AMC- CTF- Under (Unfinished missed deadline)

Tutorials and discussions about Mapping - Introduce your own ones!
XaNKoNII
Skilled
Personal rank: Phenix

AMC- CTF- Under (Unfinished missed deadline)

Post by XaNKoNII »

Name: Under
Gametype: Capture the Flag
Players: 8-12 ?

Well i failed
but im extremely happy about that

Still i have attached the current state of my "map" for whoever wants to check how it turned out :lol2:

I started working on this map at the 11th of November and worked another day before a work related project made me quit the idea of participating on this contest. This other project consumed all my time and energy up until the 1st of December, and I tottaly had the idea the contest was over so I kept my doing my things until the 4th of December i came to UT99.org to check how the contest went only to my suprise I discovered it was still going until the 10Th :loool:
Resumed work again not with much hope as I had literally just a week and i´m not really skilled to pull up something acceptable in that amount of time, yet i wanted to work until the very last minute as a matter of principle. Better fail trying that not trying at all and boy this has though me a lot, specially regarding priorities in a map. I was so focooused on looks that I was sacrificing gamplay and this really doesnt work because if you go to a restaurant and they serve you a dish that looks amazing but tastes like sh** you are not gonna like it. And so is it with maps /games. I intend to make a final polished version of this "map" (not sure if it deserves that name) as well as a video detailing my creative process and my thoughts on this project, I really enjoy knowing how people work and am more that glad to share that same information myself. Thank you all for the cheering and for participating on this contest as well, hope your maps make it comarads! :gj:

Synopsis: In the levels near the brigde between the top of the 2 sky towers, a rougue underground illegal tournament company set up a private live match on the _______ towers , symbol of pride of this new technology company that has been threatening the status-quo of the city. This match is both the most audacious ever done as well as a message to the new bullies that who ever they are they aren't untouchable.

Notes:This is the first CTF map I´m be making, I've kept working slowly on my previous map (DM-Miestas) but I have to confess that in that project I've actually been working on the Think>Draw>Create method more than actually gaining skill in map making. In this project I want to explore how to create a beautiful scenario while keeping the bridge between the realistic and functional for a game, hope it WORKS! :D
Also, makemeunreal you're gonna love this map its gonna have greens very present in the design :lol:

Update: 6-12-2018

Total of work days until now: 5 (with an average of 4hrs of work each)

Just a little tease, I think I pretty much got the final base geometry of the level so the next 2 days I will conclude the gameflow elements and then 1 day to finalize the mise-en-scène
Spoiler
the enviroment design so to say
. Leaving the final day saved for tweaks and corrections.
Well that is the plan, probably won´t be as good as it could be BUT it will be very good for a 1 week work map made by an amateur :noidea :loool:

Update: 12-11-2018

Been working more on the pre-production side of things but at last I´ve finally got into the actual map making. Here is a little tease, not much to show as I´m still working out the "concept-to practical construction" proportion of things.

Original post:
Image: (I´m no concept artist and this is merely the first concept i created a lot can and will change)
Attachments
CTF-AMC-Under.unr
Its how it is as of this moment
(1.57 MiB) Downloaded 41 times
Last edited by XaNKoNII on Tue Dec 11, 2018 1:41 am, edited 4 times in total.
RetroEpoch
Average
Personal rank: The more the merrier

Re: TAMC- CTF- Under (WIP)

Post by RetroEpoch »

I'd love to see it finished and be able to play it with friends :)
Terraniux
Masterful
Personal rank: Banished member

Post by Terraniux »

nice project :D

So is this some cartoon-ish spin-off of facing worlds?
This member can only post when permitted.
XaNKoNII
Skilled

Post by XaNKoNII »

Terraniux wrote:nice project :D

So is this some cartoon-ish spin-off of facing worlds?
Thanks and nah, that cartoonish looks is due to the fact that I can´t draw properly. The level itself maybe more like that one from UT that is between 2 buildings and has a crane with a sniper on top :idea2:
The style another hand is actually gonna be more "Interior Design" kind of thing, a mix from futurism with that new asian architecture where they use wood greens and glaces (windows), imm gonna draw more stuff until I get the right vibe :/
JackGriffin
Godlike
Personal rank: -Retired-

Post by JackGriffin »

Bob and I messed with cell shading some. It works, it's just not very pretty like borderlands.
So long, and thanks for all the fish
makemeunreal
Masterful

Post by makemeunreal »

I'm mentioned because of plants yay!!!

Nice concept! Hope to see some nice vegetation around.

Have fun building it!
XaNKoNII
Skilled

Re: AMC- CTF- Under (WIP) Update #1

Post by XaNKoNII »

Post updated
XaNKoNII
Skilled

Re: AMC- CTF- Under (WIP) Update #2

Post by XaNKoNII »

Post update #2. :mrgreen:
XaNKoNII
Skilled

Re: AMC- CTF- Under (Unfinished missed deadline)

Post by XaNKoNII »

Posted "map" file for download and gave a little explanation about what happened :tu:
papercoffee
Godlike
Personal rank: coffee addicted !!!

Post by papercoffee »

You have now until the 21th-23th to finish your map for the map-pack.
editor Dave
Inhuman
Personal rank: Passionate SP Mapper

Post by editor Dave »

I would've liked to look at the map in the editor since the concept seemed intriguing (one tight bridge, more narrow than in Face? Potentially troublesome :satan: ), but I'm missing the package 'UT99org_AMC_2018'...

EDIT: Nevermind, it's the .utx with the badge inside :lol: Feedback will come soon!
Last edited by editor Dave on Tue Dec 11, 2018 3:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
10-Year Anniversary on Jun 08, 2019.
FraGnBraG
Inhuman
Personal rank: Good news everyone!

Post by FraGnBraG »

Too bad you missed the deadline... not a bad map at all :tu:
Reminds me of the Unreal playground doctor suess mapping contest from years ago...

A few niggles (see below) - I presume the twisted wall texture alignments on pillars are deliberate?

1. Sniper rifle please ;)
Could use a sniper rifle up here ...
Could use a sniper rifle up here ...
2. Collision hole on walk way :) Walked inside the structure, later fell to the bottom of the map...
CTF-AMC-Under-Shot0002.jpg
-=FraGnBraG Level Design=- ***UPDATED! even works on your phone!***
FraGnBraG
Inhuman
Personal rank: Good news everyone!

Post by FraGnBraG »

Make sure to submit this map as "Bonus Content" for the map-pack !!!!
-=FraGnBraG Level Design=- ***UPDATED! even works on your phone!***