Naming files in UT99

Tutorials and discussions about Mapping - Introduce your own ones!

Naming files in UT99

Postby KillRoy1972 » Sun Dec 16, 2018 11:45 am

So I came acrross a minor problem..

If I save a map i work on, It will not let me save the work with a long filename..

Is this a editor flaw, or a windows flaw, and most importantly, how do i resolve this?

Maybe a stupid question, But since i mostly work on an iMac and this is on a winodows machine especially for games..
KillRoy1972
Novice

Re: Naming files in UT99

Postby UT Sniper (SJA94) » Sun Dec 16, 2018 1:20 pm

It's the editor having a max character limit for a files location.

One way around it is to change the directory you keep Unreal Tournament in, years ago I had an install many folders deep(F:folder/folder/folder/folder/folder/UnrealTouanemnt/system/) and I couldn't save anything I worked on. I had to move it to the root directory to be able to save everything (C:UT/).
Find the Latest player inis https://ooper.000webhostapp.com/ut/newinis/ (2019 version)
My latest UT themed game Spawn Killer 4 Game
UT Sniper (SJA94)
Adept

Personal rank: noob programmer

Postby Barbie » Sun Dec 16, 2018 2:55 pm

KillRoy1972 wrote:long filename [...] editor
Maximum file name length is about 78 (see thread UnrealEd: Maximum file name lenght also).
"Multiple exclamation marks," he went on, shaking his head, "are a sure sign of a diseased mind." --Terry Pratchett
Barbie
Godlike

Postby KillRoy1972 » Sun Dec 16, 2018 3:23 pm

UT Sniper (SJA94) wrote:It's the editor having a max character limit for a files location.

One way around it is to change the directory you keep Unreal Tournament in, years ago I had an install many folders deep(F:folder/folder/folder/folder/folder/UnrealTouanemnt/system/) and I couldn't save anything I worked on. I had to move it to the root directory to be able to save everything (C:UT/).

Ah, that makes sense..

It is a steam instal which is not a C:/UT/ install.

KEt me install it by hand in the proper location, because this is really annoying.. a file named DM-1on1-ProgressionALFA1 is too long.. :-|
KillRoy1972
Novice

Postby JackGriffin » Sun Dec 16, 2018 3:41 pm

Also be sure there are no spaces in the path. It can happen with the steam installation IIRC.
"You damn kids, back in my time we made the items, maps and games ourselves with an unwieldy engine using counter-intuitive crash-prone tools and we liked it so much we built communities around this which nowadays look like cults because they're quasi-parallel societies based on the same old games." -Hellkeeper
JackGriffin
Godlike

Personal rank: Hack coder

Postby KillRoy1972 » Sun Dec 16, 2018 9:30 pm

It worked! :rock:

Thnx guys!
KillRoy1972
Novice

Return to Mapping