The AWESOME Mapping Contest

Tutorials and discussions about Mapping - Introduce your own ones!
Terraniux
Masterful
Personal rank: Banished member

Re: The AWESOME Mapping Contest

Post by Terraniux »

papercoffee wrote:
Terraniux wrote:I'd like to make a request if that is ok with the staff /rules.
It's ok ...your map runs under bonus content now. :wink:
I hope this map will be playable. I want to play it.
no no , i want my submission under official rules, for voting. What ment is that I hope the "final version" is supposed to be fixed for the mappack

I worked my **** ass off to get this map this far. My submission I delivered still complies for official voting.. bugged or not.
This member can only post when permitted.
papercoffee
Godlike
Personal rank: coffee addicted !!!

Post by papercoffee »

Even the bugged version?
Ok can do this.

But I hope you'll fix everything for the final map pack. :wink:
Terraniux
Masterful

Post by Terraniux »

papercoffee wrote:Even the bugged version?
Ok can do this.

But I hope you'll fix everything for the final map pack. :wink:
Thank you!

I hope so too...
papercoffee
Godlike

Post by papercoffee »

Ah I forgot I already linked to your submission.

Then the judges have already downloaded it.
SzGergo
Skilled

Post by SzGergo »

FraGnBraG wrote:
papercoffee wrote:
SzGergo wrote: ... There is a shitton of deco in my skybox, and none of them is existant on client side ...
EDIT - I just looked at fractal, rebuilt (as a different mapname) and I have blue pathlines to the SB, no probs...!?

Regarding using deco meshes in Skybox -
There's some flags you set depending on the mesh/effect...
Don't know if you did this already, but this works in maps
I've made (an others...)

Common examples:

1. Flying fighter jet attached to a mover (for flypast in the skybox, etc.):
bGameRelevant=True
bMovable=True
bNoDelete=True
bStasis=True

2. RocketTrails:
bDirectional=True
bGameRelevant=True
bMovable=True
bNetTemporary=True
bNoDelete=True

3.UTFlare:
bMovable=True
bStasis=True
bStatic=True

I think for deco that doesn't move ignore bMovable, for anything that is just static (like a tree) use the #3 settings.

Hope this helps...
Thx!
I am messing with those, I can somehwat put my finger on it to, but unfortunatelly i still cannot figure it out exactly how this exactly works altogehter. Like if there were something with the replication of certain things that is totally beyond me...

(As for the Fractal map, I did exactly the same, and nope, 90% of the paths (the ones that should be "supported" by the trapdoor) disappeared. I can see three red lines fromt three nearby apples going (and terminating) there. The blue ones you see are conecting the two warp zones...)
However, the trick seemed to work: I put a solid platform there, that let the paths genereta how i liked them, then i deleted the solids and rebuilt the geometry and lighting only. Uggly way of working around, but so far it seems to work...
Barbie
Godlike

Post by Barbie »

SzGergo wrote:There is a shitton of deco in my skybox, and none of them is existant on client side.
I guess the game thinks they are not relevant (cuz the skybox is sealed box outside evertyhing obviously...)
What am i to do?
Setting bAlwaysRelevant=True should do the trick. But keep in mind that there are "only" 1023 channels between client and server.
"Multiple exclamation marks," he went on, shaking his head, "are a sure sign of a diseased mind." --Terry Pratchett
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

And more than 1023(-1024) channels will push people to add more actors until next boundary is encountered ITERATIONS limit, then MaxPoints and so on going nowhere.
Question: Is not much relevant to script decorations only in client side permanently visible rather than using network ?
My answer: Yes it is, over confirmed...
SzGergo
Skilled

Post by SzGergo »

Thank for the ideas so far, it helped setting up the relevances correctly.
However the problem is the mover.

