A few questions regarding special stuff in the Editor

Tutorials and discussions about Mapping - Introduce your own ones!

A few questions regarding special stuff in the Editor

Postby papercoffee » Fri Aug 31, 2018 12:15 am

Ok ...I'm working on a experimental map and want to implement a few unusual (for me at least) things.

The player should slide instead of walk:
I tried it with the ground friction set to -14 ...but the player still get slowed down very hard when ever a face of a brush isn't in the same alignment as the former. A slight flattened angle and you get stuck instead of sliding over it.
When I tested this friction I noticed that the player still creates stepping noises ...it would be cool if I could change this into some kind of sliding noise.

The player should not receive any fall damage:
I know this was made before ...but I can't remember how.
I'll search tomorrow the solution in the wiki (I'm tired right now :P and go to sleep). But if someone in the meanwhile can nudge me into the right direction, that would be really nice ;)

Ok I'm off. Good Night.

Spoiler: show
If you are interested ... I work on a special DM map.
I just say, Down-Hill :mrgreen:
User avatar
papercoffee
Site Staff
 
Posts: 8842
Joined: Wed Jul 15, 2009 11:36 am
Location: Cologne, the city with the big cathedral.
Personal rank: coffee addicted !!!

Re: A few questions regarding special stuff in the Editor

Postby Red_Fist » Fri Aug 31, 2018 12:36 am

I think you have to use a combination of things, gravity , water friction, etc etc
Binary Space Partitioning
Red_Fist
Godlike
 
Posts: 1381
Joined: Sun Oct 05, 2008 3:31 am

Re: A few questions regarding special stuff in the Editor

Postby SilverSound » Fri Aug 31, 2018 12:43 am

Sounds like it might be a buggy nightmare. I wish you luck on this map.
I think I might have an idea what your map might be.
"Woah what?! I wish I was recording that...."
User avatar
SilverSound
Adept
 
Posts: 281
Joined: Fri Nov 06, 2015 10:12 am
Location: St. Cloud, Florida
Personal rank: Curious

Re: A few questions regarding special stuff in the Editor

Postby Chamberly » Fri Aug 31, 2018 6:17 am

If you are looking to make the player slide around in the map, the best map come to my mind is the CTF-BT-IceRace(Road1)
Download it from I4g and look at the map's zone property. http://www.i4games.eu/maps/CTF-BT-IceRa ... l#comments

My best guess.

To get a faster slide run, hold duck or walk and you'll go faster! :loool:
Warning: Wall glitches are common.
Image
Image
irc.globalgamers.net #uscript
http://irc.lc/globalgamers/uscript
Image
User avatar
Chamberly
Godlike
 
Posts: 1625
Joined: Sat Sep 17, 2011 4:32 pm
Location: TN, USA
Personal rank: Dame. Vandora

Re: A few questions regarding special stuff in the Editor

Postby UnrealGGecko » Fri Aug 31, 2018 8:51 am

For problem #2, JackGriffin made me something that was similar, I was working on a Pop Them Friggin Balloons map and asked if there was a way to avoid fall damage if instead of falling off the map you would get teleported to the top. And he made that script. I'll try to find it in a few days. On a vacation right now :P
"NHL Rock The Rink" (PS1) announcer wrote:...And there are no stunt doubles in this game, folks!

My work for UT99: Counter-Strike VP, MaleOne+ & FemaleOne+ voicepacks (NEW!), DM-XC-NaliTreeV2 (from the ut99.org Xmas Contest mappack), my small spec of files at Google Drive

List of console converted maps, models & more!
User avatar
UnrealGGecko
Site Staff
 
Posts: 2055
Joined: Wed Feb 01, 2012 11:26 am
Location: Kaunas, Lithuania
Personal rank: GEx the Gecko

Re: A few questions regarding special stuff in the Editor

Postby papercoffee » Fri Aug 31, 2018 2:36 pm

UnrealGGecko wrote:For problem #2, JackGriffin made me something that was similar, I was working on a Pop Them Friggin Balloons map and asked if there was a way to avoid fall damage if instead of falling off the map you would get teleported to the top. And he made that script. I'll try to find it in a few days. On a vacation right now :P

Interesting.

Chamberly wrote:If you are looking to make the player slide around in the map, the best map come to my mind is the CTF-BT-IceRace(Road1)
Download it from I4g and look at the map's zone property. http://www.i4games.eu/maps/CTF-BT-IceRa ... l#comments

My best guess.

To get a faster slide run, hold duck or walk and you'll go faster! :loool:
Warning: Wall glitches are common.

The sliding via lower ground friction is already implemented but this works only on flat surfaces ...if the player hit a ramp is he getting slowed down from 100 to zero in an instant. And sometimes does he receives even a huge amount of damage.
User avatar
papercoffee
Site Staff
 
Posts: 8842
Joined: Wed Jul 15, 2009 11:36 am
Location: Cologne, the city with the big cathedral.
Personal rank: coffee addicted !!!

