A few questions regarding special stuff in the Editor

Tutorials and discussions about Mapping - Introduce your own ones!
papercoffee
Godlike
Personal rank: coffee addicted !!!

A few questions regarding special stuff in the Editor

Post by papercoffee »

Ok ...I'm working on a experimental map and want to implement a few unusual (for me at least) things.

The player should slide instead of walk:
I tried it with the ground friction set to -14 ...but the player still get slowed down very hard when ever a face of a brush isn't in the same alignment as the former. A slight flattened angle and you get stuck instead of sliding over it.
When I tested this friction I noticed that the player still creates stepping noises ...it would be cool if I could change this into some kind of sliding noise.

The player should not receive any fall damage:
I know this was made before ...but I can't remember how.
I'll search tomorrow the solution in the wiki (I'm tired right now :P and go to sleep). But if someone in the meanwhile can nudge me into the right direction, that would be really nice ;)

Ok I'm off. Good Night.
Spoiler
If you are interested ... I work on a special DM map.
I just say, Down-Hill :mrgreen:
Red_Fist
Godlike

Re: A few questions regarding special stuff in the Editor

Post by Red_Fist »

I think you have to use a combination of things, gravity , water friction, etc etc
Binary Space Partitioning
SilverSound
Adept
Personal rank: Curious

Post by SilverSound »

Sounds like it might be a buggy nightmare. I wish you luck on this map.
I think I might have an idea what your map might be.
"Woah what?! I wish I was recording that...."
Chamberly
Godlike
Personal rank: Dame. Vandora

Post by Chamberly »

If you are looking to make the player slide around in the map, the best map come to my mind is the CTF-BT-IceRace(Road1)
Download it from I4g and look at the map's zone property. http://www.i4games.eu/maps/CTF-BT-IceRa ... l#comments

My best guess.

To get a faster slide run, hold duck or walk and you'll go faster! :loool:
Warning: Wall glitches are common.
Image Edit: Why does my sig not work anymore?
UnrealGGecko
Godlike
Personal rank: GEx the Gecko

Post by UnrealGGecko »

For problem #2, JackGriffin made me something that was similar, I was working on a Pop Them Friggin Balloons map and asked if there was a way to avoid fall damage if instead of falling off the map you would get teleported to the top. And he made that script. I'll try to find it in a few days. On a vacation right now :P
papercoffee
Godlike

Post by papercoffee »

UnrealGGecko wrote:For problem #2, JackGriffin made me something that was similar, I was working on a Pop Them Friggin Balloons map and asked if there was a way to avoid fall damage if instead of falling off the map you would get teleported to the top. And he made that script. I'll try to find it in a few days. On a vacation right now :P
Interesting.
Chamberly wrote:If you are looking to make the player slide around in the map, the best map come to my mind is the CTF-BT-IceRace(Road1)
Download it from I4g and look at the map's zone property. http://www.i4games.eu/maps/CTF-BT-IceRa ... l#comments

My best guess.

To get a faster slide run, hold duck or walk and you'll go faster! :loool:
Warning: Wall glitches are common.
The sliding via lower ground friction is already implemented but this works only on flat surfaces ...if the player hit a ramp is he getting slowed down from 100 to zero in an instant. And sometimes does he receives even a huge amount of damage.
Red_Fist
Godlike

Post by Red_Fist »

Try negative numbers in zone settings. like friction -16 or water friction see what happens
Binary Space Partitioning
papercoffee
Godlike

Post by papercoffee »

Red_Fist wrote:Try negative numbers in zone settings. like friction -16 or water friction see what happens
papercoffee wrote:I tried it with the ground friction set to -14 ...but the player still get slowed down very hard when ever a face of a brush isn't in the same alignment as the former. A slight flattened angle and you get stuck instead of sliding over it.
papercoffee wrote:The sliding via lower ground friction is already implemented but this works only on flat surfaces ...if the player hit a ramp is he getting slowed down from 100 to zero in an instant. And sometimes does he receives even a huge amount of damage.
Already did ;)
ItsYaBoiLoque
Novice
Personal rank: PhD in Fraggin' Ya!

Post by ItsYaBoiLoque »

Getting fall damage dealt with is super simple via mutator, not sure how to apply it within the map itself though, however, something you'll notice with all the No Fall Damage mutators is that though you won't take any damage, any armor you have will still take it, the only time I have seen a true no damage code work is when I subclassed the death match gameplay and modified it's damage handling bits.
Feralidragon
Godlike
Personal rank: Work In Progress

Post by Feralidragon »

ItsYaBoiLoque wrote:Getting fall damage dealt with is super simple via mutator, not sure how to apply it within the map itself though, however, something you'll notice with all the No Fall Damage mutators is that though you won't take any damage, any armor you have will still take it, the only time I have seen a true no damage code work is when I subclassed the death match gameplay and modified it's damage handling bits.
That can be done through an actor in the map itself: this actor could add that kind of mutator, it's not hard.
PrinceOfFunky
Godlike

Post by PrinceOfFunky »

The test map I'm attaching contains a way to slide over a surface(ZoneInfo>GroundZoneFriction < 0) and two ways to get no damage when falling(left for Kicker, right for ZoneInfo>ZoneTerminalVelocity 500).
Attachments
surface_sliding_and_no_fall_damage.unr
(13.8 KiB) Downloaded 47 times
"Your stuff is known to be buggy and unfinished/not properly tested"
papercoffee
Godlike

Post by papercoffee »

Thanks, but you still don't get it.
Think about Down Hill Skying in some kind of half-pipe track. This track has curves and ups and downs ...I need something that won't slowdown the player (only if the player wants it) but avoids fall damage. And the player have to skate over a surface which isn't flat... but the problem is, every face of a brush which is in a different angle stops the player instantly.
PrinceOfFunky
Godlike

Post by PrinceOfFunky »

papercoffee wrote:the player have to skate over a surface which isn't flat... but the problem is, every face of a brush which is in a different angle stops the player instantly.
If the surface hasn't too high bumps you can use a normalmap(bumpmap).
The hoverboard project of Higor slides even on non-flat surfaces if I remember good.
papercoffee
Godlike

Post by papercoffee »

Hoverboard?! Hmmmmm... have to look into it. is it bound to the XC-Engine?
PrinceOfFunky
Godlike

Post by PrinceOfFunky »

papercoffee wrote:Hoverboard?! Hmmmmm... have to look into it. is it bound to the XC-Engine?
Here's the Hoverboard.