BSP holes

Tutorials and discussions about Mapping - Introduce your own ones!
EvilGrins
Godlike
Personal rank: God of Fudge

BSP holes

Post by EvilGrins »

Going from the UT log file, I'm told a map has a hole in it.

How do I find where the hole is?

Gotta be a better way than walking around on everything.
http://unreal-games.livejournal.com/
medor wrote:Replace Skaarj with EvilGrins :mrgreen:
Smilies · viewtopic.php?f=8&t=13758
Red_Fist
Godlike

Re: BSP holes

Post by Red_Fist »

Use zone view in the editor. pan around , angle views, from different directions.
Binary Space Partitioning
EvilGrins
Godlike

Post by EvilGrins »

Red_Fist wrote:Use zone view in the editor. pan around , angle views, from different directions.
I'll give that a try, though it's looking like the hole isn't on the ground.

Excerpt:
ScriptWarning: DarkReaver MH-KillThemAll[EG].DarkReaver2 (Function Botpack.Bot.Roaming.PickDestination:0625) Accessed None
ScriptWarning: DarkReaver MH-KillThemAll[EG].DarkReaver2 (Function Botpack.Bot.Roaming.PickDestination:08C6) Accessed None
Log: SlaveBot7 fell out of the world!
ScriptWarning: Pinata MH-KillThemAll[EG].Pinata0 (Function Pinata.Pinata.ScoreKill:0130) Accessed None
ScriptWarning: MonsterHunt MH-KillThemAll[EG].MonsterHunt0 (Function Botpack.TeamGamePlus.ScoreKill:010B) Accessed array out of bounds (255/4)
ScriptWarning: MonsterHunt MH-KillThemAll[EG].MonsterHunt0 (Function Botpack.TeamGamePlus.ScoreKill:01F0) Accessed None
ScriptWarning: MonsterHunt MH-KillThemAll[EG].MonsterHunt0 (Function MonsterHunt.MonsterHunt.Killed:004B) Accessed None
Log: ArchonGun22 fell out of the world!
Log: SniperRifle32 fell out of the world!
Log: ReaverStinger28 fell out of the world!
Log: minigun32 fell out of the world!
Log: ripper25 fell out of the world!
Log: LastResort24 fell out of the world!
Log: enforcer24 fell out of the world!
ScriptWarning: DarkReaver MH-KillThemAll[EG].DarkReaver2 (Function Botpack.Bot.Roaming.PickDestination:01CA) Accessed None
ScriptWarning: DarkReaver MH-KillThemAll[EG].DarkReaver2 (Function Botpack.Bot.Roaming.PickDestination:0625) Accessed None
ScriptWarning: DarkReaver MH-KillThemAll[EG].DarkReaver2 (Function Botpack.Bot.Roaming.PickDestination:08C6) Accessed None
ScriptWarning: DarkReaver MH-KillThemAll[EG].DarkReaver2 (Function Botpack.Bot.Roaming.HandleHelpMessageFrom:001A) Accessed None

The "fell out of the world" is the indicator there's a hole (I've been told) and I think I've narrowed it down to 4 rooms given the monsters listed around those events... but the falling seems to be happening after those players were killed, and their weapons dropped. Monsters in those areas literally rip players apart, splatting their gibs all over and flinging their weapons far.

Even panning around, not sure where of all to look. Was kinda hoping for a "click this button and the hole is found" magical option.

"Dark Reavers" listed are due to my running the =Unleash the Reavers= mutator, wanted to see how those super-bots handled the map.
OjitroC
Godlike

Post by OjitroC »

I had a look in the editor but couldn't spot anything (thought I had but not).

PS Did you know that the boxes between rooms aren't solid and you can shoot through them?
EvilGrins
Godlike

Post by EvilGrins »

OjitroC wrote:PS Did you know that the boxes between rooms aren't solid and you can shoot through them?
I'll double check, but I don't think that's right. I've tried shooting walls with the nukes, mostly in boredom while in God Mode, and nothing in the next room got killed.
Red_Fist
Godlike

Post by Red_Fist »

A BSP hole is not the complaint of "falling out of world" that is the collision of the object, I think raise the bad ones off the ground more.

Get the show collision of the actors to see the red line for collision, to see actors that have no collision you can temporarily set the collision on an actor just to see it, then set it back. ,right click on the editor window right above the viewport to see the "show collision" (just in case you didn't know that.) or wait "radii view" not collision.
Binary Space Partitioning
OjitroC
Godlike

Post by OjitroC »

EvilGrins wrote: I've tried shooting walls with the nukes, mostly in boredom while in God Mode, and nothing in the next room got killed.
No, not the walls - the large wooden boxes in the doorway of each room. Sektor2111's MHHud can 'see' through these and indicate what's on the other side and I can shoot and kill things through the boxes - killed several Muton that way.

It may be that the 'falling out of the world' only happens on the newer version you're testing and not on the download pre-pathed version.
Red_Fist wrote:A BSP hole is not the complaint of "falling out of world" that is the collision of the object, I think raise the bad ones off the ground more..
It's bots falling out of the world with their weapons - the PlayerStarts and the weapons placed in the first spawn room look fine, the former are well above the floor and the collisions of the latter are OK as well
EvilGrins
Godlike

Post by EvilGrins »

OjitroC wrote:No, not the walls - the large wooden boxes in the doorway of each room.
Oh, I knew about that. That's no big deal.

It's not so much shoot through them as around them, there's a space on either side. If you shoot "through" the boxes enough they break, like they're supposed to.