The AWESOME Mapping Contest

Tutorials and discussions about Mapping - Introduce your own ones!
Gustavo6046
Godlike
Personal rank: Resident Wallaby

Re: The AWESOME Mapping Contest

Post by Gustavo6046 »

Can I draw the badge? I'm learning as an artist apprentice.

A few samples: (from the top to bottom: Periculus Novus cover art, made in GIMP; Water Watcher, made in Krita)
"Everyone is an idea man. Everybody thinks they have a revolutionary new game concept that no one else has ever thought of. Having cool ideas will rarely get you anywhere in the games industry. You have to be able to implement your ideas or provide some useful skill. Never join a project whose idea man or leader has no obvious development skills. Never join a project that only has a web designer. You have your own ideas. Focus on them carefully and in small chunks and you will be able to develop cool projects."

Weapon of Destruction
Hellkeeper
Inhuman
Personal rank: Soulless Automaton

Post by Hellkeeper »

You're learning 1312 things at once. I'm not surprised you're barely average in many.
The usual badges are much better than these, I'd say leave it to the pros.
You must construct additional pylons.
Gustavo6046
Godlike

Post by Gustavo6046 »

Not 1312. Among game things, I'm actually learning just level design, music, programming, graphic and audio design, and maybe game design. Not a lot :)

That's because I want to make a reasonable (albeit small) game all by myself (nobody'd help me with one, anyway). That's where I am aiming to go with all this knowledge.

Didn't you learn to cook, to fish, to use the toilet, to wash your hands, to brush your teeth, etc? Every human has a lot of things to learn in small spans of time. That's how humanity works. Maybe you should define that in a slightly more specific way?
"Everyone is an idea man. Everybody thinks they have a revolutionary new game concept that no one else has ever thought of. Having cool ideas will rarely get you anywhere in the games industry. You have to be able to implement your ideas or provide some useful skill. Never join a project whose idea man or leader has no obvious development skills. Never join a project that only has a web designer. You have your own ideas. Focus on them carefully and in small chunks and you will be able to develop cool projects."

Weapon of Destruction
papercoffee
Godlike
Personal rank: coffee addicted !!!

Post by papercoffee »

Gustavo6046 wrote:Can I draw the badge?
nope.

...tomorrow is the badge ready to download.
Gustavo6046
Godlike

Post by Gustavo6046 »

Okay :/

Weapon of Destruction
Xenwarrior5
Novice

Post by Xenwarrior5 »

Is there a deadline for entry? Am I too late? Do you have to go it alone, or can you team up with people? (I don't mind either way for that last point)

I'd like to enter the contest though, it would give me something neat to do, and the timeframe seems generous enough for me.
EvilGrins
Godlike
Personal rank: God of Fudge

Post by EvilGrins »

Xenwarrior5 wrote:Is there a deadline for entry? Am I too late? Do you have to go it alone, or can you team up with people?
Full details at the start of the thread, but for the more immediate bit...
papercoffee wrote:Date:
-The Contest starts 1st of October and lasts till 10th of December.
http://unreal-games.livejournal.com/
medor wrote:Replace Skaarj with EvilGrins :mrgreen:
Smilies · viewtopic.php?f=8&t=13758
Terraniux
Masterful
Personal rank: Banished member

Post by Terraniux »

The contest is ON.

Good luck all! :mrgreen: :highfive:
This member can only post when permitted.
papercoffee
Godlike
Personal rank: coffee addicted !!!

Post by papercoffee »

Xenwarrior5 wrote:Is there a deadline for entry? Am I too late? Do you have to go it alone, or can you team up with people? (I don't mind either way for that last point)

I'd like to enter the contest though, it would give me something neat to do, and the timeframe seems generous enough for me.
You can team up with people ...but at the final votes can only one team member vote.
I need both names to put them into the participants list.
You can still enter the contest ...Some people didn't decide if they really participate (like myself), but they are in the list.

@All
The AMC Badge will be delayed till tomorrow. Real-life (I mean work) got in the way.
FraGnBraG
Inhuman
Personal rank: Good news everyone!

Post by FraGnBraG »

wow it worked! ( my password :P )

don't know if i'm any good at this ut99 stuff any more - but - everything seems to be just where I left it (just covered in dust)
dammit! there's many gigs of ut related stuff down in those old folders - maybe some inspiration awaits :)
So sign me up :)

hmm... i should probably see if ut99/ued even works in Win 10 ...
if not I have an older win7 machine than likely has ut99 on it :)

Cheers
-=FraGnBraG Level Design=- ***UPDATED! even works on your phone!***
XaNKoNII
Skilled
Personal rank: Phenix

Post by XaNKoNII »

Only saw this now! Thanks for putting my name in it :D
Still have a week of vacation, I was gonna work on my other map but not ill put full gear on this baby. And I already know what I'm going to do 8)
Feralidragon
Godlike
Personal rank: Work In Progress

Post by Feralidragon »

I'm not going to participate after all, you can remove my name from the list.

It's been on my mind on whether or not I should participate, but I have to budget my free time carefully, and the map I intended to do would probably take more work than expected and I would end up missing the deadline anyway (as I always do), so it won't be worth the time I would personally invest into doing this or any other kind of map, for now at least, as I will focus that time on working on other things instead, like my framework which has not seen much development lately and which happens to be the most fundamental piece for new existing services and all I intend to do in the future as well, UT99-related and otherwise.

I'm still eager to see the actual maps made for this contest though, so best of luck to all participants. :tu:
UnrealGGecko
Godlike
Personal rank: GEx the Gecko

Post by UnrealGGecko »

Xenwarrior5 and FnB added :) , Ferali removed :(
darksonny
Adept

Post by darksonny »

FraGnBraG wrote:wow it worked! ( my password :P )

don't know if i'm any good at this ut99 stuff any more - but - everything seems to be just where I left it (just covered in dust)
dammit! there's many gigs of ut related stuff down in those old folders - maybe some inspiration awaits :)
So sign me up :)

hmm... i should probably see if ut99/ued even works in Win 10 ...
if not I have an older win7 machine than likely has ut99 on it :)

Cheers
Happy seeing you again here dude! I love your maps! Any chance to see pending projects finished? :)
Dr.Flay
Godlike
Personal rank: Chaos Evangelist

Post by Dr.Flay »

Oh.... fancy seeing you here @FraGnBrag !
..what a... er....surprise *cough* :mrgreen:

Hmm, well if Ferali is out, and you need inspiration, what about taking on whatever Ferali had planned and running with it ?

I copied and updated my big list of tips for using old UT on new systems, so if you want UT working on Win10 you may want to skim and digest.
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=12927
Don't forget, Unreal UEd2.1 is at your disposal.

That reminds me.
Often we recommend UEd2.1 for doing useful new tricks, but a couple of features make it handy for cutting down time spent mapping.
For those of you that don't know, UEd2.1 can add decos and automatically align with the geometry.
It will also let you swap any selected items in the map for a selected item in the browser.
eg. This is handy if you change your mind and want to swap all of a weapon or ammo in 1 go.