CMC Contest: Players' choice poll

Tutorials and discussions about Mapping - Introduce your own ones!
JackGriffin
Godlike
Personal rank: -Retired-

Re: CMC Contest: Players' choice poll

Post by JackGriffin »

I enjoyed working in our map and seeing the work of others. That's always fun.

However, if there is a next contest there needs to be someone *in charge* from the drop. This turned into a shit show and it shouldn't happen again. Someone needs to run the contest from the beginning, there needs to be a VERY CLEAR rules set as well as scoring system. Almost every facet of this was done incorrectly and if it weren't for people being good sports here it could easily have devolved into a very negative experience for many people involved.

Let's not do that again. There are a ton of people external to this forum that are upstanding, wonderful members of the community that would gladly arbitrate a contest if asked and would have the time to do it. Bring someone in if you have to but make sure this doesn't recur. One really bad contest and resulting fight could cause an unrecoverable fracture in the community and we don't need that. Luckily this all went OK but I'm sure you can easily imagine it veering hard right and chaos ensuing because people really doing their best work felt wronged.
So long, and thanks for all the fish
Red_Fist
Godlike

Post by Red_Fist »

If indeed that there was-is a prize, it should have been advertised to all the other forums including all the SDK new places. Like 2 weeks before the contest begins.

A good majority of mappers just might want that UT box prize more than you think.

As for the rules the "Chaos" thing sort of threw it off, but yes we need a designated leader and set rules and a designated map pack maker.

As for timing, it takes me a long time to make a map, but if I did (for me) I think 8 weeks should be enough to work out the bugs. Never enough time.
Binary Space Partitioning
Carbon
Inhuman
Personal rank: Hoarder.

Post by Carbon »

Well, it seems we have a small (the same guys keep 'winning') but very fair and diplomatic community here. Memsys also declined the prize, as they have won before and felt it needless to have a second copy.

But yes, the contest did seem to suffer from some randomness this time around but that is going to happen at times. We have run quite a few of these without an issue, so this was just anomalous. Perhaps next time we can collectively write the rules first and plan each stage of the event a tad more carefully. I would be more than happy to be involved in such an endeavor, as would many others, I'm sure.

So yeah, the prize is unclaimed. I'm happy to send it off to another contestant who placed well or just hang on to it for the next one. And there should be a next one. :highfive:
Terraniux
Masterful
Personal rank: Banished member

Post by Terraniux »

Carbon wrote: So yeah, the prize is unclaimed. I'm happy to send it off to another contestant who placed well or just hang on to it for the next one. And there should be a next one. :highfive:

Before you make that decision, ExpEm stil needs to reply! :MHEvent: I will send him a pm. We keep on ending on a tie. Either scoring or poll. :omfg:

How are ties handled in other (e)-sports comps?
This member can only post when permitted.
nogardilaref
Masterful
Personal rank: ⚋⚊⚌☰⚞⌖⚟☰⚌⚊⚋

Post by nogardilaref »

Terraniux wrote:We keep on ending on a tie. Either scoring or poll. :omfg:
I hate to be that guy, but if this poll is considered, then he won the prize, as his map got 2 votes in the poll, whereas yours had 1.
makemeunreal
Masterful

Post by makemeunreal »

What if we merge these points in a new post to be clear...
I don't care what place I ended up. List me as a withdrawn....
From the whole fucking community consisiting of online smartass (dumb in RL) assholes, toxic fucks runing others stuff flaming and cursing.
:agree1: :agree1: :agree1: :agree1: :agree1: :gj: :gj: :gj: :gj:
Dumb shit some guys are.
:agree1: :agree1: :agree1: :agree1: :agree1: :agree1: :agree1: :agree1: :agree1: :agree1: :agree1: :agree1:
Terraniux
Masterful

Post by Terraniux »

nogardilaref wrote:
Terraniux wrote:We keep on ending on a tie. Either scoring or poll. :omfg:
I hate to be that guy, but if this poll is considered, then he won the prize, as his map got 2 votes in the poll, whereas yours had 1.
Well it is just a general vote of fun / best. Not official point scoring. Just wait for Expem's call for this, then we can close the discussion.
nogardilaref
Masterful
Personal rank: ⚋⚊⚌☰⚞⌖⚟☰⚌⚊⚋

Post by nogardilaref »

@Terraniux: Oh, I thought when you mentioned the poll that you were talking about this one, hence me mentioning it. :tongue:
Yeah, sure, no problem.

@makemeunreal: Are you alright? :confused2:
It's kinda late to withdraw anything though, whichever reason you're doing it for.
JackGriffin
Godlike
Personal rank: -Retired-

Post by JackGriffin »

JackGriffin wrote:Luckily this all went OK but I'm sure you can easily imagine it veering hard right and chaos ensuing because people really doing their best work felt wronged.
WTG Kelly. You totally jinxed things.

Seriously, please don't feel slighted in the least Terra. It's almost impossible to compare an MH map with a DM map in an apples-to-apples way. MH maps are complex in every way a DM map is but also a good bunch more. Besides people who don't play MH will not vote for it because they just won't bother to try to open it to even see.

