Sounds + messages cut out after killing custom scriptedpawn

Tutorials and discussions about Mapping - Introduce your own ones!
Envarion
Novice

Sounds + messages cut out after killing custom scriptedpawn

Post by Envarion »

Hey all,

I've been working on a MH map project of mine and ran into an issue with using a custom enemy subclass.
I went ahead and created a custom Krall subclass (named KrallBehemoth) packaged under MyLevel. Everything works fine and great as intended, but with one exception: After killing just one KrallBehemoth, the sound of all weapon fire becomes muted, and all messages (such as those broadcasted by a specialevent, monsterevent or the chatbox) no longer appear. Even if you are killed, this effect appears to persist for the remainder of the game. The monster's shadow is also left behind after it is killed.

The custom 'KrallBehemoth' is a subclass of 'KrallElite' with no added script, only the default properties were modified.

Similarly in the past I had tried making a custom subclass of skaarjtrooper with the same undesirable symptom.

Any thoughts as to what might be wrong? I'm basically self-taught when it comes to making subclasses, so I could be missing something.
My steps:
Spoiler
1. Open map
2. Open the Actors menu
3. Navigate to the class 'KrallElite' and then select it
4. Right click > New
5. Package: MyLevel, Name: KrallBehemoth > OK
6. Open 'Default Properties...' of the new class and change its settings as desired: (new projectile, changed draw scale, custom skin, altered movement characteristics etc.
7. Full Rebuild and Save

Note that whether I use a native projectile class or a custom projectile class, makes no difference.

If necessary, I can share the map to aid in troubleshooting. Thanks!
Feralidragon
Godlike
Personal rank: Work In Progress

Re: Sounds + messages cut out after killing custom scriptedp

Post by Feralidragon »

Did you compile the new class?

Whenever you create a new subclass in the editor, you need to hit "Compile changed scripts" (one of the small buttons in the script view, the tooltip when you hover them should give the button away), and only after that it is safe to change its defaults, use it in the map and save it.
Otherwise, weird things may happen.
Barbie
Godlike

Post by Barbie »

I noticed the same effect in map "MH-HaveFunBuddy2": no chat was possible, team translocator did not work, some sounds were not played. After I compiled the custom pawns (also without code except the class definition) everything was ok.

PS: I blocked your Avatar pic - I cannot stand moving or blinking elements on a web page. :barf:
"Multiple exclamation marks," he went on, shaking his head, "are a sure sign of a diseased mind." --Terry Pratchett
papercoffee
Godlike
Personal rank: coffee addicted !!!

Post by papercoffee »

Barbie wrote: PS: I blocked your Avatar pic - I cannot stand moving or blinking elements on a web page. :barf:
Here the same. I like blue ...but this animation was too frenetic for me.
Envarion
Novice

Post by Envarion »

Thanks for the input guys!

I can now say with absolute certainty that my avatar has been marginally decrappified. Someday I might do something creative and less interim about it.

As for the scripting troubles:
I started by attempting to compile the existing class I had already made, no fix there. Then I went on to delete all instances of my KrallBehemoth, save the map, exit and reopen the editor, recreate the KrallBehemoth subclass, compiled changed scripts, changed defaults, and hoped for the best.

Unfortunately, the extra step didn't seem to fix the issue. :(

Something that might be noteworthy: This occured when I compiled the KrallBehemoth class. Not sure if it could be relevant to my problem.
Barbie
Godlike

Post by Barbie »

Your screenshot says that compiling was unsuccessful. That is because the source code of MonsterHunt.u was stripped. You can remove MonsterHunt elements; dependency of MonsterHunt.u will vanish after safe/reopen and then you can compile the code successfully.

Another option is you send the map to sektor2111 or me for example, have it compiled and sent back.

Third option is to compile your monster in a separate map and merge it to your existing one.

PS: you can easily add pictures to your post; there is no need for external file hosting.
"Multiple exclamation marks," he went on, shaking his head, "are a sure sign of a diseased mind." --Terry Pratchett
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

I guess even if I will describe another 100 times problems and solutions for compiling MyLevel or mods for MonsterHunt nobody is reading or searching information - and information is buried in forum anyway not that readable. All these are happening because of that genius Kenneth Watson aka Shrimp. He did not only stripped MH, but he was slapping package that way for being impossible any compilation with original MonsterHunt.u file loaded. Good luck then to all of you compiling "Monsters"...
Ironically, Shrimp was hoping to see "new monsters" but delivering SHIT not a package that can be used as dependent file. So... do compile monsters if you can - Yeah, Shrimp, we are grateful for your "packages" go fuck your packages and... :barf: .

