Error While adding a mover to a huge map.

Tutorials and discussions about Mapping - Introduce your own ones!
Barbie
Godlike

Re: Error While adding a mover to a huge map.

Post by Barbie »

Haminmypants wrote:I've never had any luck with making that one work, and I'll have to be able to attach a number of different actors at once.
I always succeeded with it and also multiple Actors. Probably you did something wrong there.
Haminmypants wrote:I just tried copying the attach mover code and pasting it into the elevator mover code, forming a subclass of elevator mover under MyLevel. But how do I make a brush using this subclass? It does not appear in the right click menu:
I guess that the mover classes that appear in the editor are hardcoded independently of loaded packages and their object tree...
A simple way to change the class is: Add a normal mover, select it, cut it into the clipboard and paste it into a text editor:

Code: Select all

Begin Map
Begin Actor Class=Mover Name=Mover0
    MainScale=(SheerAxis=SHEER_ZX)
End Actor
End Map
Change "Class=Mover" into "Class=MyMover", put all text into the clipboard again and paste that in UnrealEd.
sektor2111 wrote:
Barbie wrote:Probably the AttachTag will help you.
Probably bStatic actors will not help without mention troubles figured by yourself in On-Line game-play at these screwed actors to gain them movable when they are not movable by default. Any "nice" advice ?
The question was how to substitute an AttachMover, not how to move static objects.
"Multiple exclamation marks," he went on, shaking his head, "are a sure sign of a diseased mind." --Terry Pratchett
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

papercoffee wrote: Maybe someone could link to a page with all Engine limits?
I'm not sure if exist such a page but let's say some data can be found somehow in old tutorials:
Max Zones = 64 until engine is mixing them into ONE big zone lagging;
Max Nodes supported = 65536 - disregard your super duper video card - it's just useless;
Max Points supported (exhausted here as in picture with error) = 128000 - also your display will not help.
[attachment=0]Exhausted.png[/attachment]

Max Touchers = 4;
Max Paths = 1000 paths checked by Pawn when target goal is not directly reachable;
Max On-Line Networking channels = 1024 - Have you seen warping actors in high loaded maps ? Yes ? Good... it's a normal response from Engine :loool: which simply ignores your CPU power in here;
And so on as in years 1999 - that's all.

These are hard-coded and you cannot do nothing about them, they are some Model things linked in Rendering so whatever you want to Render, the Model do clamps yours many hours spent working there, and by rewriting these exist chances to not be compatible with default UT used by players.

Now the question: Do you think it will ever work ? You are out of engine boundaries, have fun with attaching other actors to this out-of-range thing.
And another question: where are PlayerStart actors when this brush-model is moving ? Inside brush ? Good Night then and have fun !
Attachments
Exhausted.png
Exhausted.png (9.46 KiB) Viewed 1318 times
papercoffee
Godlike
Personal rank: coffee addicted !!!

Post by papercoffee »

sektor2111 wrote: Max Zones = 64 until engine is mixing them into ONE big zone lagging;
Max Nodes supported = 65536 - disregard your super duper video card - it's just useless;
Max Points supported (exhausted here as in picture with error) = 128000 - also your display will not help.
Max Touchers = 4;
Max Paths = 1000 paths checked by Pawn when target goal is not directly reachable;
Max On-Line Networking channels = 1024 - Have you seen warping actors in high loaded maps ? Yes ? Good... it's a normal response from Engine which simply ignores your CPU power in here;
I will take this and add it to the Essential Tutorials thread. If you allow it.
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

papercoffee wrote:If you allow it
Of course it's allowed... At least in this age when machines are fooling people about a great power, UE1 has limits which are the same as in 1999 and perhaps it's time to know them and stay behind them for QUALITY Levels. UE1 allows a story split in episodes/Levels, you guys should take that option in account. You can have entire action properly spread in 102 Levels. Who do stops you to do that ? Nobody... I think.
nogardilaref
Masterful
Personal rank: ⚋⚊⚌☰⚞⌖⚟☰⚌⚊⚋

Post by nogardilaref »

Around 10 years ago I tried something similar to this, except that I actually built a rather big train in a big map with a bridge in the middle.
I had everything figured out and all, up until I tried to make the train move, and rather than crashing, the game went from a smooth experience to a powerpoint slideshow, the train was just too detailed with too many vertices, and it was just so laggy that I dropped the project entirely as I immediately realized that I had hit an engine limit of some sort.

As for the limits, isn't the actual practical limit on the number of zones 63 instead?
The maximum number of zones is 64 in the engine itself, but if I am not mistaken, one of the zones is reserved, since it pretty much represents the solid space itself, so you can actually only use 63... but I am not entirely sure.
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

We have that zone 0 which is still a zone - a test "fell out of world" type zone...
Doesn't matter... a good level should stay for safety under 60 and you won't have issues, we don't have to work at boundaries. Player is getting tired of running 2 hours anyway, let's be serious a bit... it's a shooter game after all not a runner game as initial idea.
nogardilaref
Masterful
Personal rank: ⚋⚊⚌☰⚞⌖⚟☰⚌⚊⚋

Post by nogardilaref »

Yeah, I agree.
Although there are very legit use-cases where the number of zones can become an issue, such as having many small water zones. With this limit it means that you have to make your BSP more complex in order to potentially connect zones which could otherwise be independent and clean BSP wise (that is if an actual detailed map is done in the first place, rather than room after room).

But still yeah, one should be aware of these and go nowhere near 60 zones, otherwise it's very easy to mess it up into going over these 63 very easily.
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

To no forget... when I was working on that Sk_Godz map I was tracking build process for leaks and funky things. Viewport (I'm using ONE not Four) from time to time I switch to Portal View and I track building result where are shown the number of zones...
[attachment=0]Timed_check.PNG[/attachment]
It's wise to see this from time to time before falling into a bad build. How many mappers are interested about these things ? Not all of them for sure. Here is a nasty load and ugly miss-aligned - hard to say if it still won't be messed up.
Attachments
Timed_check.PNG