DM-AMC-2040 [FINAL]

Tutorials and discussions about Mapping - Introduce your own ones!
Porch Viking
Average

DM-AMC-2040 [FINAL]

Post by Porch Viking »

I didn't get all the polish I wanted to, but functionally, it's done. Here is DM-AMC-2040!

Map Name: Metropia 2040
Map Type: Deathmatch
Players: 16+ (26 playerstarts)
Theme: Urban / futuristic city

Misc notes:
The map is loosely based on Phantom 2040 for Sega Genesis.
It has a few custom textures, some Photoshopped from stock UT textures, and some made up from photos around the house.

EDIT: Hotfixed for the broken water issue mentioned below.
Attachments
DM-AMC-2040 hotfixed.zip
The map! Now with functional sludge.
(4.79 MiB) Downloaded 82 times
Hop across some hovering police cars for a shortcut.
Hop across some hovering police cars for a shortcut.
Outside the warehouse, a fallen hover-platform can quickly launch you to the roof. Somehow I got the kicker values right where I wanted on my first try.
Outside the warehouse, a fallen hover-platform can quickly launch you to the roof. Somehow I got the kicker values right where I wanted on my first try.
Looking up at the Maximum building.
Looking up at the Maximum building.
Last edited by Porch Viking on Mon Dec 10, 2018 2:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
papercoffee
Godlike
Personal rank: coffee addicted !!!

Re: DM-AMC-2040 [FINAL]

Post by papercoffee »

Linked to in the Contest thread. :tu:
Swanky
Adept
Personal rank: Brush Commander

Post by Swanky »

Decent map. UT doesn't have a lot of big DM maps, so a new one is appreciated. Will have to further playtest for a qualifed opinion. The river beneath the shieldbelt has no water / slime zone properties; you might want to hotfix that. Love how the cars can knock you off the shieldbelt bridge.
Aldebaran
Masterful

Post by Aldebaran »

Well done map with much variety :tu:
As Swanky mentioned, you won't die if you fall into the river.
Is it possible to reach the top of the tower with the lift, perhaps with another hidden easter egg? :-)
Porch Viking
Average

Post by Porch Viking »

Thanks for the heads-up on the water! I accidentally split it into separate zones when I was filling in the scenery :loool: And thanks for the compliments, of course.

@Aldebaran: Haha, I actually plan on doing something with that in the polish-for-the-map-pack phase.
OjitroC
Godlike

Post by OjitroC »

Like the changes to the map since the earlier version :gj:

Playing it just now I noticed that part of a walkway is missing
2040.jpg
- it can be walked on, it's just that it doesn't look like it can. Hope you can identify the location from this rather poor shot.
papercoffee
Godlike

Post by papercoffee »

OjitroC wrote: Playing it just now I noticed that part of a walkway is missing
- it can be walked on, it's just that it doesn't look like it can. Hope you can identify the location from this rather poor shot.
Looks like a BSP cut went wild.
Porch Viking
Average

Post by Porch Viking »

OjitroC wrote:Like the changes to the map since the earlier version :gj:

Playing it just now I noticed that part of a walkway is missing
2040.jpg
Crud! It's likely an easy fix, but since the deadline is only minutes away, I'm not going to risk another hotfix breaking something unexpected.
papercoffee
Godlike

Post by papercoffee »

Porch Viking wrote: Crud! It's likely an easy fix, but since the deadline is only minutes away, I'm not going to risk another hotfix breaking something unexpected.
You can try to fix it for the map-pack. :wink:
OjitroC
Godlike

Post by OjitroC »

I've just come across another missing texture - here
2040A.jpg
on top of the low wall on the edge of the walkway. I think that the outer face of this wall is missing as well.

Plus this one here
2040b.jpg
FraGnBraG
Inhuman
Personal rank: Good news everyone!

Post by FraGnBraG »

This one was a nice surprise!!! I played FFA with 7 bots OMG lots of fragging. Lots of places to go, some very unique areas (the "M" building with the curved staircase).
Lots of textures and saturated lighting as well! I would have done it a bit differently - but - I'll just add this aspect gives the map a bit of a UT99 retro feel. I was kind of transported to "back-in-the-day" (early 2000's) when UT was new and there were 4000 servers up on friday nights - many maps like this one on servers - lots of laughs and fragging. It is a big UT urban DM map - fill it with players - grab a gun and start running - there's plenty of battles waiting! If I was going to suggest anything, it would be to spend some more on the lighting in some spots to sweeten it a bit. Increase the ambient glow on your vehicles meshes - I know some have a value like 20 or something, but they look too dark on my system. I would suggest the skybox vehicle traffic textures - make them unlit or apply whiter lighting - they look black in the sky. a minor niggle, of course.
Builder rooms can be in a hidden group as well - might save you some nodes... Anyways fun map, thanks!
-=FraGnBraG Level Design=- ***UPDATED! even works on your phone!***
Swanky
Adept
Personal rank: Brush Commander

Post by Swanky »

So... now with some more qualified comment.

As fnb said, the map is reminiscing on the good old days of UT. Not too many details, just mindlessly bastling away. And for that, it works for the most part. The setting of an urban city block works surprisingly well. The rundown blocks are working quite well, and even the hightech stuff doesn't detract. I know you wanted to recreate an environment theme from another game, but that blue tower is looking quite out of place. I would have probably used something else for the shanechurch textures, as well, but I'm not very familiar with the source material either. It's not super detailed but it works. I love the speeding cars, though. Flashy and deadly, and you found a good way to make them solid.

Now for the more techy stuff:
- brush612 needs to be solid (missing textures due to bad cut)
- brush883 needs to be solid (missing textures due to bad cut)
- brush277 needs to be solid (see above)
- brush965 needs to be solid - same as above. The way you place those *can* work, but it's really wonky. The legacy wiki has a small page here. Not super helpful but it's a source at least.
- brush576 and the other pillars don't have collision, you can jump right through. Needs to be solid again. The whole area in general needs a rework, most of its errors stem from the zone portal.
- movers 4 to 6 could be changed to Movebytime to make it easier for bots. Well, all lifts actually could.

Now for gameplay. While it's a big map, most of the action is centered around the rundown building with the cars parked atop (see car16 for reference point). This is due to how much stuff is lying around. The map is crammed with guns and equipment, and basically 90% of bots were running around with the minigun. You could easily throw out around 60 - 75% of the weapons here I think. Maybe not as much, would have to playtest, but you could make each building / area in the map more unique and reasonable to travel to. Also, spread out health a bit more to different areas. A good example is the center workshop with the redeemer on in. The tower was mostly unpopulated. A stray bot went for the invisibility once but the place was pretty empty otherwise. SniperRifle0 is a weird place as well. It should be placed in a place where you can acutally snipe, like the subway nearby (which is, ironically, missing a weapon).
So I'd throw out a good amount of weapons, limiting available weapons to like 2 or 3 per building and always tied to the location they're in. Flak in the workshop is good. It's tight. You could place on in the bar in exchange for the rocket launcher. Not completely sure about it. Like I said, try each location with 2 to 3 guns tops and spread them out, so there's reason to travel to the far off places.
This also includes super pickups. Shieldbelt and Udam are fine, but I think invisibility and the redeemer could be placed in more remote / dangerous places.

Still, I somewhat liked the map. For now it's rather campy / mindless fragging, but it still has potential. Good job, hope it helps.