a T3D Map Format, but brush locations won't be converted), so before you intersect the brush, use "Transform Permanently" or the exported brush will be stretched on an axis.
2. Download UnrealToObj(Thanks to SC]-[WARTZ_{HoF} who found it) and open the exe.
3. Select your T3D file using the button on the right of the input "Input T3D Ascii File".
4. Select the location where you want to save the object output file using the button on the right of the input "Output Obj File".
5. Check "Convert Geometry"(if you don't check it the Object file won't be created).
6. Select the "Texture Type" and "Masked Texture Type" type. (If you select PCX it won't be read in Blender).
7. Click on "Go" to execute the conversion.
A window will be open which will tell you what Textures you will need to export from UnrealEditor. In case you closed that window and you forgot what textures to export, or the window overflowed the screen and you couldn't see all the Texture's names, a TXT is created called which name ends with "MissingTextures", there you can read all the textures you will need to export in order to visualize them with the Object.
The OBJ file will be created with the MTL file(texture location references for the Object File), this last is human readable so, in case you want to add a Texture or edit one or change the file type of some, you can modify it just by opening it with a text editor.
In case you need a bulk to change the texture file formats, you can use Total Image Converter.
IMPORTANT: When you import the brush, alwasy choose the Z axis as the "Up"/"Height" axis, so that the brush won't be imported rotated on the Y axis!

NOTE: TESTED IT WITH Blender Cycles Render Engine, and it works:
(If, when you import the brush, it is huge, just scale it)

Old Tutorial & Resources:
Spoiler
OLD RESOURCES:
So, looks like these converters on this page are useful to convert ASE to T3D. Links are from ut.rushbase.net which is broken since raxxy didn't fix it anymore, but the website and its resources can still be found using the Web Archive, this is the link to the folder containing both the converters(the one for UT4 and the one for UT3). The one for UT3 works with UT99 too and previous titles:
https://web.archive.org/web/20151204094 ... mexp/tools
Actually the latest one for UT4 can be found on this github: https://github.com/xtremexp/UT4Converter

OLD TUTORIAL:
You can open the UT3 converter which is written in Java running the .bat file (unless you use the command line) which will run the .jar file, once it runs you have to specify the UT99(or whatever other available Unreal title) ROOT folder and click on "close", then you click on "T3D File" and then to "T3D Brush" and "Convert toStatic Mesh (ase)", you'll be prompted to select the T3D you want to convert, it'll be converted into ASE and saved into the same folder where the T3D is in.
(You can do more with that program, like converting DeusEx maps and other Unreal titles maps and brushes into T3D or UNR files)

You can try using one of the modules downloadable from this page, but they are all out of date with the latest versions of Blender(I tried using some with Blender 2.79 and none of them worked), it would need to be ported for latest versions of Blender.

EDIT: Of course you can use the HSKP2UNR plug-in for "Google Sketchup"(cause it doesn't work with "Sketchup"), but when you import a T3D it is stretched on an axis.
EDIT2: The strech "bug" wasn't related to the plug-in, it was related to the geometry in which you encoded the brush when exporting it, if, before to intersecate, you use "Transform Permanently" and then export the brush, it will not be stretched into one axis.
Last edited by PrinceOfFunky on Sun Oct 15, 2017 6:17 am, edited 5 times in total.
"Your stuff is known to be buggy and unfinished/not properly tested"
PrinceOfFunky
Godlike

Re: Tutorial: Converting UED2 brushes into OBJ format

Post by PrinceOfFunky »

Tutorial updated!
Dr.Flay
Godlike
Personal rank: Chaos Evangelist

Post by Dr.Flay »

Shame your English has not updated. Anyone using google translate may have problems.
Section No.1 is.... a...er... collection of words :noidea

"...before to... " is not correct.
"...before you..." makes more sense.

What does "intersecate" mean in context with UEd ?
https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/intersecate
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

Doc, please have mercy for non-english speakers :( .

However, related to this sudden mesh/obj/brush/t3d affinity I would like to see something valid, a level posted having such stuff, and/or a video tutorial recorded or a tutorial having pictures as I could see in OS tweaking debates. By speaking and posting links for me is like a dummy thing as long as servers might be in outage exactly when you do need them (see wiki as a sample). So what is the purpose of blabbering without something touchable ?
Example:
Pic 1 - opening that doing that and that
Pic 2 - doing that and that and checking something
Pic 3 - open that app called ..., if you don't have it get it from here (some link)
Pic 4 - etc.
Sample of level - this one (some link or attachment). Or all stages being dropped in a PDF document readable all time even without being connected to Internet.

