DM-AMC-UnterBoden

Tutorials and discussions about Mapping - Introduce your own ones!

DM-AMC-UnterBoden

Postby makemeunreal » Sun Oct 21, 2018 10:13 pm

~The acronym AMC stand for the "Awesome Mapping Contest", an annual mapping contest held at ut99.org~

The official topic of the said contest can be reached here: https://ut99.org/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=12958

DM-AMC-UnterBoden

-----------------------------------------

Synopsis: "Deep in the tropical region of Na Pali a forgotten monument stands bravely staring into the two suns bidding farewell to the once peaceful land bathing the sacred plants of Chizra in their holy, life-giving light. Now with the Skaarj finally driven out a new danger emerges in the form of an intergalactic mining corporation rabidly reaching for the planet's rich tarydium deposits. People of the Nali once again calling their beasts for a fight over the tyrants. It's up to you to purge the temple and thus give sacrifice to the gods watching over Na Pali."

WIP-Diary #1
I started building my map from scratch on the 20th of October with pretty much no idea regarding layout.
I knew however, that my entry will feature a rocky-junglish-Nali-style-environment with a lot of plant and tree life around. I plan to deliver a unique look accompanied with a monumental map.
So, first post!
I'm not sure if I'll use this custom skybox I made yesterday but I'll definetely pack the final release with it so others may find some beauty in it and will use it on their map.
Note that it's resolution is untouched as I find the classic skyboxes very satisfying. :Actor:
Sneak peak ahead:

The map so far:

WIP-Diary #2
Well. I came to the realisation that my original plan is just to grandiouse and I won't be able to accomplish it, second day into mapping I lost pretty much all my motivation.
There are a few very nice looking parts so far tho.

A bunch of WIP screenshots taken from the editor:

I'm not sure if I'll be able to deliver this map.
I couldn't fight my inner self. The map had to have some grand terrain plants-trees, water. I'm giving myself a hard time again
Last edited by makemeunreal on Mon Oct 22, 2018 7:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
UNREAL
makemeunreal
Adept

Personal rank: UNREAL

Re: DM-AMC-UnterBoden

Postby papercoffee » Sun Oct 21, 2018 11:10 pm

Because I see the Unreal HUD from that other map ...Your contest map is for UT, right?

Nice start so far.
papercoffee
Site Staff

Personal rank: coffee addicted !!!

Postby makemeunreal » Mon Oct 22, 2018 7:18 am

papercoffee wrote:Because I see the Unreal HUD from that other map ...Your contest map is for UT, right?

Nice start so far.

Well, it will be an UT map, but the basic geometry will be done in OldUnreal's 227 patch tho. :P
The Skybox shot is just a showcase. :D
So yes, of course it is for UT! :D
UNREAL
makemeunreal
Adept

Postby GamesHarder » Mon Oct 22, 2018 10:58 am

It looks gorgeous dude!
GamesHarder

Postby makemeunreal » Mon Oct 22, 2018 12:53 pm

Well, I hope you guys will like it. I did a bit overgo with the scale tho. :\ But we will see how it turns out.
The second WIP diary is on it's way!
UNREAL
makemeunreal
Adept

Postby makemeunreal » Mon Oct 22, 2018 7:03 pm

WIP-Diary #2
Well. I came to the realisation that my original plan is just to grandiouse and I won't be able to accomplish it, second day into mapping I lost pretty much all my motivation.
There are a few very nice looking parts so far tho.

A bunch of WIP screenshots taken from the editor:

I'm not sure if I'll be able to deliver this map.
I couldn't fight my inner self. The map had to have some grand terrain plants-trees, water. I'm giving myself a hard time again
UNREAL
makemeunreal
Adept

Postby UnrealGGecko » Mon Oct 22, 2018 7:18 pm

Don't over do it, man. Take some breaks. Still plenty of time, so if you feel burned out, do something else for a while (could be a few hours, could be days). You got this!

Good luck! :thuup:
"NHL Rock The Rink" (PS1) announcer wrote:...And there are no stunt doubles in this game, folks!

My work for UT99: Counter-Strike VP, MaleOne+ & FemaleOne+ voicepacks (NEW!), DM-XC-NaliTreeV2 (from the ut99.org Xmas Contest mappack), my small spec of files at Google Drive

List of console converted maps, models & more!
UnrealGGecko
Site Staff

Personal rank: GEx the Gecko

Postby Feralidragon » Tue Oct 23, 2018 7:15 pm

It looks interesting, but I am worried about all those lights and flares.
Thus far the map is very blinding, I feel like my eyes are being strained from just trying to make out the actual map beyond all that lighting.
Feralidragon
Godlike

Personal rank: Work In Progress

Postby Red_Fist » Tue Oct 23, 2018 8:24 pm

Feralidragon wrote:It looks interesting, but I am worried about all those lights and flares.
Thus far the map is very blinding, I feel like my eyes are being strained from just trying to make out the actual map beyond all that lighting.

You mean like somebodies avatar ? :P
Binary Space Partitioning
Red_Fist
Godlike

Postby makemeunreal » Wed Oct 24, 2018 11:02 am

It's too bright indeed.

I don't want to sacrifice playability to looks.
It's happening tho.
UNREAL
makemeunreal
Adept

Postby makemeunreal » Sun Oct 28, 2018 9:49 am

Well, all I can say is that it looks a billion times better in motion.
It certainly won't be a masterpiece or my best map but it's pretty "clever" in an odd way. You'll see! ;)
Here's a few WIP shots.
Note that the map is about 12% into completion. So these shots don't represent the final map.

(Ja ich spreche deutsch aber nicht so gut. Ich habe all mein deutsch vergessen da hat ich kein menschen sprechen zu.)

The map's name is in german, meaning something like "Soil or underground. But not Under the Ground, but the soil that's under the ground level. Hard to explain. :P)
:highfive: :highfive: :highfive: :highfive: :highfive: :highfive: :highfive: :highfive: :highfive: :highfive: :highfive:

UNREAL
makemeunreal
Adept

Return to Mapping