DM-AMC-Miestas

Tutorials and discussions about Mapping - Introduce your own ones!
XaNKoNII
Skilled
Personal rank: Phenix

DM-AMC-Miestas

Post by XaNKoNII »

18mins late but i really really really hope It still on time to be added as bonus on the Awesome Map Contest Mappack :O

Notes: I compeletely scraped the CTF map that I had worked on because as a mapper I really really disliked my work there to be honest and I was thinking about presenting both "CTF-AMC-Under" and "DM-AMC-Miestas" but Miestas holds more an impressive atmosphere with certain part of the map really "awesome" hence me going with the final decision of presenting DM-AMC-Miestas intead.

Miestas beggan as an improvement of my lighting skills, on my last contest the map really lacked lighintg strenght with me trying and trying but not understanding what I did wrong! On miestas I beggan experiencing the workflow of Design>execution>design>improvemt, it also server as a way for me to prove that global lighting in Unreal can to some extend be faked and on this work I proved that it needs skill, and refinement but it can be done!
This map has had work regarding Sound Design (despite the lack of ambient sounds) I did sound "echo"/"reverb" values in each area of the map to make them feel more realistic. Something that honestly doesn't work quite well for competitive Multiplayer but for SinglePlayer (wich is my main interest) what I have done here is definitely something I will use in upcomming projects

Attachments
DM-Amc-Miestas(final).unr
Added ambient sounds to the map
(5.7 MiB) Downloaded 47 times
DM-Amc-Miestas.unr
(5.69 MiB) Downloaded 50 times
Last edited by XaNKoNII on Sat Dec 29, 2018 5:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.
UnrealGGecko
Godlike
Personal rank: GEx the Gecko

Re: DM-AMC-Miestas

Post by UnrealGGecko »

You got lucky, seems the deadline got postphoned to after Xmas eve :tu:

Currently away so cant test it, but very glad to see you finish this one :rock:
XaNKoNII
Skilled

Post by XaNKoNII »

UnrealGGecko wrote:You got lucky, seems the deadline got postphoned to after Xmas eve :tu:

Currently away so cant test it, but very glad to see you finish this one :rock:
ho wow nice :tu:

Btw thank you for the name for this map :tu:
Spoiler
(it was you right?)
Its not quite the awe I wanted with this map, but I have to be realistic about my mapping skills. Im only just beggining to there needs to be room for a lot of "could be betters" instead of trying to make everything until they are perfect, getting frustraded and giving up :tongue:
papercoffee
Godlike
Personal rank: coffee addicted !!!

Post by papercoffee »

Bonus map?
UnrealGGecko
Godlike
Personal rank: GEx the Gecko

Post by UnrealGGecko »

papercoffee wrote:Bonus map?
Yup.
Spoiler
And yes the name was my idea lol :tongue:
Porch Viking
Average

Post by Porch Viking »

This map needs UTtech4. I don't have that, so I can't play it, but the screenshots look nice!
OjitroC
Godlike

Post by OjitroC »

Porch Viking wrote:This map needs UTtech4. I don't have that, so I can't play it, but the screenshots look nice!
Here you are

[The extension utx has been deactivated and can no longer be displayed.]

------------------------------- Edit --------------------------------------------
I really like the lighting, the shadows and the layout - it certainly does evoke a hazy, sunny day (in Portugal?). The buildings are nicely formed and textured, creating what I take to be a small mixed use complex.

Though the sound design within the buildings works well, I do think the lack of ambient sound outside detracts a little from the atmosphere - given that it is sunny and hot one might expect the odd insect, for example, or some slight noise from the presumably residential buildings (if they are occupied). I'm not a big player of DM so can't really comment on the gameplay aspects, except that the placement of the ammo in particular appeared to be random and gave the impression of stuff scattered around (which may be intentional?).

I watched 8 bots play the map and you may like to note
  • 1 The invisibility, ThighPads1 and a med box are outside the playable area, and the shock rifle closest to these is partly in the wall when it rotates
    2 The semi-circular raised area with the minigun did not get used at all, though the action was well spread out over the rest of the map
    3 In the course of the match several of the bots got blown out of the playable area and battled outside (when they saw each other)
    4 A window on the first floor of the building opposite to the main warehouse would open up more opportunities for use of the sniper rifle placed on that floor
    5 The raised platform in the main part of the warehouse didn't get used and there appears to be no way to access it.
    6 Following on from 5, perhaps the map could do with more possibilities for z axis action?
XaNKoNII
Skilled

Re: DM-AMC-Miestas (final)

Post by XaNKoNII »

Updated post with a new download, although I must warn the only change i made was put some ambient sounds on the map. !

OjitroC wrote: I really like the lighting, the shadows and the layout - it certainly does evoke a hazy, sunny day (in Portugal?). The buildings are nicely formed and textured, creating what I take to be a small mixed use complex.
Thanks yeah I didn´t really think much about where the sun was but reading your comment made me realise I made it as I know it in my everyday life so yeah is a sunny sky clear day in Portual :lol2:
OjitroC wrote: Though the sound design within the buildings works well, I do think the lack of ambient sound outside detracts a little from the atmosphere - given that it is sunny and hot one might expect the odd insect, for example, or some slight noise from the presumably residential buildings (if they are occupied). I'm not a big player of DM so can't really comment on the gameplay aspects, except that the placement of the ammo in particular appeared to be random and gave the impression of stuff scattered around (which may be intentional?).
Yeah If I had to make this project again I would invest in making my own (or colecting) ambient sounds, birds really sell the idea of summer with the ocasional insect. As for the placements they are stuff scattered arround but I must admit the idea behind it was for the items to have tecnology pads beneath them and the overall aspect of the map would be a location turned into a stage BUT that is still not on my current maping skills

OjitroC wrote: I watched 8 bots play the map and you may like to note
  • 1 The invisibility, ThighPads1 and a med box are outside the playable area, and the shock rifle closest to these is partly in the wall when it rotates
    2 The semi-circular raised area with the minigun did not get used at all, though the action was well spread out over the rest of the map
    3 In the course of the match several of the bots got blown out of the playable area and battled outside (when they saw each other)
    4 A window on the first floor of the building opposite to the main warehouse would open up more opportunities for use of the sniper rifle placed on that floor
    5 The raised platform in the main part of the warehouse didn't get used and there appears to be no way to access it.
    6 Following on from 5, perhaps the map could do with more possibilities for z axis action?
Thanks for this feedback, these are definitely things I will take in consideration im my following maps. This one in particular was about me devoloping an identity regarding the maping style,and beating the cubic map syndrom. Being able to create an atmosphere/envyroment, the next will be a lot better than this one. OR not :loool: we will have to see.

What follows regarding maping is my SP project Frostbite wich i´m really anxious to seriously start working on that :wink: