Any way to fix this warp mess?

Tutorials and discussions about Mapping - Introduce your own ones!

Re: Any way to fix this warp mess?

Postby PrinceOfFunky » Tue Oct 09, 2018 3:41 am

Look, this is probably the simplest warp to make with hollowed cylinders, and still it doesn't work at all...
Attachments
EXP-WarpCylinder_3.unr
(30.32 KiB) Downloaded 5 times
PrinceOfFunky
Inhuman

Postby Hellkeeper » Tue Oct 09, 2018 10:22 am

papercoffee wrote:what would happen if you cross the border?

As soon as you cross the border, you start falling to the "ceiling" (the floor of the room above).

PrinceOfFunky wrote:Look, this is probably the simplest warp to make with hollowed cylinders, and still it doesn't work at all...

Got it to work in a minute.
01.png

Here's what I did:
Deleted these sheets you use as portals, reset the red brush's rotation and transformation because right now it is deformed. Make a simple 1024² sheet, which aligns perfectly with the cylinder, add it as a zone portal to one cylinder, rotate it 180°vertically and then and then add it to the second cylinder, build, play, it works.

I suggest you use Engine.S_Teleport as the texture on your portals, it helps show the orientation of your sheets, and orientation is paramount for warpzones.
Take a look.
EXP-WarpCylinder_3FIXED.unr
(30.65 KiB) Downloaded 5 times

EDIT: you might be interested in this interesting page about warpzones.
You must construct additional pylons.
Hellkeeper
Masterful

Personal rank: Soulless Automaton

Postby PrinceOfFunky » Tue Oct 09, 2018 12:39 pm

Hellkeeper wrote:Here's what I did:
Deleted these sheets you use as portals, reset the red brush's rotation and transformation because right now it is deformed. Make a simple 1024² sheet, which aligns perfectly with the cylinder, add it as a zone portal to one cylinder, rotate it 180°vertically and then and then add it to the second cylinder, build, play, it works.

What do you mean with "deformed"? Cause asymmetrical sheets work anyway:
EXP-WarpCylinder_3FIXED_deformedsheets.unr
(30.53 KiB) Downloaded 3 times

But I see you placed non-solid sheets using the "Add Special Brush" dialog, may it be the actual solution?

Hellkeeper wrote:I suggest you use Engine.S_Teleport as the texture on your portals, it helps show the orientation of your sheets, and orientation is paramount for warpzones.

I tend to don't use masked textures with warp zones, since they become visible with dynamic lights. But yes every asymmetrical texture would be good for this purpose.

Hellkeeper wrote:Take a look.

Why did you put the ZoneInfos at the bottom for the AmbentBrightness? What was the problem with the LevelInfo's AmbientBrightness? D:

Hellkeeper wrote:EDIT: you might be interested in this interesting page about warpzones.

Thanks, I'll give it a look when I'll finish the map, since it's 9 today.
PrinceOfFunky
Inhuman

Postby Hellkeeper » Tue Oct 09, 2018 12:52 pm

PrinceOfFunky wrote:What do you mean with "deformed"? Cause asymmetrical sheets work anyway:

I like to set the location of my portals precisely and have them fit the cavities as well as I can, so a large deformed shit is not to my liking. As the rotation of a portal is important for a warpzone, it can only cause confusion and possibly problems.

PrinceOfFunky wrote:But I see you placed non-solid sheets using the "Add Special Brush" dialog, may it be the actual solution?

I placed preset zone-portals using the Add Special Brush. It should not make a difference because sheets don't occlude and the dialog only sets a few flags for you anyway.

Hellkeeper wrote:I tend to don't use masked textures with warp zones, since they become visible with dynamic lights.

What? Portals don't become visible in any rendering mode no matter the texture, I don't understand.

PrinceOfFunky wrote:Why did you put the ZoneInfos at the bottom for the AmbentBrightness? What was the problem with the LevelInfo's AmbientBrightness? D:

I wanted different lighting colours for each zone.
Hellkeeper
Masterful

Postby PrinceOfFunky » Tue Oct 09, 2018 3:15 pm

Hellkeeper wrote:As the rotation of a portal is important for a warpzone, it can only cause confusion and possibly problems.

An asymettrical sheet should reduce the confusion since you can see if the sheet is rotated or not while with a symmetrical one you can't.

Hellkeeper wrote:I placed preset zone-portals using the Add Special Brush. It should not make a difference because sheets don't occlude and the dialog only sets a few flags for you anyway.

Mhm, I doubt about it, there must be some additional flag set since it becomes a permanent solidity, if you try to change its solidity it won't work, if I remember good even the surface flags become permanent.

Hellkeeper wrote:What? Portals don't become visible in any rendering mode no matter the texture, I don't understand.

https://youtu.be/u_jQPT1Bpgo
(Direct 3D 10)
PrinceOfFunky
Inhuman

Postby Hellkeeper » Tue Oct 09, 2018 4:50 pm

PrinceOfFunky wrote:An asymettrical sheet should reduce the confusion since you can see if the sheet is rotated or not while with a symmetrical one you can't.

This is not really an issue, is it.

PrinceOfFunky wrote:
Hellkeeper wrote:What? Portals don't become visible in any rendering mode no matter the texture, I don't understand.

https://youtu.be/u_jQPT1Bpgo
(Direct 3D 10)

I had never noticed this. Still you should use something asymetrical with a clear direction (hence the arrow on S_Teleport). You can always change the tex before release.
Hellkeeper
Masterful

Previous

Return to Mapping