The AWESOME Mapping Contest - PARTICIPANTS VOTE!!

Tutorials and discussions about Mapping - Introduce your own ones!
KillRoy1972
Experienced

Re: The AWESOME Mapping Contest - PARTICIPANTS VOTE!!

Post by KillRoy1972 »

My voting points:
Spoiler
3 points:
DM-AMC-Ars-Indus - Really Nice map! good lay-out, almost Quake3 like in some sence. Reminds me of the good old days when UT was big and playing online was giving me insomnia. Fast gameplay and very nice to look at. My top-pick of the maps.

2 points:
CTF-AMC-BigAndUgly - Big map, Fun to play. Maybe just a bit too big.. Reminds me of halo in some weird sence.. Solid build, Nice soundtrack! Cant wait to play this one online on a 32 player server!

1 point:
CTF-[R3P]-W007-II-[AMC] - I just like w00t maps, looks very pretty imo and has fun game play... A little 'i've been here before' but hell, 'let's play it again!!

Honorable Mention:
DM-AMC-Gluon - Looks very pretty, plays fast, but it is a liitle too cramped for my likings to make it to the 3rd place. It was close tho!
Thanx everyone for submiting and taking the time to create the maps!

Keep UT alive! :rock:
Porch Viking
Average

Post by Porch Viking »

Now that I've had time to play them all:

Best, 3 points: KillRoy1972's CTF-AMC-FastandW00tabulous3. I simply had the most fun with it, even though I keep making a wrong turn after the jump straight ahead of the flag.

Great, 2 points: Swanky's DM-AMC-Ars_Indus. Best of the DM maps, but there are a few spots that could flow better. In particular, the thighpads at the top of the elevator, or the health in the outdoor area require you to go up and then backtrack a little if you approached from the lower area.

Good, 1 point: Revelation's DM-AMC-Gluon. I love the look, and for the most part it plays well. I'm not a fan of having to hammer jump for regular armor, and the health vial platforms are a bit awkward to jump on at times.
Krull0r
Average
Personal rank: 227 Emitter Expert

Post by Krull0r »

Spoiler
1) three points for DM-AMC-Gluon by Revelation - most stunning map I ever have seen and superb usage of quake 3 textures!

2) two points for CTF-[REP]-W007-II-[AMC] by R3plicant

3) one point for DM-[AMC]-Ars-Indus by Swanky
Last edited by Krull0r on Fri Dec 14, 2018 4:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.
R3plicant
Experienced

Post by R3plicant »

Ahem,. Papercoffee,.. 3 points for my W007 map thus far, please correct your score result page. :) :tu: Thanks Krull0r & KillRoy1972! :highfive:
Revelation
Average
Personal rank: UEngine violator

Post by Revelation »

Spoiler
3 points: Ars-Indus by Swanky
Small map with a great layout and lots of z-axis fighting, very solid architecture and beautiful lighting. I espeically love the outdoor part with its perfectly executed sunlight theme and all those "unnecessary" decoration elements. The only real criticism I still have is the "dead end" with the UDamage inside, I would have prefered the other end of the shaft being open. But still, easily the best map in this collection.

2 points: Modular by Krull0r
I said it before and I say it again: Despite all the WarpZones' technical issues, this is overall a damn good map, both concerning its gameplay and its absolutely unique visuals. My main criticism remains that I would have loved to see the portals being more relevant for the gameplay. But even if you look at them as "mainly decoration", they still look great, and the map also plays well even without them.

1 point: BigAndUgly by FraGnBraG
Normally I'm not really into giant maps, since huge size always comes with a low level detail and big, flat surfaces. This map however manages to pretty much hide that fact due to very good lighting and texture choice. I also like the overall layout and gameplay, although at times, the map is just too big and therefore "empty", even with 16 players. Plus, I like the fact that there are plenty of speed-pickups in the UTR-version, but at the same time, the default speed just feels bad whenever you don't have one.
Last edited by Revelation on Fri Dec 14, 2018 6:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
papercoffee
Godlike
Personal rank: coffee addicted !!!

Post by papercoffee »

R3plicant wrote:Ahem,. Papercoffee,.. 3 points for my W007 map thus far, please correct your score result page. :) :tu: Thanks Krull0r & KillRoy1972! :highfive:
Woops sorry ...misread the map name because we have 2 woot maps.
fixed.
R3plicant
Experienced

Post by R3plicant »

papercoffee wrote:
R3plicant wrote:Ahem,. Papercoffee,.. 3 points for my W007 map thus far, please correct your score result page. :) :tu: Thanks Krull0r & KillRoy1972! :highfive:
fixed.
:) Thanks :agree1:
KillRoy1972
Experienced

Post by KillRoy1972 »

papercoffee wrote:
fixed.
But but... ;-P
FraGnBraG
Inhuman
Personal rank: Good news everyone!

Post by FraGnBraG »

Spoiler
3 points: Ars-Indus by Swanky.
For me this is the one! I had high expectations and he did not disappoint. Everything here in good balance (gameplay, theme, lighting, audio, overall ambience). I always like how some maps can make you feel like you're in actual locale. This is one of those maps. With 4 players there was fighting going on all over the map, well done! :rock:

2 points: Gluon by Revelation.
This one edged out Modular for high quality and polish - I rated Gluon a bit higher mainly for style, ambience and absolutely visceral gameplay on higher bot settings. Got owned by the BOT - I hate that ;( Best 1on1 I've played in a long while. :tu:

1 point: CTF-AMC-FastandW00tabulous3.
Lastly, I'm going with FastandW00tabulous3. I acknowledge the awesomeness of the remaining maps - especially DM-AMC-Modular, DM-AMC-MorpheusUnbounded, CTF-[R3P]-W007-II-[AMC] and MH-AMC-Mesospheric, but I went for "speedy-fun-factor" for the remaining point and this one beat the rest! With 3vs3, 4vs4 lots of F&F CTF woot action. Tried 5vs5 but was just NUTZ!!! Great Job Killroy!

