The AWESOME Mapping Contest

Tutorials and discussions about Mapping - Introduce your own ones!
JackGriffin
Godlike
Personal rank: -Retired-

Re: The AWESOME Mapping Contest

Post by JackGriffin »

OGL for me and most of the people I know that I discuss it with.

An update and question about my entry too. Credit to Smeer for the suggestion, I am renaming my project BRUT (Battle Royale UT). I have everything in pretty good shape so I was thinking about running a public server this weekend. I really need to get players on server and watch the logs for issues as well as get some feedback. I just don't see any way to get this in presentable shape for a 'reveal' at the contest and not get critique from people and live logs to find the existing issues.

The mod will be secured to run on only my server so it won't help to uncache it if you test it out. For sure though I will post the entire source code (as always) when the contest deadline comes. You are free to make your own BRUT version if you want. I just don't want to have version mismatch because someone didn't listen.

I don't really care if I win anything or not, I'm just having a good time talking shop with everyone and seeing the projects develop. If running a test server disqualifies me from scoring then that's fine. I'd rather have a completed project to post than a pending beta.
So long, and thanks for all the fish
SzGergo
Skilled

Post by SzGergo »

i swept the dust off the UEd, so there is a chance i can submit something, so i would say i'd like to participate.
Some parts are already implemented pretty nicely, some other parts are still just pencil sketches on a paper.
The good thing is, the concept itself got more or less estabilished...
R3plicant
Experienced

Post by R3plicant »

SzGergo wrote:i swept the dust off the UEd, so there is a chance i can submit something, so i would say i'd like to participate.
Some parts are already implemented pretty nicely, some other parts are still just pencil sketches on a paper.
The good thing is, the concept itself got more or less estabilished...
You ARE going to tell us more, aren't you?! :)
FraGnBraG
Inhuman
Personal rank: Good news everyone!

Post by FraGnBraG »

Revelation wrote:... Somehow I managed to cram over 1500 brushes into a playable area of 3000*2000 UUs. :ironic:
Visible polygon counts peak out at around 1000, but since it's a 1on1-map (or maybe 3 players at most), ...
... brighness levels are way off... ...Or still just good old D3D9/OGL?
Can't wait to see this Rev :thuup: I would suggest stick with the older OGL - I have been mapping to 5/10 in the editor (software) and in-game drop it to 4/10 (f-11 key)- I have larger monitors now so UT99 seems a lot brighter nowadays and dropping the brightness by one notch works for me.
-=FraGnBraG Level Design=- ***UPDATED! even works on your phone!***
Revelation
Average
Personal rank: UEngine violator

Post by Revelation »

JackGriffin wrote:OGL for me and most of the people I know that I discuss it with.
FraGnBraG wrote:I would suggest stick with the older OGL
Yeah, that's what I thought. Will go with OGL then, thx!

Another question: Maybe it was already answered and I missed it, but at least the orinial rules don't mention it... Is "AMC" supposed to be part of the map name, like in "DM-AMC-something"? Or just use the plain title "DM-something" and put the badge texture somewhere in the map?
Last edited by Revelation on Thu Nov 15, 2018 10:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
papercoffee
Godlike
Personal rank: coffee addicted !!!

Post by papercoffee »

Revelation wrote:
JackGriffin wrote:OGL for me and most of the people I know that I discuss it with.
FraGnBraG wrote:I would suggest stick with the older OGL
Yeah, that's what I thought. Will go with OGL then, thx!

Another question: Maybe it was already answered and I missed it, but at least the orinial rules don't mention it... Is "AMC" supposed to be part of the map name, like in "DM-AMC-something"? Or just use the plain title "DM-something" und put the badge texture somewhere in the map?
"DM-AMC-something" is correct. ;)
SzGergo
Skilled

Post by SzGergo »

just a quick question: not much related to topic, it's only that i don't want to waste time experimenting with something in my AMC map i am working on, if someone already know th answer.
I don't have much knowledge how well the engine handles lighting dynamically:
Is there any drawbacks, limits, performance issues etc if i spam my map with triggered lights, let alone triggered light that has lighting effects. Idk how the engine changes the lighmaps of surfaces run time, but basically that would mean large surfaces of large open areas would be subject to constant changeing.
Did someone already set up something likt that, and with what with results?
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

SzGergo wrote:Did someone already set up something likt that, and with what with results?
Yes, you have to force some change in order to gain replication working. With other words if light starts in map turned off put it turned on (for a second), and turn off quickly with a triggering stuff before to work normally with it during game. Also it is helpful to use bAlwaysRelevant else it will be a bit nasty On-Line - at this point I recommend less lights and a lower NetUpdateFrequency for saving net resources... TriggerLight is nice if it's correctly set.
A sample about such things I did as a cannon firing effect triggered by a monster called Mr. Bombadir in my map MH-Sk_Godz when it's triggered under alarm, other is MH-Sk_BattlingLottery with some electricity effects nearby HP machines in Manta battling - here some servers are not working that nice because of their "intelligent" admins, but other Win servers are working like a charm (where I did settings), another usage was in MH-3072-FloorWays_rv1 - last electrified fart explosion... :lol2: , also electric panel from last floor.., also in a modification MH-AbsoluteZero_R16 (not sure about a download option here)...
Swanky
Adept
Personal rank: Brush Commander

Post by Swanky »

Think I'm going to have something ready by December 10th. Fired up the editor today and had a good session and getting comfy with everything again. It's an old map and a long shot, let's see how it turns out.
€ Hey Rev! Nice to see you back in action, too!
FraGnBraG
Inhuman

Post by FraGnBraG »

Swanky wrote:Think I'm going to have something ready by December 10th.
Awesome! :thuup:

(Just stay away from the terrain this time, heh! I still hurt from that one ;)

Cheers
Swanky
Adept
Personal rank: Brush Commander

Post by Swanky »

I hear ya. Don't worry. Unless I do something incredibly stupid that won't happen again.
€ I just might do something incredibly stupid. Luckily, I won't need your help with it. :D
FraGnBraG
Inhuman

Post by FraGnBraG »

Another beta:
download CTF-AMC-BigAndUgly-BETA-2

Please leave comments/feedback in the map thread ... Thanks
R3plicant
Experienced

Post by R3plicant »

FraGnBraG wrote:Another beta:
download CTF-AMC-BigAndUgly-BETA-2

Please leave comments/feedback in the map thread ... Thanks
Doesn't launch, citing issues with udamage and xpickups.

Edit. It opened/launched aye ok when I selected to use the mutators he'd included in the download. Originally, I hadn't done that and of course that's why it crashed; the map needed the mutators.
Last edited by R3plicant on Sat Nov 24, 2018 12:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Barbie
Godlike

Post by Barbie »

I have no problem opening it with UnrealEd.
R3plicant wrote:Doesn't launch, citing issues with udamage and xpickups.
You should cite the error messages from your UnrealTournament.log.
"Multiple exclamation marks," he went on, shaking his head, "are a sure sign of a diseased mind." --Terry Pratchett
Revelation
Average
Personal rank: UEngine violator

Post by Revelation »

Just wanted to drop those here... Say hi to DM-AMC-Gluon. ;)
Spoiler

As you can tell, the map is pretty much done. I'll be doing some tweaking over the next few days, but other than that, everything is finished.
I'll still submit the map as late as possible, in case I find more flaws... So just in advance, where should I send it once I'm 100% done? Just PM a link to papercoffee?