Error While adding a mover to a huge map.

Tutorials and discussions about Mapping - Introduce your own ones!
Haminmypants
Novice

Error While adding a mover to a huge map.

Post by Haminmypants »

Sup.

I made this mover, wow etc:

It works like a dream in a test map. But when I move the whole thing into a much much bigger map im workin on, I can build geos, but not lights-- I get an error:

I get the same/similar error when I try to playtest the map through the editor. Another person thought it might have to do with lights but I deletedall the new lights with no difference. only deleting the new mover fixes the issue on the destination map.

:help: :help: :help: :help: :help: :help: :help: :help: :help:
Higor
Godlike

Re: Error While adding a mover to a huge map.

Post by Higor »

The game internally does a halfassed addition of the mover's polygons to the map's BSP tree.
And before you know it you'll hit an engine limit.
Simplify the mover or give up.
papercoffee
Godlike
Personal rank: coffee addicted !!!

Post by papercoffee »

Hi ...I was that "another person".
Wow you didn't show that mover at the Epic forum. That's some big ass mover... is there a map inside? I mean a whole playable area?? That's definitively to much vertices. What does your remaining map look like?
Higor wrote:you'll hit an engine limit.
First I thought he could have used too many lights ...but that mover explains it.
Terraniux
Masterful
Personal rank: Banished member

Post by Terraniux »

Wow that is biggest and complex mover I've seen lol. What Higor said. :agree1:
This member can only post when permitted.
Haminmypants
Novice

Post by Haminmypants »

Higor wrote:The game internally does a halfassed addition of the mover's polygons to the map's BSP tree.
And before you know it you'll hit an engine limit.
Simplify the mover or give up.
*dies*

papercoffee wrote:Hi ...I was that "another person".
Wow you didn't show that mover at the Epic forum. That's some big ass mover... is there a map inside? I mean a whole playable area?? That's definitively to much vertices. What does your remaining map look like?
Yep, there's a whole playable area in there. This is hardly the first time I've successfully managed something like this. it's a pretty great way to simulate a wobbling/shaking tower or rising/falling water or lava. Very VERY few other maps, if any, appear to have done this.

As for the rest of the map, I literally couldn't sum it up in 2 dozen screenshots (there's almost 30 different individual areas, not including checkpoints and the main hub), it's been a wip for a while. It's also super top secret until release.

I'm probably gonna redo this mover thing, it leaves alot to be desired in terms of design anyway. Thanks peeps.
makemeunreal
Masterful

Post by makemeunreal »

Could you please link the maps you mentioned above? The ones with such complex mover actions? :o

:gj: :highfive:
Haminmypants
Novice

Post by Haminmypants »

makemeunreal wrote:Could you please link the maps you mentioned above? The ones with such complex mover actions? :o

:gj: :highfive:
Not gonna lie, I've never seen another one do this. I came up with this idea, and it's very convincing in-game.

You gotta let me know if you do find one yourself though.

-Merged-

BY THE WAY!

Is there any way to make an elevator mover also act like an attach mover? This is important for making my teleporters stay in the right spots.

Or if there's a way to make an attach mover also behave like an elevator mover.

-merged by papercoffee-
Please avoid double posts.
Barbie
Godlike

Post by Barbie »

Haminmypants wrote:Is there any way to make an elevator mover also act like an attach mover?
Probably the AttachTag will help you.
"Multiple exclamation marks," he went on, shaking his head, "are a sure sign of a diseased mind." --Terry Pratchett
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

Haminmypants wrote: it's a pretty great way to simulate a wobbling/shaking tower or rising/falling water or lava. Very VERY few other maps, if any, appear to have done this.
It's not a "great way" at all, that's why there are "very few maps". I've simulated a train moving and a train stop with Texture Pan speed modifiers - even using some propertyChanger is doable some cute task, without to reach at render limits, and by toying with player's "shakeview" making movement to look very real. To summarize there is not needed any mover here for "simulation".
I'm also gonna mention that a custom skyBox might go attached to some tiny invisible mover-platform which can be triggered automated and then everything will look like it's moving in space. In UT you need to learn how to lie the player-view rather than crashing game.
Haminmypants
Novice

Post by Haminmypants »

Barbie wrote:
Haminmypants wrote:Is there any way to make an elevator mover also act like an attach mover?
Probably the AttachTag will help you.
I've never had any luck with making that one work, and I'll have to be able to attach a number of different actors at once.