That's it!
Cheers
-=FraGnBraG Level Design=- ***UPDATED! even works on your phone!***
UBerserker
Novice
Personal rank: JUDGEMENT

Post by UBerserker »

Oh man, my first post here in years. Played the maps quite relentlessly, eventually made up these choices.

TOP (4 POINTS)
Spoiler
DM-AMC-Gluon
This brought me back to years ago where I was still seeing the multiplayer mapping community going like FIRE with the visuals (CMP/FNB mappacks and the likes), though I probably missed some other toptier stuff in the recent years. It's the kind of stuff I'd love to see - hats off on those lasery visuals and amazing idea with the skybox water.
Almost flawless scale, all weapons feel good to use, the jumppads are fine. The items on top of the archways are rather weird, feeling like it'd still play absolutely fine if those were to be removed.
REALLY GOOD (3 POINTS)
Spoiler
DM-AMC-Ars_Indus
Looks and plays like a modern UT game retail map, the amount of details outside the playable area is magnificent. The lighting is amazing. Having Xidia flashbacks probably because of the mining theme + sunlight. This map's a Flak Cannon / Shock Combo / RL nightmare dream. The Armor is found in a rather random spot (I think it's even floating off the ground? Feels misplaced to me or like, couldn't tell that room was going to have an item at all) and that elevator next to the shock rifle: if you hop into it deep you'll get close enough to the wall and your head will bang with the above ledge.
GOOD (2 POINTS)
Spoiler
CTF-AMC-BigAndUgly
You know those moba/br games that have like one map because it's good enough, think if there'd be a CTF solo UT game you could just put this map and it'd be the same. It's fucking immense (can totally tell since my recent life with the editor has been about making XL gigantic sized stuff) and there are so many ways for people to play this level. 24 players is however still a small amount, I think 32 players would be the finest minimum. And good luck finding 32 simultaneous players nowadays.
Some of the texture choices feel weird (especially the SGTech light ones that feel repetitive or not applied well) and some zones are "empty". Given though the insane amount of areas I don't mind that much. Lastly not a huge fan of the various dead ends.
Either way didn't know FnB was still around mapping, gave a shoutout to you on twitter thinking you prob found a job in a gaming company or some shit lol.
FUN (1 POINTS)
Spoiler
CTF-AMC-FastandW00tabulous3
Nothing much to say on the visuals but the map is just relentless fun as fuck. Had the rules set up to 10 flags and went on for like 3 matches because things were mega fluid fast. Definitely a huge 180°from BigAndUgly gameplay wise.
OTHERS (0 POINTS)
Spoiler
DM-AMC-Modular
For how much the theme is fresh/unique, it gets old rather fast and it's not very effective when the playerpawns clash with the visuals. It's hard to tell areas apart, too. Same with the items, for example I didn't know if I was either picking a health vial or a box, or a Keg.
Visually superior to CTF-AMC-FastandW00tabulous3 (so 4th best in that regards), I didn't have much fun playing it however.

DM-AMC-2040
This one is pretty memorable. Definitely lots of time got put into considering the scale, the amount of different things in it and the details; though it's still crude visually and there's a big clash with some of the themes (the museum having gothiccastle textures is sooooo out of place, it's like the museum was catapulted into this city from a past timeline or it was like movies were being shot there).
It's very big on the x/y axis and due to the lighting, most of the time it's hard figuring out who's killing you from 1 KM away with a hitscan weapon (one hilarious thing is the Shock Rifle placement inside that van, basically also the easiest place to get shock combo kills in).
darksonny
Adept

Post by darksonny »

Swanky wrote:His posts don't indicate that DM-Hightude was released as an AMC map.
Oh well...okay thanks

By the way for those who make yearly contest, is it possible to make a thread with all the contest made to date by ut99.org forums and put all the links together this way people can download them easily? and put them as sticky in the mapping thread?

thanks!
papercoffee
Godlike
Personal rank: coffee addicted !!!

Post by papercoffee »

That would tedious work ...but I can try.
If I forgot about it send me a reminder.
KingJosh
Skilled

Post by KingJosh »

3 points: Gluon

Small fast paced action packed map with great z axis gameplay. Perfect skybox. Visuals are amazing (graphics, architecture shaping), could pass a UT2004 or maybe even a UT3 map.

2 points: 2040

Large urban map with tons of ramps. Nice variety of buildings and manages to blend together so many stock textures together perfectly (city,slums,utech1,2 and 3,starship,SGtech, shanechurch etc). Has very nice background buildings. Also some nice custom texture work too such as the purple city building that was myleveled.

1 Point: BigandUgly

Not sure why it is called Big and Ugly, should be called Big and Beautiful. Huge map with perfect lighting and a great rotating skybox with extremely clear planet textures. Great use of custom textures and jump pads or boosters whatever they are called. If we can get a 20 player CTF server maxed out this one will be extremely fun online.

Honorable Mention: Modular.

Great layout arena map with very unique artstyle kind of like cell shading.Very nice looking pickups too
Hellkeeper
Inhuman
Personal rank: Soulless Automaton

Post by Hellkeeper »

darksonny wrote:question: why is not listed the map from hellkeeper to be scored in the table? I swear have seen him releasing his map for this contest...
You misremembered, I didn't take part in this contest. My releasing my map at the time the competition was happening was pure coincidence. :)
You must construct additional pylons.
ExpEM
Adept

Post by ExpEM »

@3Points: Gluon
@2Points:Ars_Indus
@1Point:Modular

Well done to everyone who entered.
Signature goes here.