Got the map into Beta status. I'll update this post with new / final versions when needed.
Current status: Final 1.1DOWNLOAD DM-AMC-Ars_IndusScreenshots
Screenshots appear slightly darker than ingame for me.Installation / Requirements
Done on UT v4.36, Ued 2.0
Richrig.utx (included in download)
Drop .unr file into your map folder, drop richrig.utx into your textures folder (if needed). Play.
I do recommend using OpenGL drivers, especially the community made ones, since a few textures can look ugly when using D3D renderers.Couple of notes
The base layout is around 5 years old; I think in between the time of Peak17 and Narean, with the center room originally being created by Creavion with his map Ryigiar. I scaled the layout down, added another floor and two walkways on one side (the blue corridors behind the pillars) and had the layout intertwined. It's a rather small map which by itself is not unusual for me, but it's also a very tight map. I always wanted to do a white metal / brick industrial map, but after a few days of on/off work on the map I severely lost any interest in the map.
Fast forward to late 2018. After I saw both Revelation AND fragnbrag returning (at least briefly) to UT, I thought of doing a map. However, with just 3 weeks to go for the AMC contest, there was little hope of actually doing so. It was when fnb pointed out to me that the point of having to do a map from scratch was scrapped itself that the lightbulbs and itches to do some mapping came back on. I decided to finally finish that little layout that had sat on my harddrive for so long...
Mappingwise, the outdoors took way too long to do for what little time you actually spend there, and its lighting drove me nuts because I originally wanted the map to have pinkish lighting instead of orange. Of the originally one week that went into the project after I came back, the outdoors alone ate 3 evenings. In hindsight I should have just walled off the area even if it did give me a few nice prefabs for next time. The worst part of it was lighting, however. Since sunlight does have a distinct color, the map was too small for having sunlight with blue shadows, a light blue lighting color and a pinkish main color in the complex. I originally wanted the map to have a bit of a Mass Effect feeling with its colors, but thanks to the sunlight the map felt far too colorful and the idea had to be scrapped.
It also took a bit of time to get the bots working to get around the map and not just center in the what is now the Pulse Gun room. While they are relatively smart, due to the constraints of the pathing abilities in UT they cannot liftjump to my knowledge, giving human players a distinct advantage at getting the armor. Because of it, the upper area is slightly less populated than I would wish.Stuff about the map itself
- is a 2 - 5 players map depending on your playstyle. 1on1 is rather slow with a lot of hide & seek. 3 to 4 players is the sweet spot while you can fit in 6 people in team games as well.
- All weapons present except for the ripper and warhead launcher
- 8 player starts present
- bots get everything; however, until I find a way to make them liftjump, humans do have an advantage at getting the body armor on the third floor
- polycounts get as high as 1000+ in the outdoor area looking towards the crane & pulse gun room but are otherwise around 400 - 600
- 2443 brushes with a ratio of 2.41:1; the map runs at constant 60FPs on my system (OGL drivers)
- it is significantly brighter than my last few maps (Selket, Peak17 and Narean); so there shouldn't be any brightness complaints this time around Story
Being in the lightbuld service for tournament lighting, the steady decline of demand for new arenas and lightbuld replacements drove the company into insolvency.
Now being owned by Liandri, the narrow corridors and intertwined layout serves as another arena for their annual deathmatches.To Do (not that it's going to happen)
- teach bots how to liftjump
- find another fitting, slow, mysterious, industrial music themeKnown Bugs
- The crane textures may appear wonky in D3D; I recommend using OGL DriversCredits
HortonsWho (textures taken from Ravencross)
Eli (?) - custommapmakers.org/skyboxes.php (Skybox textures)
Creavion (original center layout)
Revelation (Sunflare actor, Footstep Manager, skybox help)
The map has released in final. This is the official download thread for the contest. Any feedback is of course appreciated.