I just tried copying the attach mover code and pasting it into the elevator mover code, forming a subclass of elevator mover under MyLevel. But how do I make a brush using this subclass? It does not appear in the right click menu:

-Merged-
sektor2111 wrote:
Haminmypants wrote: it's a pretty great way to simulate a wobbling/shaking tower or rising/falling water or lava. Very VERY few other maps, if any, appear to have done this.
It's not a "great way" at all, that's why there are "very few maps". I've simulated a train moving and a train stop with Texture Pan speed modifiers - even using some propertyChanger is doable some cute task, without to reach at render limits, and by toying with player's "shakeview" making movement to look very real. To summarize there is not needed any mover here for "simulation".
I'm also gonna mention that a custom skyBox might go attached to some tiny invisible mover-platform which can be triggered automated and then everything will look like it's moving in space. In UT you need to learn how to lie the player-view rather than crashing game.
You've got some valid points there, but view-shaking such as with that earthquake actor is boring. It's alot more wild to see the map rotate so that some surfaces are too steep to stand on. Just now I imagined a space ship themed map that rocks side to side, and every once in a while the floor tips so that you slide all the way to one side of a map which could be an open bay-door that drops you to your death out into cold space. The only way to avoid falling out is to catch yourself on a pillar etc. Such a map would never be bot friendly, but it's neat!

As for rising water, I don't think there's any other way to accomplish this. You could have a sheet mover rise up, with an attached trigger to deal damage if we're talking about slime or lava, but you still cant swim in it. And there is no way that I am aware of in which a mover can define the regions of a zone.
Last edited by papercoffee on Fri Dec 22, 2017 10:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: double post
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

Barbie wrote:Probably the AttachTag will help you.
Probably bStatic actors will not help without mention troubles figured by yourself in On-Line game-play at these screwed actors to gain them movable when they are not movable by default. Any "nice" advice ?

When Higor ( pretty much a high level developer/coder ) has recommended something but he is ignored, I wish to all of you "Good Luck" because I'm not going to reply anything here.
Haminmypants wrote:As for rising water, I don't think there's any other way to accomplish this.
A dude with ID Thunderbolt (mapper/modder) was using TriggeredWaterZone (little corrections are recommended there) and which is pretty much operational - like I said, there is not needed any Mover like that, and you can have Bot Support and Neat in the same time.

PS: Well said, PaperCoffee, this is indeed a big_ASS mover, after looking at error shown in first post, it's entertaining. There is an UT4 for more load, btw.
Last edited by sektor2111 on Fri Dec 22, 2017 9:32 pm, edited 3 times in total.
fudgonaut
Adept
Personal rank: Easy Target

Post by fudgonaut »

Haminmypants wrote:I imagined a space ship themed map that rocks side to side
I contemplated something similar, but assumed the engine couldn't really handle it. I'm also far too new at mapping to start attempting things like this.

Kudos for you for thinking outside the brush. I know your big mover is part of something super-secret until release (not sure why, exactly), but I hope you can pull it off - I'd love to see it in action.
papercoffee
Godlike
Personal rank: coffee addicted !!!

Post by papercoffee »

@Haminmypants
I merged now the second time your posts... please refrain from any more double posting.
We have an EDIT button in the right corner of our posts. Please use it

fudgonaut wrote:Kudos for you for thinking outside the brush.
Well, experimenting is of course worthy of support... but here he had hit a hard limit.
Now he has to reconsider his project.

Maybe someone could link to a page with all Engine limits?
JackGriffin
Godlike
Personal rank: -Retired-

Post by JackGriffin »

You are working in the wrong engine. It's going to be nothing but heartache and aggravation for you unless you deeply scale back your ambitions. I admire the effort though. You put some real work into that.
So long, and thanks for all the fish
Red_Fist
Godlike

Post by Red_Fist »

Wow the mover picture was worth making and viewing the thread. :shock:
Binary Space Partitioning