Pathnodes not linking

Tutorials and discussions about Mapping - Introduce your own ones!
sektor2111
Godlike

Re: Pathnodes not linking

Post by sektor2111 »

:loool:
Now you have 3 USELESS PathNodes... Congrats ! Add more...
Have you even tried to move in map through that rat hole ? How big is the weight there ?

I think we need to debate paths debugging stuff in a separate thread. Maybe you want to learn some crap which I do when Edy Goblin is going retarded and you need to negotiate with him.
PrinceOfFunky
Godlike

Post by PrinceOfFunky »

sektor2111 wrote::loool:
Now you have 3 USELESS PathNodes... Congrats ! Add more...
Have you even tried to move in map through that rat hole ? How big is the weight there ?

I think we need to debate paths debugging stuff in a separate thread. Maybe you want to learn some crap which I do when Edy Goblin is going retarded and you need to negotiate with him.
True, I cannot pass through there XD Oh well, guess bots and players will have to jump on it :D
"Your stuff is known to be buggy and unfinished/not properly tested"
JackGriffin
Godlike
Personal rank: -Retired-

Post by JackGriffin »

Why not just move the box slightly? It's got to be really close to allowing passage.
So long, and thanks for all the fish
OjitroC
Godlike

Post by OjitroC »

PrinceOfFunky wrote: Oh well, guess bots and players will have to jump on it :D
Well, players can walk around the left side of the small box and move behind it to the right behind the larger boxes to pick up what's there in that corner - there is no need for players to jump on the small box or to go to the right of the small box to get the pickup (don't know about bots - didn't try with them) - did this though on CTF-Hadron_Test so don't know about CTF-Hadron but this part looks the same. Looks like the small box is there to provide some cover.
Last edited by OjitroC on Mon Dec 18, 2017 7:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

PrinceOfFunky wrote:True, I cannot pass through there XD Oh well
See ? That's why moving in map first is important in such spots requiring stunts. If you are forcing links there Bot will get stuck running at wall. That spot will require a jump depending on box height as well which Editor can do or not. Boxes pathing is also doable with default Stock properly declaring some parameters at LiftCenter which is used combined with TWO LiftExit things - known combo LE-LC-LE or even a PainPath (without any Pain declared nowhere). Entire combo chain has an unique LiftTag string different from any other combo from map.
JackGriffin
Godlike
Personal rank: -Retired-

Post by JackGriffin »

So I guess this all boils down to "If the paths are red then there's a reason" and it would benefit you to at least understand why. That's a good concept to keep in the memory.
So long, and thanks for all the fish
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

Yes, and there are other considerations. In some random map you might have a PathNode higher located and another one Lower. By figuring that line it's in blue color you will intend to say "I'm ok here". That's not always true. Path is perfect from high spot to down spot - actually you can reach in lower area with no issues - the question is if you can access the way back. If spot is at 120 UU higher I'm not convinced about jumping so high. In "hardcore" mode Pawn can jump on a 50 UU box if I well recall (meaning player and bot) but if this box is way bigger then I'm not convinced that editor will say move there - if Editor will set restrictive ReachSpecs, GameEngine will not react different at this point.
Red paths means that Scout has been adjusted to fit there so path is not build for default Pawn size - small pawns might have access and jumpers. Usually reds have some ReachSpecs restricting Pawn from mooing there - I think Higor removed/changed some of these things in new devs - I smelt changes.

Sloping a bit through Nodes aka PathNodes for anyone having this hobby, you can forget automated pathing. Reason(s) yeah, there are more reasons:
- pathing solution mathematically is not that accurate at all - some "left-wall-walk" solution dropping nodes here and there - a complex geometry will not help in this case;
- a small BSP problem might influence building process;
- based on logs I could figure that Scout is used as a test pawn - amazingly bCanJump=False - resulting in very plain paths without many options - perhaps a cube map with nothing inside is suitable for this task;
- even if you have done a perfect Lift, Editor will never do paths over it accordingly.

What else did Higor ? By looking at codes and deducting, he set things for coders as a hobby, linking some node in Run-Time (C++ works here properly called from a more friendly UScript). Sometimes Bot can manage small jumps regarding to Scout which is like an useless fat-ass worm and Editor takes it as the super duper prototype for testing and "Computing Paths".
Scout child used in GunLoc (which I rented and adjusted) is a bit more jumpy so we have superior links accordingly, MBot_F did not have problems except when I linked by mistake a LiftCenter with a PathNode more far - I figured bug and fixed it. Given these options you can link what you want in run-time. For mappers there is the builder able to draw paths linked with any matter - like Teleporters, no conditions - it must be wisely used in such case.
To summarize, we have all toys for patching a map, Except geometry - which is a hard process somehow due to brush complexity.

Advantage of new builder is that you can have a map with superior paths which will run perfectly in a plain vanilla game/server, even without XCGE. That's why I'm mooing constantly about it not because I like to make noise. To be honest this XC stuff and my builders make me to seriously say that I have Editor 2.2 - that UT's 2.1 doesn't include nothing new here.