/ Redundant Posting ON
1 - USE MonsterHunt.u file for coders (provided by Kelly Gopostal JackGriffin - or by yourself from original source-code) if you want such advanced MH mapping - NOT DESCRIBED in MH mapping tutorials;
2 - Do Not use any MH file - just an empty cube for creating MyLevel - after that, open your map (do not close editor) - MyLevel is there usable if it was previously compiled in that empty cube used as a temporary environment and add actors compiled in your map. When your normal map is saved, actors used are saved too... actors which are not added or mentioned in certain properties won't exist in saved map, but those ones used, placed in map are saved at once with map;
/ Redundant Posting OFF
If you get the point how do these work, everything will be easy as a pie.
Red_Fist
Godlike

Post by Red_Fist »

"""""MyLevel is there usable if it was previously compiled in that empty cube used as a temporary environment and add actors compiled in your map. When your normal map is saved, actors used are saved too... actors which are not added or mentioned in certain properties won't exist in saved map, but those ones used, placed in map are saved at once with map;
"""""

Is what I did, then Barbie said all he had to do was compile my new actors and they worked, but I DID compile them without code complaining. AND I see no reason for my new actors to not work.

I had them all nicely tucked into myLevel, in a cube map, they seemed to work for me but them Barbie had problems, only until he said "all I had to do was compile them" sooooooooooooo :wth: :noidea
Binary Space Partitioning
Envarion
Novice

Post by Envarion »

So essentially if a single separate, script cannot be compiled, does that mean none of the new/modified scripts can be compiled? IOW: Red bar = Nothing was compiled?
Barbie wrote:Another option is you send the map to sektor2111 or me for example, have it compiled and sent back.
I'll definitely take you up on that offer, I've sent a PM your way. I forgot to mention that the only monsterhunt.u dependency might be the selected gameinfo in the level properties menu.
Red_Fist wrote:"""""MyLevel is there usable if it was previously compiled in that empty cube used as a temporary environment and add actors compiled in your map. When your normal map is saved, actors used are saved too... actors which are not added or mentioned in certain properties won't exist in saved map, but those ones used, placed in map are saved at once with map;
"""""

Is what I did, then Barbie said all he had to do was compile my new actors and they worked, but I DID compile them without code complaining. AND I see no reason for my new actors to not work.

I had them all nicely tucked into myLevel, in a cube map, they seemed to work for me but them Barbie had problems, only until he said "all I had to do was compile them" sooooooooooooo :wth: :noidea
Odd. Does anyone here know of a real solid tutorial on how to do this? I didn't happen to find anything specific on unrealwiki.
Red_Fist
Godlike

Post by Red_Fist »

Before you get confused, remove monsterhunt.u from the ini file , then make a new actor with the package "MyLevel" in a normal map, no gametype.

If you enter the monsterhunt.u back in the ini, open your box map first, then open the monsterhunt map, then just select the new pawn or actor from the actor browser,

But in your non MH boxmap, click to "compile changed" and you won't see the error. and then place it in the map after you changed the defaults you want, then save the box map.
That red line tells you what is wrong, say you typed, ANY syntax error while coding, it will still show you it can't be compiled, but MH , the guy ruined it with MH loaded.
Binary Space Partitioning
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

Envarion wrote: Does anyone here know of a real solid tutorial on how to do this? I didn't happen to find anything specific on unrealwiki.
Like I said NO TUTORIAL is explaining these ways of MH deal even if I have requested FULL TUTORIALS written not How to draw cubes and to setup action (me, mapper, I set things how I want anyway), but everyone was busy with fantasies rather than useful tech-torials for MH - this is the cave of MonsterHunt. Community exactly here has problems, invalid explanations toward MyLeveling tricks and even FALSE information spread at random - like those with semi-solid myths... but that's another story.

@RedFist - I don't know why your MyLevel did not work but I assure you that I used NavigationPoints MyLeveled previously and pawns and all that stuff, and... THEY do work if are COMPILED earlier and classes/actors added without messing up with script a second time. You could see my decos from BattlingLottery and all those things - THEY DO WORK it's all I have to say...
Just open a map with Mylevel stuff then whatever second main MH map and put there actors from MyLevel - DO NOT TOUCH CODE.
If you do still have issues just use that damn package for coders - that simple. Look for it over forum or contact Jack Griffin for that, or use original source-code to do a clean package with UCC.

The third method: create a standalone package, an U file compiled, then Open map, Open package and just add monsters/actors from package without to mess with scripts in Editor. If you don't want a new file then you can use importing directives for an already compiled thing - I did this with a fixed BPak package:

Code: Select all

obj load file=MyCustomMonsters.u package=MyLevel
Probably some quotes are need I don't keep this in memory because I can deal with it ON FLY, where MyCustomMonsters.u is a package created with UMake - UCC out of Editor. This way doesn't fail.
Envarion
Novice

Post by Envarion »

Whoops, I completely overlooked your first post there sektor! Apologies.

Re 1: Wouldn't using a different monsterhunt.u package result in a file mismatch conflict when joining servers? Or could you swap between them without issues depending on whether you're dev'ing or playing?
Re 2: The second idea of doing all the mylevelling in a separate cube map sounds like the best option for me. Gonna try it when I have a chance, but my break is quickly coming to an end.

Barbie kindly compiled the map for me and everything is working as it should. With the information provided in this thread I think I should be able to get things working on my own. Huge thanks for the help everybody. You people rock! :D