UnrealEd MRU issues

Tutorials and discussions about Mapping - Introduce your own ones!
Gustavo6046
Godlike
Personal rank: Resident Wallaby

Re: UnrealEd MRU issues

Post by Gustavo6046 »

Hey, maybe the folder name is case sensitive in UnrealTournament.ini (which is where folders like Music, Textures, etc. are listed)? Try renaming 'system' to 'System'.
"Everyone is an idea man. Everybody thinks they have a revolutionary new game concept that no one else has ever thought of. Having cool ideas will rarely get you anywhere in the games industry. You have to be able to implement your ideas or provide some useful skill. Never join a project whose idea man or leader has no obvious development skills. Never join a project that only has a web designer. You have your own ideas. Focus on them carefully and in small chunks and you will be able to develop cool projects."

Weapon of Destruction
Barbie
Godlike

Post by Barbie »

Case is a matter of the file system, not of applications.
Another thought @Hellkeeper: have you tried running UnrealEd.exe as Administrator?
"Multiple exclamation marks," he went on, shaking his head, "are a sure sign of a diseased mind." --Terry Pratchett
Hellkeeper
Inhuman
Personal rank: Soulless Automaton

Post by Hellkeeper »

Barbie wrote: Fri Jan 17, 2020 3:11 am Case is a matter of the file system, not of applications.
Another thought @Hellkeeper: have you tried running UnrealEd.exe as Administrator?
Yes I did and had no success that way either.
Gustavo6046 wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 8:59 pm Hey, maybe the folder name is case sensitive in UnrealTournament.ini (which is where folders like Music, Textures, etc. are listed)? Try renaming 'system' to 'System'.
The folders are created by the game and System always has an upper case, so it's already capitalized the right way.
You must construct additional pylons.
Tyr
Skilled

Post by Tyr »

I have the same problem since ages and had not fixed it yet. If someone finds out how to fix it, pls share.
Released:
papercoffee
Godlike
Personal rank: coffee addicted !!!

Post by papercoffee »

Did you delete (move away) the UnrealEd.exe and took a fresh copy of that exe?
Barbie
Godlike

Post by Barbie »

Start Regedit.exe and do a search for "UnrealEd". Maybe there is an entry that causes that program to be handled specially.
"Multiple exclamation marks," he went on, shaking his head, "are a sure sign of a diseased mind." --Terry Pratchett
Hellkeeper
Inhuman

Post by Hellkeeper »

papercoffee wrote: Fri Jan 17, 2020 4:21 pm Did you delete (move away) the UnrealEd.exe and took a fresh copy of that exe?
Yes.
Barbie wrote: Sat Jan 18, 2020 12:38 am Start Regedit.exe and do a search for "UnrealEd". Maybe there is an entry that causes that program to be handled specially.
All I have is an entry that reads D:\UnrealTournament\System\UnrealEd.exe.FriendlyAppName and contains UnrealEd.exe
Red_Fist
Godlike

Post by Red_Fist »

Do like I said above.

Make the whole thing with no users and use administrator as owner.
THEN you can delete "system" as one of the users for the complete directory tree.

Then ad back the users you want, under the security, trash all the inherited BS, screw the antivirus stuff, just strip away everything, add back what who want in the security properties of UT, or any other stupid thing with "permissions"

If you keep "system" as a user it won't let you do as you want, so take ownership first.

I wish they never put that crap in there, period. unless you work in a corporation or have hundreds of users, you ARE the god of the damn hard drive as far as I am concerned. :mad2:
Binary Space Partitioning
Hellkeeper
Inhuman

Post by Hellkeeper »

Red_Fist wrote: Sat Jan 18, 2020 9:31 pm Do like I said above.

Make the whole thing with no users and use administrator as owner.
THEN you can delete "system" as one of the users for the complete directory tree.

Then ad back the users you want, under the security, trash all the inherited BS, screw the antivirus stuff, just strip away everything, add back what who want in the security properties of UT, or any other stupid thing with "permissions"

If you keep "system" as a user it won't let you do as you want, so take ownership first.

I wish they never put that crap in there, period. unless you work in a corporation or have hundreds of users, you ARE the god of the damn hard drive as far as I am concerned. :mad2:
That didn't work either. I removed everything and added only my current user (myself) and gave me full permission on both UnrealEd.exe and UnrealEd.ini. It doesn't seem to be a problem of permission: Unrealed can be launched, moved, renamed, deleted, works and can read UnrealEd.exe, just not write in it.

PS: I just took a look at Editor.log and it remains blank, UnrealEd seems unable to write anything inside it either. The log works inside the editor but doesn't translate to the log file on the drive. The plot thickens!
OjitroC
Godlike

Post by OjitroC »

Hellkeeper wrote: Sun Jan 19, 2020 11:26 pm PS: I just took a look at Editor.log and it remains blank, UnrealEd seems unable to write anything inside it either. The log works inside the editor but doesn't translate to the log file on the drive. The plot thickens!

Just a thought - is the log file (and UEd.ini) being saved somewhere else on the drive other than in the Ut\System folder?
Hellkeeper
Inhuman

Post by Hellkeeper »

Not as far as I know. At least I know from procmon that only the .ini from the \System\ folder is being read by and receives writing attempts from UnrealEd.
Red_Fist
Godlike

Post by Red_Fist »

I have to add "administrator" then I add everyone, and ,user, and "administrators"

Give them all full access

and change the inheritance , it should go through all the files saying they are being removed.

Other than that, if it's permissions, there might be something that allows an exe to be told what it can or can't do from the machine.
Binary Space Partitioning
Barbie
Godlike

Post by Barbie »

Another idea: copy the complete UT installation (maybe without all maps, if the installation is too big) to another directory or even drive or stick with preferably FAT32 file system to see if the problem is copied also.
Tyr
Skilled

Post by Tyr »

Why the UnrealTournament.exe doesn't have any problems updating the respective .ini file but the UnrealEd.exe has problems? I don't get it.
Released:
rjmno1
Masterful
Personal rank: masterfull
Location: https://sites.google.com/view/unrealtou ... oject/home

Post by rjmno1 »

sometimes microsoft update take ownership of the files if windows 10 with '' system ownership '' is updating proces, take ownership of the system server admin into the filesystem of windows.
So when you are in a backup processes this ownership problem is a case to take care of it.
Make sure windows 10 is ready with updating after that the right administrator you did have in the first place will be active again.
It also has something todo where the files are located and wich section.
You can see the rights in user acounts from within windows.
If there is a acount called system, windows needs becoase he canot update the files and is for a short period of time server admin of your own computer.
After the update processes are complete he must delete his own ownership system admin so you will be the boss if your own hardrives and files again.
It also depens wich files windows update is busy with,if he is updating system files from the core of windows he must be system admin otherwise he has no rights to install the files.
Just a reminder.
unreal tournament 99
®
ImageImage
https://sites.google.com/view/unrealtou ... oject/home mine home ut99 website.
https://richardmoust105.blogspot.com/20 ... ef-in.html dutch blog page about ut99 settings.