DM-Circlepit beta

Tutorials and discussions about Mapping - Introduce your own ones!
editor Dave
Inhuman
Personal rank: Passionate SP Mapper

Re: DM-Circlepit beta

Post by editor Dave »

It's funny that all the old unrealed.info-faces show up at once :lol:

Your map has a nice Classic UT style feeling, though lighting is much better and detail is higher in comparison to the retail maps. Judging by the map's name and your favorite music style, I expected razor-ub or something alike as background music :mrgreen: Overall, the map flows nicely, the bots do their job well and reach for the powerups, which are nicely placed in a high risk - high reward manner.

Incidentally, I've noticed the same issue as Hellkeeper: The movers appear to be part of the solid geometry and are not set apart by texture or form and, thus, will surprise beginners. If this is your intention, it's perfectly fine. Then again, it would've been cool if the whole theme of your map was about surprising the player in different ways, like blocking walls (that don't necessarily have to kill the player) or several more elevating mini movers of the size of one of the tiles - with no purpose but to disrupt the players. Well, I guess, this would've gotten too much of a fun theme park vibe, which you were not going for obviously...

One minor pet peeve I have is when several copies of the same item have the exact same alignment - in your case: the new wooden planks. It's not really much of an an issue, but at the time it could be solved in one minute. ^^

All in all, I really enjoyed your map, and I admire the most that you can create a visually pleasing map with your rather minimalistic approach (even though some "corners of interest" wouldn't have hurt).
10-Year Anniversary on Jun 08, 2019.
EvilGrins
Godlike
Personal rank: God of Fudge

Post by EvilGrins »

editor Dave wrote:It's funny that all the old unrealed.info-faces show up at once
Egads, it's the UT Zombie Apocalypse!!
Image Image Image
http://unreal-games.livejournal.com/
medor wrote:Replace Skaarj with EvilGrins :mrgreen:
Smilies · viewtopic.php?f=8&t=13758
Pandemonium
Average
Personal rank: for h.exe = 0 to 665

Post by Pandemonium »

Oh yeah, I totally forgot about the alignement of the planks. You are right, it's just a few clicks..

And the movers.. As the creater of the map I know where the movers are, but I didn't think about the fact that new players don't. :ironic2:

Anyway, I'll keep it finished as it is. Glad you like it!

Maybe I'll rebuild this map for UT4 later this year. It's going to be a low poly BSP only map, as I don't master any 3d software besides UED, but that won't be a concern as gameplay and flow is more important than polycount. :rock:

You all have a nice day!

-
fudgonaut
Adept
Personal rank: Easy Target

Post by fudgonaut »

Beautiful looking map - the lighting is fantastic!