For me something is like a fog here anyway, we are exporting carefully a t3d brush and in final stage we are importing this sort of brush - WHY ? :???:
PrinceOfFunky wrote:1. Before to make a t3d BRUSH format(NOT LEVEL format), so before to intersecate the brush, use "Transform Permanently" or the exported brush will be stretched on an axis.
PrinceOfFunky wrote:IMPORTANT: When you import the brush, alwasy choose the Z axis as the "Up"/"Height" axis, so that the brush won't be imported rotated on the Y axis!
Now I need a tutorial for explaining purpose of this tutorial... about exporting a brush and re-importing that brush (I don't see any "mesh" mentioned nowhere), I really don't need any external application for importing an exported brush - I did this multiple times probing those dummy prefabs.
At least this is what I could figure after reading the head and the tail.
PrinceOfFunky
Godlike

Post by PrinceOfFunky »

Dr.Flay wrote:Shame your English has not updated. Anyone using google translate may have problems.
Section No.1 is.... a...er... collection of words :noidea

"...before to... " is not correct.
"...before you..." makes more sense.

What does "intersecate" mean in context with UEd ?
https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/intersecate
I thought I was correct D: Thanks for the info then, I'll correct it. Fact is that when I talk to others I usually say "before to" and no one ever told me that was wrong, they should have lol...
sektor2111 wrote:For me something is like a fog here anyway, we are exporting carefully a t3d brush and in final stage we are importing this sort of brush - WHY ? :???:
Well... exporting is done so that you can later import. In this case we are actually exporting into T3D from UnrealEd, then converting it to OBJ format and then importing it back into other 3D editing softwares, since OBJ is much more common than T3D(most softwares cannot read T3D files).
sektor2111 wrote:a video tutorial recorded or a tutorial having pictures
Maybe it's because I understood how and so I thought anyone would have got it easily, well I'll put some pictures when I will have some time .o.
JackGriffin
Godlike
Personal rank: -Retired-

Post by JackGriffin »

PoF, hit me up anytime and I'll help you smooth out any rough patches in your descriptions. PM/email me and I'll do it happily. Anything to support someone trying to work.
So long, and thanks for all the fish
Dr.Flay
Godlike
Personal rank: Chaos Evangelist

Post by Dr.Flay »

PrinceOfFunky wrote: I thought I was correct D: Thanks for the info then, I'll correct it. Fact is that when I talk to others I usually say "before to" and no one ever told me that was wrong, they should have lol...
Glad you didn't take my sarcasm as being too critical. I know your standard of English is usually very good.
People won't bother to correct things like that in conversation, but for written instructions good grammar and spelling becomes more important.
I do not type the way I speak, because most of the English speaking world would not understand the way Cornish phrases would read.
"Ere, wozzon ere en yo ?" is how I would say "Here, What is on here then eh ?", but in correct English it should be "What is going on here ?"
"Wer ee goin too ov en yo ?" is how I would say "Where you going too of then eh ? which is total nonsense, and should be "Where are you going ?"
Yeah I really talk like that and criticise actual English people studying English or doing a writing degree at the University here :lol2:

I don't judge anyone non-English for bad Ingrish, as the English are some of the worst offenders and so often set a bad example. I save judgement for them :wink:
I will however continue being sarcastic, as that is another important skill related to the use of English :tu:

Anyway, back on topic, Is it not easier to just do this task with UEd 2.1 ?
It has a lot more import/export options
PrinceOfFunky
Godlike

Post by PrinceOfFunky »

- Added a video tutorial to the first post! (It is about 1 hour so maybe it's better to speed it up)
Dr.Flay wrote:Anyway, back on topic, Is it not easier to just do this task with UEd 2.1 ?
It has a lot more import/export options
I talked about this in the video, the only formats that UEd2.1 can export for 3D brushes and maps are T3D and U3D, both are not that common anymore, they aren't supported by modern 3D editors. So converting a T3D to OBJ(which a very common 3D model format nowdays) you can import the model in any modern 3D editor.
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

Once again - A DEMO LEVEL. I wanna see if worth wasting 1 hour for looking at a video.
PrinceOfFunky
Godlike

Post by PrinceOfFunky »

sektor2111 wrote:Once again - A DEMO LEVEL. I wanna see if worth wasting 1 hour for looking at a video.
What? The tutorial is about "converting t3d's into obj's", at least this is the main reason of this topic, nothing about levels etc. Also at the end of the video I try converting it back to t3d using the ASEtoT3D converter, but there are some bugs, so unless someone finds out how to fix those bugs, UnrealToObj can be good for make animations and images on other 3D editing softwares, if you rly would like to then use ASEtoT3D to convert it back to T3D, then that can be good to use just with simple brushes I think.
makemeunreal
Masterful

Post by makemeunreal »

Could you please upload those stretched maps?
PrinceOfFunky
Godlike

Post by PrinceOfFunky »

makemeunreal wrote:Could you please upload those stretched maps?
What stretched maps? You mean the twisted CTF-Face's tower screenshot I sent in the "Screenshots" topic?
makemeunreal
Masterful

Post by makemeunreal »

Yes that one! And the Inoxx map as well! They look gorgeous that way.
PrinceOfFunky
Godlike

Post by PrinceOfFunky »

makemeunreal wrote:Yes that one! And the Inoxx map as well! They look gorgeous that way.
I will upload the T3Ds but as I said in the video, they have some cuts.
makemeunreal
Masterful

Post by makemeunreal »

They are Unreal-stuff no matter how many cuts they have.