CMC contest... deadline extension?

Tutorials and discussions about Mapping - Introduce your own ones!

A lot of maps dropped out, should there be a deadline extension?

Poll ended at Sat Oct 14, 2017 6:28 am

Yes, an extra week, no penalty.
17%
Yes, an extra week, but with a -1 or -2 point penalty.
25%
No. (they can still submit for the mappack, but they won't be eligible for the prizes)
58%

Total votes: 12

papercoffee
Godlike
Personal rank: coffee addicted !!!

Re: CMC contest... deadline extension?

Post by papercoffee »

UnrealGGecko wrote:Thanks for the input guys, just wanted to know your thoughts. I voted a no extension as well.
Sorry if I pissed you off, just want to make it fair to people who missed the deadline, which were a lot this year. :sad2:
Image We over reacted a little bit because you asked if we should take out the tension of this contest... After many of us worked their ass off to get it done in time.

If you would have asked this question halfway between start and end of the contest, the reactions would be maybe much more calm and maybe we would have agreed on something. :wink:
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

So we have maps - NOT ready maps (see page no. 13 of contest), released or which will not gonna be released and/or and out of rules: flawed A.I. even Net Stuff bad done - yeah, get pissed off now, have fun with them. I can't wait to see winner and sorting criteria...

Good I can test chaosification update in my own cubes, no problem.
papercoffee
Godlike

Post by papercoffee »

What is your problem sektor? We have maps that work pretty well.
For the Map-pack can those maps be refined and fixed. As we did all the years before.
sektor2111 wrote:flawed A.I. even Net Stuff bad done
If you mean our Mansion map... Yeah we know that the AI stuff isn't ideal. But if you would look into it and see what actually was done (and I know you are capable if it) you wouldn't have made a better pathing in it... plus creating the map and coding everything.
SilverSound
Adept
Personal rank: Curious

Post by SilverSound »

Yeah it would suck for me if this happens. I ended up finishing early due to my miss remembrance of the dead line. I decided to stick to that submit. I can post fixes and such but a deadline increase would be bad for a lot of people who took it seriously.

Edit: if you are worried about pathing can't we help each other out with it? I wouldn't see a single issue with helping others with something like that.

We essentially help each other with feedback posts anyway.
"Woah what?! I wish I was recording that...."
papercoffee
Godlike

Post by papercoffee »

SilverSound wrote: Edit: if you are worried about pathing can't we help each other out with it? I wouldn't see a single issue with helping others with something like that.

We essentially help each other with feedback posts anyway.
Thanks, but I'm not bad at pathing myself ...it's due to the nature of the map that you can't path it well. :wink:
Did you play it?
SilverSound
Adept
Personal rank: Curious

Post by SilverSound »

I haven't. I've decided to wait a bit. I'll download them all today and do so after lunch Though.
"Woah what?! I wish I was recording that...."
nogardilaref
Masterful
Personal rank: ⚋⚊⚌☰⚞⌖⚟☰⚌⚊⚋

Post by nogardilaref »

sektor2111 wrote:So we have maps - NOT ready maps (see page no. 13 of contest), released or which will not gonna be released and/or and out of rules: flawed A.I. even Net Stuff bad done - yeah, get pissed off now, have fun with them. I can't wait to see winner and sorting criteria...

Good I can test chaosification update in my own cubes, no problem.
Probably the winner will be sorted out by well each map plays overall, and yeah, many maps will have something broken over the deadline, but that doesn't have to be the same for the actual final mappack after the contest itself.
For instance, I released an alpha which is as broken as it can get, but I intend to work further on it and release a proper version which actually works well and is complete by the time it is included in the final mappack.
Dr.Flay
Godlike
Personal rank: Chaos Evangelist

Post by Dr.Flay »

All maps will be judged as they are now, including borks and bugs, but it is clear that we will need to release the pack in a fixed form after the judging and feedback.
Maps that did not make the deadline should still be continued, and could be included as a secondary bonus pack.

Does this seem a fair way to be inclusive of those that "also ran" ?
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

Right now by knowing in big parts what's inside Chaos, I think I know which maps are messed up in A.I. without to even look at them in game - only at prefix - they are ruined correctly by Chaos itself, if they have other mapping bugs that's a different story. No long extra-comments. I'm curios to see later what fixes are doable without fixing chaos - these are requiring not only mapping knowledge but a bit of coding as well :lol2: Chaos mapping... :lol:

Final mappack will be an interesting stuff to see... no worries my Editor is operational so I will be able to fix the fixes with no problems - NET STUFF for flares bad set included...

All right, I'll stop bitching, let's reveal truth. Maps done for team-games CTF DOM MH will have some A.I. because of game specific directives in pushing Bot.
Maps for non team-games might go messy depending on items used and their placement, DM here. All these are happening due to Chaos which will ignore your skills, ruining your work.