I have your map running on my server, it's been played and I have played it multiple times. It's a good map (I expect no less from you though) and that's what matters when you are working in the niche gametype of monsterhunt. Don't let it bother you. I have arguably the most hours spent in the MH world of anybody in here and I'm telling you that it's good. Damn good, and that should count for a lot.
So long, and thanks for all the fish
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

For me MH is main stage, regarding to what others are thinking. I started something else rather than writing controllers. I think they are good enough as they are (a tiny update might be good for public MH2 stages but I'm not rushing there). The rest are other subject.
I would like to do other MH map during this contest but Chaos... is Chaos from all "ViewPorts". Some maps are not that friendly with Chaos so it will never see my MH playground. Then... I don't have a valid purpose to do a map for that, probably "rental" some Chaos in other Level will be more efficient.
Carbon
Inhuman

Post by Carbon »

Wow...this whole thing is pretty messy.

makemeunreal is next in line to get the prize, so mate....if you're done melting down, PM me your mailing address. ;) Joking, of course about the meltdown, but try not to let things get too serious. You've been on a content creation roll over the last while and deserve something for all of your efforts, contest work included. :tu:
Terraniux
Masterful

Post by Terraniux »

Carbon wrote:Wow...this whole thing is pretty messy.

makemeunreal is next in line to get the prize, so mate....if you're done melting down, PM me your mailing address. ;) Joking, of course about the meltdown, but try not to let things get too serious. You've been on a content creation roll over the last while and deserve something for all of your efforts, contest work included. :tu:
..............................................................................................

Are you like ....................................... serious.....

For all I know you are the last person in "charge" but, ExpEm and me are final '' second tied'.
I told three times now, he and I have and equal vote on how thing are about to happen.

This reaction of yours makes me vomit.
Please tell me I DO MISREAD your comment

Or I will never - ever be part of of a UT99 contest again. I kept my cool for a long ----------------------- LONG time now....
If the person in charge of the prices votes a non-winner to be a winner now.

Please tell me I mistunderstand you.

Otherwise. There will be no fucking UT99.org comp I will ever attend again. \

I put so much energy and time and effort in it, and we ended up in a tie --- the commnutiy gets confused.

You are litterally saying now -- I dont care who won, just send the mail address. This is nothing personal to you Carbon. You are offering a serious , maybe a slight personal prize, which we very appreciate

I MEAN EVERYONE WON. FUCKING EVERYONE HAS FIRST PLACE NOW.

IT IS TIE AFTER TIE , AFTER TIE.

/ End salt.

GECKO / ADMINS / IN CHARGE PERSONAL. ---

End this discussion - carbon wishes to have price sent to be winner - discarts it - then its a TIE - ends up in debate AGAIN. - I bring a solution - not helping - due time -

.......................... Make up your minds. Who gets the price: SCORE WINNNERS: 2nd place Terraniux - ExpEM
or Nogardilaref and Memsyes
memsys
Adept
Personal rank: Silicon Lifeform

Post by memsys »

Sigh, I guess I am as much to blame for the current situation, I felt it was unfair that I would get another big box seeing as the last time I entered I also ended up winning so I thought I could make someone happy. I never intended to create so much fuss.
Carbon
Inhuman

Post by Carbon »

Terraniux wrote:Are you like ....................................... serious.....<snip>
Makes you vomit? Mate, take it down a couple of notches. Those kinds of reactions are not only unnecessary but don't help to get to the bottom of this situation.

Maybe the problem for me is that I'm looking at the numbers put up at the start of this thread, which tell a story that doesn't support your ideas. Is there something I'm missing here....a collective tally that isn't readily available?

Ridiculous! All I'm trying to do is give something away. Can someone in charge please definitively tell me who I should send this to?
makemeunreal
Masterful

Post by makemeunreal »

Mkay. I've been stormin' the admins to "give in" a prize, (my Steam account) but they didn't know if it's legal and shit.

Participants only:

DM-CMC-Letitia 2-1-3 +1SL-+1FL
CTF-CMC-HellScape 1-1-1 +1SL-+1FL
MH-CMC-PartyCrashers 1-3-1-3 +1SL-+1FL
DM-CMC-Constantine 2-1 +1SL-+1FL
DM-CMC-Lords_Of_TheVoid 2-2-2 +1FL
DM-CMC-ChaosKeep 3-3-3-2 +1SL-+1FL
DOM-CMC-NaliPsyence 3-3-2 +1SL-+1FL
CTF-CMC-Kullrena 1-2 +1SL

Bonus
SL= space limit
FL= file-size limit

Player's choice.

OVERALL:
DM-CMC-Letitia 2-1-3 +1SL-+1FL +4 =12
CTF-CMC-HellScape 1-1-1 +1SL-+1FL +1 =6
MH-CMC-PartyCrashers 1-3-1-3 +1SL-+1FL +1 =11
DM-CMC-Constantine 2-1 +1SL-+1FL +2 =7
DM-CMC-Lords_Of_TheVoid 2-2-2 +1FL +1 =8
DM-CMC-ChaosKeep 3-3-3-2 +1SL-+1FL +6 =19
DOM-CMC-NaliPsyence 3-3-2 +1SL-+1FL +2 =12
CTF-CMC-Kullrena 1-2 +1SL +6 =10

i'M WILLIN TO GIVE AWAY MY ACCOUNT, if you accept it.