Re: A few questions regarding special stuff in the Editor

Postby Red_Fist » Fri Aug 31, 2018 4:36 pm

Try negative numbers in zone settings. like friction -16 or water friction see what happens
Binary Space Partitioning
Red_Fist
Godlike
 
Posts: 1381
Joined: Sun Oct 05, 2008 3:31 am

Re: A few questions regarding special stuff in the Editor

Postby papercoffee » Fri Aug 31, 2018 5:08 pm

Red_Fist wrote:Try negative numbers in zone settings. like friction -16 or water friction see what happens
papercoffee wrote:I tried it with the ground friction set to -14 ...but the player still get slowed down very hard when ever a face of a brush isn't in the same alignment as the former. A slight flattened angle and you get stuck instead of sliding over it.
papercoffee wrote:The sliding via lower ground friction is already implemented but this works only on flat surfaces ...if the player hit a ramp is he getting slowed down from 100 to zero in an instant. And sometimes does he receives even a huge amount of damage.
Already did ;)
User avatar
papercoffee
Site Staff
 
Posts: 8842
Joined: Wed Jul 15, 2009 11:36 am
Location: Cologne, the city with the big cathedral.
Personal rank: coffee addicted !!!

Re: A few questions regarding special stuff in the Editor

Postby ItsYaBoiLoque » Fri Aug 31, 2018 6:04 pm

Getting fall damage dealt with is super simple via mutator, not sure how to apply it within the map itself though, however, something you'll notice with all the No Fall Damage mutators is that though you won't take any damage, any armor you have will still take it, the only time I have seen a true no damage code work is when I subclassed the death match gameplay and modified it's damage handling bits.
User avatar
ItsYaBoiLoque
Novice
 
Posts: 20
Joined: Fri May 25, 2018 7:37 pm
Personal rank: PhD in Fraggin' Ya!

Re: A few questions regarding special stuff in the Editor

Postby Feralidragon » Fri Aug 31, 2018 9:04 pm

ItsYaBoiLoque wrote:Getting fall damage dealt with is super simple via mutator, not sure how to apply it within the map itself though, however, something you'll notice with all the No Fall Damage mutators is that though you won't take any damage, any armor you have will still take it, the only time I have seen a true no damage code work is when I subclassed the death match gameplay and modified it's damage handling bits.

That can be done through an actor in the map itself: this actor could add that kind of mutator, it's not hard.
User avatar
Feralidragon
Godlike
 
Posts: 4955
Joined: Wed Feb 27, 2008 6:24 pm
Location: Liandri
Personal rank: Work In Progress

Re: A few questions regarding special stuff in the Editor

Postby PrinceOfFunky » Fri Aug 31, 2018 10:19 pm

The test map I'm attaching contains a way to slide over a surface(ZoneInfo>GroundZoneFriction < 0) and two ways to get no damage when falling(left for Kicker, right for ZoneInfo>ZoneTerminalVelocity 500).
Attachments
surface_sliding_and_no_fall_damage.unr
(13.8 KiB) Downloaded 18 times
Image
User avatar
PrinceOfFunky
Inhuman
 
Posts: 932
Joined: Mon Aug 31, 2015 10:31 pm

Re: A few questions regarding special stuff in the Editor

Postby papercoffee » Sat Sep 01, 2018 12:23 am

Thanks, but you still don't get it.
Think about Down Hill Skying in some kind of half-pipe track. This track has curves and ups and downs ...I need something that won't slowdown the player (only if the player wants it) but avoids fall damage. And the player have to skate over a surface which isn't flat... but the problem is, every face of a brush which is in a different angle stops the player instantly.
User avatar
papercoffee
Site Staff
 
Posts: 8842
Joined: Wed Jul 15, 2009 11:36 am
Location: Cologne, the city with the big cathedral.
Personal rank: coffee addicted !!!

Re: A few questions regarding special stuff in the Editor

Postby PrinceOfFunky » Sat Sep 01, 2018 3:43 am

papercoffee wrote:the player have to skate over a surface which isn't flat... but the problem is, every face of a brush which is in a different angle stops the player instantly.

If the surface hasn't too high bumps you can use a normalmap(bumpmap).
The hoverboard project of Higor slides even on non-flat surfaces if I remember good.
Image
User avatar
PrinceOfFunky
Inhuman
 
Posts: 932
Joined: Mon Aug 31, 2015 10:31 pm

Re: A few questions regarding special stuff in the Editor

Postby papercoffee » Sat Sep 01, 2018 2:31 pm

Hoverboard?! Hmmmmm... have to look into it. is it bound to the XC-Engine?
User avatar
papercoffee
Site Staff
 
Posts: 8842
Joined: Wed Jul 15, 2009 11:36 am
Location: Cologne, the city with the big cathedral.
Personal rank: coffee addicted !!!

Re: A few questions regarding special stuff in the Editor

Postby PrinceOfFunky » Sat Sep 01, 2018 7:11 pm

papercoffee wrote:Hoverboard?! Hmmmmm... have to look into it. is it bound to the XC-Engine?

Here's the Hoverboard.
Image
User avatar
PrinceOfFunky
Inhuman
 
Posts: 932
Joined: Mon Aug 31, 2015 10:31 pm

Next

Return to Mapping

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests

cron