CMC Contest: Players' choice poll

Tutorials and discussions about Mapping - Introduce your own ones!
makemeunreal
Masterful

Re: CMC Contest: Players' choice poll

Post by makemeunreal »

Those are ready to be played.
Carbon
Inhuman
Personal rank: Hoarder.

Post by Carbon »

Terraniux wrote:I apologize for my previous post. But I hope people understand my reaction.
Sorry Carbon. My can of salt is empty now. This is exactly the result of confusion.
No problem mate. :highfive:

I was confused as well and it seems we have a 2nd place tie between you and ExpEM, so I'll just send you both a copy. My supply is getting pretty low, but I think this will smooth things out for all. I'm fine with doing this, so if everyone else is cool, then let's just do that. Both of you guys deserve some props for work outside of this contest anyhow, so this is my way to thank you both for the past and present. 8)

I'm looking into getting more copies for future contests...and there will be future contests! Let's not let one mix-up make long-term problems here folks. We are a small community and don't need any internal problems.

Next time around, let's get a few people together as a committee to decide on the rules and make sure they are crystal clear. No disrespect to the organizers this time at all; it seems there were some issues right from the start with the mapper's interpretation of the Chaos theme and it just snowballed from there.

So, if Terraniux and ExpEM can PM me your mailing addresses, I'll get these off to you. Done! :tu:
Last edited by Carbon on Mon Nov 06, 2017 11:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
editor Dave
Inhuman
Personal rank: Passionate SP Mapper

Post by editor Dave »

sektor2111 wrote: However, by reading explanations toward Chaos theme
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=12335#p99420 - "extra quote - Chaos will never be set in a nice location."
described by Flay, we might have some ambience inspiring fear, regrets to be there, a miss-balancing feeling like death is tracking you, not like you are in a sort of holiday at Miami Beach. Else, after my understanding toward some let's say described rules I see:
Thanks for the link; it seems I totally missed that thread. From this perspective it is, of course, pretty clear what the Chaos contest meant to be about. I somehow totally missed the link to the thread in the official contest thread. Maybe because it doesn't seem to belong to the contest theme itself, as it is placed at the bottom of the post as "extra info". If the theme was described like this, I think it would've been easier for some people to get their minds into.
The theme of the contest is CHAOS ...spooky bloody chaos! Yes, you heard right: Everything evil and malice you can think of and beyond will be accepted. Forget those lame candle-lit pumpkins, we want skeletons, skulls, tortures, lava or a pitch black pit of nothingness. Make it claustrophobic, make it irritating, bend the laws of physics, you decide! As long as you experience the Chaos feel provied by the ChaosUT mod, you are set to go. If you present us a map in the likes of Miami beach, you will lose points because you are too sane. Unless it is interrupted by a meteor shower! For more inspiration and the origins of the Chaos theme, read: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=12335#p99420
Well, I'm just an outsider, anyway. :noidea

@Carbon: I really like the idea, this is very generous of you. :thuup:
10-Year Anniversary on Jun 08, 2019.
nogardilaref
Masterful
Personal rank: ⚋⚊⚌☰⚞⌖⚟☰⚌⚊⚋

Post by nogardilaref »

@UnrealGGecko: I think everyone here knows that RL can be a bitch and steal away all the time from doing stuff here, and that's absolutely fine of course, it's completely unavoidable, and RL trumps over anything that occurs over here.
However, it would be nice for us to not be left out hanging, that's all.

To start with, you don't need to do this alone.
I offered you a helping hand last week, but you seem to want to do this in your own in your own way, and I fully respect that, especially as I would probably do the same.
But at least just let us know, just like you did just now. You don't need to give an overall detailed explanation since it's nobody's business on what's happening in your life of course, saying what you just said about wating 2 more weeks due to RL and since you want final versions is enough.

As for me, to be honest I became rather demotivated from the moment we didn't have a mappack ready by the time Halloween passed by, and it seems that no one really cared much to boot, so I simply resumed what I was developing before the contest and didn't pick up my own map since.
Given that finally we have some prospects of a release at all, and that we have now 2 weeks to properly finish the maps, I guess I will do so then somewhere during this week and release 2 final versions (a normal and a lite one playable for everyone), and from there whenever it happens, it happens, even if it gets delayed again by then.
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

It do seems that forum needs a poll for completing some 2 auxiliary admins positions (people with a good english) as long as I saw last time admins mainly out. Guys, A FORUM do needs admins else it goes down-hill.
XaNKoNII
Skilled
Personal rank: Phenix

Post by XaNKoNII »

Well well well... I go underground for a few weeks and come back to a no mans lan filled with corpses :shock:
Red_Fist wrote:I would send the prize to the guy who made

DM-CMC-Lords_Of_TheVoid by XaNcOnII

Final answer :idea2:
Was the best map.
hahaha thanks, but that map in now way is a winner... it fails in so many aspects that I still have to learn but it really helps to hear someone say this about your work :wtf:

As for whats going on... I´ll try my best to make a Final version of Lords_of_TheVoid but I want to finish an SP map im workin (its almost Over)
OjitroC
Godlike

Post by OjitroC »

XaNKoNII wrote: I´ll try my best to make a Final version of Lords_of_TheVoid but I want to finish an SP map im workin (its almost Over)
Look forward to both of those - love the atmosphere of Lords_of_TheVoid plus the void itself is pretty cool.
Red_Fist
Godlike

Post by Red_Fist »

Well you did the traditional methods for DM, you had the bridge above , connected sides, and the large area below.
Has places to get away fast and some sort of pillar fight type of thing with the two bottom halls.

The map had character, it also has the risk of getting both shields. go read my comments in the other thread I played all the maps.

I don't know if you get a point for knocking someone into the void, but that would be yet another factor to a good map.

You did good for a DM, other gametypes need different geometry considerations, but for DM was good mapping. :thuup:
Binary Space Partitioning