Pathnodes not linking

Tutorials and discussions about Mapping - Introduce your own ones!
PrinceOfFunky
Godlike

Pathnodes not linking

Post by PrinceOfFunky »

Wh are these very close apples not linking together?
apples.PNG
Is it cause of BSP cuts?
"Your stuff is known to be buggy and unfinished/not properly tested"
papercoffee
Godlike
Personal rank: coffee addicted !!!

Re: Pathnodes not linking

Post by papercoffee »

We would need a bigger view of that area to tell what's happening. But bsp cuts can do many odd things.
And you can see that the pathnode above has many red connections already... this can mean that it's already on a bad spot.
JackGriffin
Godlike
Personal rank: -Retired-

Post by JackGriffin »

It could be as simple as you forgot to build paths. Lord knows I forget to build after making changes.
So long, and thanks for all the fish
PrinceOfFunky
Godlike

Post by PrinceOfFunky »

I already built the path. This is from a different view:
apples2.png
papercoffee
Godlike
Personal rank: coffee addicted !!!

Post by papercoffee »

mhm... too narrow. Move the box to the left and build bsp and path again.
JackGriffin
Godlike
Personal rank: -Retired-

Post by JackGriffin »

Yeah there's something flaky in that corner. Both those nodes have only red lines when they should have clear shots to the nearby nodes. Is there a BSP cut passing through that?
So long, and thanks for all the fish
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

You guys are fascinating. Why those two selected would need linked ? YOU HAVE ALREADY links, look well before doing borks, pawn has route out of spot already :omfg: .
This might be used - the two selected are useless and spot is already way too loaded:
apples2.png
apples2.png (250.04 KiB) Viewed 1608 times
And if you are confused or you suspect that routes are borked, simply DO CHECK THEM rather than wasting time with UT's exploits, it do helps in learning process.

Aside1: This topic is also useless at some point - excuse me but you still need to read forum. In 21th century these spots can be linked easily with XC_PathBuilder if you've heard about it. First is recommended to move around spot right in game and if something like a BSP doesn't block default pawn (Bot/Player) you can proceed to link 1 SINGLE NODE from spot behind boxes with other one out and placing it accordingly (using "REPORT" command if you have heard about it). Linking is doable bidirectional in case of a player hiding there, giving to hunter option to find it.
If you do still have a problem let me do this task.
Aside2: No one is forcing you to use PathNodes - pathing options means more than PathNodes :| .

Edit:And now my eyes are awake (they are waking up a bit later than me). Clearly you don't get how do works navigation. You have just shown that spot is navigable - it has to be checked. I'm showing routes from/to that spot. As things are in picture for sure a Node there is useless.
apples2_1.PNG
PrinceOfFunky
Godlike

Post by PrinceOfFunky »

Well my question was why those pathnodes couldn't link together, not how they could. Does it mean bots necessarly have to jump on the box to get there? I mean that would look a bit ridicolous lol. And no I won't move the box... the box is not there to allow or disallow the passage to bots, it's part of the map, if it's there it means "someone" put it there for a reason.
Also when I try placing a pathnode right near that place, it doesn't get placed, maybe cause of a BSP cut, I'm not sure.
nogardilaref
Masterful
Personal rank: ⚋⚊⚌☰⚞⌖⚟☰⚌⚊⚋

Post by nogardilaref »

Navigation points have collision assigned to them and are set to fail the placement if where they are being placed is too narrow, which theoretically corresponds to how wide a passage should be, at minimum, to actually connect.

From that screenshot is clear why it doesn't connect: the box is partially blocking the passage between both nodes, and the engine is not smart enough to understand you can get around it, you would need to add another node in between at the middle of that narrowest part of that passage, or to position those 2 nodes differently so that the passage is seen to be wide enough.
For example, if you pull back that node closest to the camera there (32~48uu should be enough), it should connect once you rebuild the paths.
Gadavre
Skilled

Post by Gadavre »

PrinceOfFunky wrote:I already built the path. This is from a different view:
apples2.png
Please give me the link to your Unreal Editor v2.1 Extended Standalone Edition!
PrinceOfFunky
Godlike

Post by PrinceOfFunky »

Gadavre wrote:
PrinceOfFunky wrote:I already built the path. This is from a different view:
apples2.png
Please give me the link to your Unreal Editor v2.1 Extended Standalone Edition!
? http://ut-files.com/index.php?dir=UEdit ... 1Setup.exe
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

nogardilaref wrote:engine is not smart enough to understand you can get around it
Then you have to explain what you want to this engine guy, or slap his balls... if doesn't listen.
The reason of trying with any matter to link two "dumb" PathNodes rather than a "smart" Combo overrides my understanding. Do the game crash if there is other stuff ? I assure you it won't.
Here I have samples of my pathing stuff Before XCGE's existence.
Sample_Link1.PNG
and this
Sample_Link2.PNG
In XCGE's age and using MapGarbage these paths are piece of cake to do...
PrinceOfFunky wrote:Well my question was why those pathnodes couldn't link together,
Like I said, (or maybe you don't read replies) YOU HAVE Links already - but they have to be TESTED.
For a memory refresh - for You Funky - Did you recall that map of yours where I added navigable paths over those small columns. Are you forgetting stuff so fast ? Those "LinkPoints" or whatever name you want for them can create connections anywhere INCLUDING through BSP problems.
Linking default navigation is based on Scout testing. Scout is a fat-ass like SkaarjBerserker. While you want paths in there Berserker will not fit in spot - EVER = No ReachSpecs assigned. All pathing system from UT is based on the same "high-tech" from Unreal and it is addressing Skaarj pawns, now draw your conclusions.
However Combos like LE-PP-LE are causing forced links discarding the "size" and also teleporters - custom types, so causing linked paths is doable without any excuse.
Last edited by sektor2111 on Mon Dec 18, 2017 4:19 pm, edited 3 times in total.
nogardilaref
Masterful
Personal rank: ⚋⚊⚌☰⚞⌖⚟☰⚌⚊⚋

Post by nogardilaref »

I honestly am not understanding what you're trying to get at...
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

nogardilaref wrote:I honestly am not understanding what you're trying to get at...
Getting at quit using default PathNodes - which are for SKAARJ not Bot, do I am clear enough ?

If you wisely screw several properties of some stuff before building paths you might get links which you cannot have using default methods - by only pushing default buttons. These screwed properties can be get using a button firing a builder (like I did and posted) and which can do the task quicker than the manual work. If Editor won't link that (once again) USELESS PathNode, you can use other things in that spot. If bot doesn't move through there it's because has no purpose to do that. Bot will not navigate empty spots leading nowhere, they are moving for INVENTORIES.
PrinceOfFunky
Godlike

Post by PrinceOfFunky »

nogardilaref wrote:you would need to add another node in between at the middle of that narrowest part of that passage
Doesn't look like that :/
Attachments
apples3.png