How to get the numeric dimensions of a brush in UnrealEd?

Tutorials and discussions about Mapping - Introduce your own ones!
Red_Fist
Godlike

Re: How to get the numeric dimensions of a brush in UnrealEd

Post by Red_Fist »

It is nice to find dimensions, I always have to type values in and not use scaling. While looking at grid 1

Working on others maps or even my own map after you leave for a while or stop working on it you can't remember what size things were.
Binary Space Partitioning
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

If I need to recreate a cube based on a similar previous one, I really don't need to know how big it was... when you do work with Editor several things are simple. You can duplicate a brush, you can copy red builder to selected brush for creating a clone, seriously I have never need to know any brush dimension - these new requests are confusing me - except these paths-doing stuff where I need an exact confirmation because these are NEVER visible and I need to know exactly the distance for not making borked things. What is building Editor is different from what I have in game and links through walls are not what I want, as long as I have some custom rules for linking them.
Red_Fist
Godlike

Post by Red_Fist »

The problem with polys to brush, is that you get the same damn BSP error or polyflags or some weird pivot vertice stuff.

So in order to weed out some BSP problem is start fresh with a new brush.
Just another tool.
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

I had a bad-ass semisolid giving me pain - more painful to redo it, so I FIXED IT without redoing.
Red_Fist
Godlike

Post by Red_Fist »

What they say is, once you intersect and subtract from a semisolid, it's permanently marred. I hate those semis cuz you never know. :mad2:
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

Not in purpose to go off topic but... my semisolids were breaking and busting all myths toward these things:
- do not make them big - I have done entire islands;
- do not make them available as ground and players touching even two of them in the same time - I did this - So what ?;
- do not put them closer to portals - under some island there is a portal to a death zone - So what ? Not a single one like this and it works properly;

My notes in exchange:
Semisolid and non-solid closer in a subtracted room with BSP cuts around = VERY UGLY Things. And that's the main issue BSPCuts and nothing else than them and only them + miss-aligned also are painful and also intersecting them with others is not always that nice, the rest of semisolid's scary movies are not fascinating for me.

You can copy semisolid to a builder and making later a solid or a non-solid thing - depends on situation... To be honest I need more practice toward Level Design things because I'm not scared about building simple things.

For figuring their size I simply look at GRID - it's self explanatory after all - that's why exist this grid, for being used.