Skybox for UT99 Question

Tutorials and discussions about Mapping - Introduce your own ones!
gh0st

Skybox for UT99 Question

Post by gh0st »

Hello,

I am working on re-texturing some old maps and I am trying to figure out how the author configured the Cylindrical Skybox as it looks like he has seamless texture (attached) but when I try to add a custom texture it doesn't align right (tried Scaling up to 16x, tried panning left and right) but you can still tell there are seams in the skybox. The texture he used is genfluid.sky.Skytst8b it is only 1 texture yet he was able to make it look seemless around the brush. Any tips would be appreciated, thanks.
Skybox Pic
Skybox Pic
Seam
Seam
Terraniux
Masterful
Personal rank: Banished member

Re: Skybox for UT99 Question

Post by Terraniux »

The brush is cylindrical brush with sixteen sides. But it seems intersected with another forum of brush, the four other top lines.
The only way to reproduce this problem, as I created the same brush myself, is to align the textures manually. Takes a little effort but solves your problem.

edit: start from 1 suface and go in 1 direction : I suggest go from left to right, align , left to right, align, left to right to right, align.

There maybe a easier solution but this depends entirely on the brush.

I reproduced the shape and picture withing 3 minutes. :thuup: on 4x and 8x.
Attachments
seam
seam
This member can only post when permitted.
Red_Fist
Godlike

Post by Red_Fist »

Has to be done mathematically. unless the brush matches up with 16 32 64 128 256 512 etc etc.
Binary Space Partitioning
papercoffee
Godlike
Personal rank: coffee addicted !!!

Post by papercoffee »

Well there are some tricks.
Turn the brush 90° to each side and align it to the floor. But you still need to fine tune it manually.
Use the advance UEd in Unreal 277 which has a alignment tool for the X and Y axes.
Or, like Red_Fist mentioned ...it has to be done mathematical. What's the width of each face of the cylindrical brush.

But I'm certain that the author used an external program to build and texture this shape.