It seem sthat movers in UT are cancerous.
They simply move siginificantly faster on client side. I have no idea what sort of shit this is, but that is the case.
There is a mover that supposed to move from A to B (dragging along all the crap in my skybox, so one will have this nice illusion the arena is moving...)
It should cover its course in 360 secs. And it does exactly that on the server. nicely
However, on thel client, it is about double as fast.
What looks a beautiful illusion of muving scenery from a train window on the server side looping continuously seamlessly, looks total crap on the client: there scenery in my skybox is like running Benny Hill show chasing scene style fast, so it reaches end keyframe too early obviously, so it stops there, waits till 360 sec tics down, (then got updated), loops back and and the moving restarts, with the same retarded pace of course....

My Plan B is to remodel my skybox, but instead of using a looping mover, i will try out a rotating mover... if scenery crap is placed on a large enough radious, hopefullly it will somehow be similar to this... Rotating movers seem to act okay at first glance...
Terraniux
Masterful

Post by Terraniux »

Today is the 12th, where is the voting thread(s)? Or is this still in the making?
papercoffee
Godlike

Post by papercoffee »

It's in the making... I'm at work, sorry.
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

SzGergo wrote:It seem sthat movers in UT are cancerous.
They simply move siginificantly faster on client side. I have no idea what sort of shit this is, but that is the case.
There is a mover that supposed to move from A to B (dragging along all the crap in my skybox, so one will have this nice illusion the arena is moving...)
It should cover its course in 360 secs. And it does exactly that on the server. nicely
Higor recommended some script for movers outside of XC_Engine and I wrote somewhere a server-actor changing MoveTime accordingly for a better net sync. I think code can be Mylevel-ed in whatever Mover child called SZ_Mover and you might try to figure what's the deal. Else... your map might work in polished servers but... not recommended in plain UT servers.
SzGergo
Skilled

Post by SzGergo »

sektor2111 wrote:
SzGergo wrote:It seem sthat movers in UT are cancerous.
Higor recommended some script for movers outside of XC_Engine and I wrote somewhere a server-actor changing MoveTime accordingly for a better net sync. I think code can be Mylevel-ed in whatever Mover child called SZ_Mover and you might try to figure what's the deal. Else... your map might work in polished servers but... not recommended in plain UT servers.
thanx... too bad for me i never tried any scripting.
Anyways, rotating mover isn't working correctly so far. Leavng everything default, it spins gazillion times faster on cient. weird.
What i want is so simple i cant beleive there is nos simple soultion for this.
I want a rotating mover, and a shitton of deco attached to it. I would like to have them work totally independently on client and server. They don't even need to be synchronized at all. My only wish they should spin with all their attachement on both sides... and with similar speed.
Is this too much to ask from the game ? :D
And i cant figure it out. If i set the mover DumbProxy or None, it won't even rotate on client side. Or it will be update in like every ten secs, so the movement will turn into something like turning the pages in a comic book...
madness...
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

In my old mapping blabbering (my very first DM map) I made a yard with a plane rotating and bombing ground. Mover was invisible but plane set to whatever ROLE_DumbProxy else it would be rotating like crazy. The plane was a Book tweaked because Stuka decoration was crap, only mesh is usable there I don't know why... as for a total revenge I did some pawns tweaked (firefly as base pawn) with that mesh crawling the skybox in clients, see KingsAndServants_Rv18 or such. Map has nothing seen in Editor at SkyBox, but go figure the game... That map is different from what was done until that time...
SzGergo
Skilled

Post by SzGergo »

Okay, rotatingmover somehow did the job. Idk how, why, whatfor, but it spins marvelously on bith sides!

Sorry for spamming this thread, and thx for help.

Here is my commission, take it as a bonus map, out of the contest.

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=13089
Feralidragon
Godlike
Personal rank: Work In Progress

Post by Feralidragon »

I would like to request a small extension to deliver the map for the final pack, if possible, something like finishing it until the 22nd to release the pack on the 23rd, otherwise I might not be able to make it in time, at which point I might have to release the map as standalone.
I believe mappers in general should be OK with this since this deadline is for the final release and not the contest itself, and it's always a bit more time for others to polish anything, and generally people have more time during the weekends anyway.

I will work on it this weekend, but I will only have more time to work on it by the end of next week afterwards.
I started the map already extremely late, but since I started it, I would like to finish it for this pack. :)