DM-SteelPro]I[

Tutorials and discussions about Mapping - Introduce your own ones!

DM-SteelPro]I[

Postby stat_I_k » Sun Jan 20, 2019 8:28 pm

DM-SteelPro]I[_beta1:
Download ZIP: https://gamebanana.com/maps/202410

There is no bot support, but this map is running on servers, so u can play it with Humans:
https://www.gametracker.com/server_info/37.230.210.106:5777/
https://www.gametracker.com/server_info/37.230.210.106:7777/

I plan to do extended version of this map, so any feedback is welcome

Changes since previous version:
- found and fixed "bug brush" which caused increasing map size from 2Mb to 17 Mb;
- added initial bot support; (there are stiil a lot of work needed to teach them use kickers and slide brushes);
- reduced global light from 192 to 128;

Changes since previous version:
- more darky, a little changes in texturing

Last edited by stat_I_k on Sun Feb 03, 2019 6:50 pm, edited 8 times in total.
stat_I_k
Novice

Re: DM-SteelPro]I[

Postby JackGriffin » Sun Jan 20, 2019 9:26 pm

I like the layout. You should get some of the editor geniuses in here to help you with texturing. They could also show you botpathing. There's a good base here and with some tweaking it could be an order of magnitude better without changing your idea.
"You damn kids, back in my time we made the items, maps and games ourselves with an unwieldy engine using counter-intuitive crash-prone tools and we liked it so much we built communities around this which nowadays look like cults because they're quasi-parallel societies based on the same old games." -Hellkeeper
JackGriffin
Godlike

Personal rank: Hack coder

Postby UnrealGGecko » Mon Jan 21, 2019 9:44 am

JackGriffin wrote:I like the layout. You should get some of the editor geniuses in here to help you with texturing. They could also show you botpathing. There's a good base here and with some tweaking it could be an order of magnitude better without changing your idea.

Pretty much this. For example that texture at the bottom of the 1st pic is mostly used for floors and sometimes trims, not walls :mrgreen:
That glass tube is pretty fun to jump into, lol. Layout is good as well. Hope to see this map botpathed and ready, well done! :tu:
"NHL Rock The Rink" (PS1) announcer wrote:...And there are no stunt doubles in this game, folks!

My work for UT99: Counter-Strike VP, MaleOne+ & FemaleOne+ voicepacks (NEW!), DM-XC-NaliTreeV2 (from the ut99.org Xmas Contest mappack), my small spec of files at Google Drive

List of console converted maps, models & more!
UnrealGGecko
Site Staff

Personal rank: GEx the Gecko

Postby sektor2111 » Mon Jan 21, 2019 5:06 pm

stat_I_k wrote:There is no bot support, but this map is running on servers, so u can play it with Humans
Here I admit that the statement seems a little false to the type of DeathMatchPlus I use. There I have the ability to hunt an enemy using the map navigation network as the bots do - Why only bots do that ? How can I find the enemy if the map has no navigation to guide me ?
2nd problem - How do I use relics ? No relics ? Why ?
3rd problem - How do I get other creatures on the map if I have no references ? SwarmSpawn family here.
4th problem - As soon as I remember the last BRUT mode, it was something painted with graffiti images on the walls near the navigation network, something that was done with some effort. Such maps do not encourage the development of similar mods.

Off-Topic On
Welcome to UT99.ORG, enjoy your stay and be creative - I must say...
Off-Topic Off
sektor2111
Godlike

Postby stat_I_k » Mon Jan 21, 2019 7:23 pm

JackGriffin wrote:They could also show you botpathing. There's a good base here and with some tweaking it could be an order of magnitude better without changing your idea.

Initially I did botpathing, but bots are too dumb to use kickerjumps. They use to stuck in it in continious jumping by vertical. Also bots can't see player and other bots while being in this continious jumping. Thus I decided to completely remove bot support.

UnrealGGecko wrote:For example that texture at the bottom of the 1st pic is mostly used for floors and sometimes trims, not walls :mrgreen:

Yes, I decided to break the rules in this map. Be against the system

UnrealGGecko wrote:That glass tube is pretty fun to jump into, lol.

YES. Especially when u use the trap :D

sektor2111 wrote:Here I admit that the statement seems a little false to the type of DeathMatchPlus I use. There I have the ability to hunt an enemy using the map navigation network as the bots do - Why only bots do that ? How can I find the enemy if the map has no navigation to guide me ?
2nd problem - How do I use relics ? No relics ? Why ?
3rd problem - How do I get other creatures on the map if I have no references ? SwarmSpawn family here.
4th problem - As soon as I remember the last BRUT mode, it was something painted with graffiti images on the walls near the navigation network, something that was done with some effort. Such maps do not encourage the development of similar mods.

What kind of relics? There's no botpathing in this version yet, so it's playable only online with humans (DeathMatch mode)
stat_I_k
Novice

Postby SzGergo » Mon Jan 21, 2019 7:50 pm

as mentioned before, textures are soemtimes incongruent, and sometimes pretty random.
5th picture is a typical example, like when tehre is a ledge, and that recrangular stone-ish slab texture meets that iron-ish grill texture, the thing gets implausible. Neither of them having "width" kills the illusion.
Or take the misaligned wooden box textures.
Textures should be consistent with the geometry, and it also helps if the modelled things are plausible too, like how i don't like those glass-ish tubes protruding from the crate-ish textured ceiling, with the impossible "wooden-box ramp" in the background...
SzGergo
Skilled

Postby sektor2111 » Mon Jan 21, 2019 8:23 pm

stat_I_k wrote:Initially I did botpathing, but bots are too dumb to use kickerjumps. They use to stuck in it in continious jumping by vertical. Also bots can't see player and other bots while being in this continious jumping. Thus I decided to completely remove bot support.
There is that "swJumpad", else, you can set up another kicker at the top as well as those in the "CTF-Coret" suitably adjusted.
sektor2111
Godlike

Postby OjitroC » Mon Jan 21, 2019 9:08 pm

stat_I_k wrote: What kind of relics?
Regen, Strength, Speed, etc, etc. There's a mutator that comes with UT (perhaps only with GOTY? Plus an Enhanced Relics by Wormbo as well) - you don't use it? The relics will only spawn where there is a navigation network. Sektor2111's broader point is that the lack of bot pathing somewhat limits the extent to which the map can be played and the manner in which it can be played.

I agree with other comments about the layout and the textures. The other thing that struck me is that the lighting is uniform throughout the map (on Briightness=5 it is on my machine anyway) and perhaps a little more subtlety (brighter close to light sources, less bright further away), coupled with greater coherence in the texturing, would help create more of a sense of a unique place.
OjitroC
Inhuman

Postby sektor2111 » Mon Jan 21, 2019 10:44 pm

@Oijtroc
Let's leave Bots aside and go to a little analysis. The map has a bunch of duplicated actors - it looks even corrupt - I've tried several times to make the navigation network and the Editor went stuck in final point. I cleaned it and ... surprise, from 15.4 MB I brought it to 1.46 MB - read again if you can not believe it. It's a whole mystery that totally exceeds me why it has to be so enormous for such a small area. A few adjustments have to be made to the kickers or replaced with something else. Heavy ramps are likely to be ignored, or it's way better default JumpSpot.
The DistanceLightning actor is useless on-line, that's nothing to suggest a lightning, perhaps a broken lamp.
sektor2111
Godlike

Postby sektor2111 » Sat Jan 26, 2019 11:10 am

Bump timer expired.
So far I have a 2+ MB map with some Lightning in Skybox - I coded a new sort of Lightning full Net compatible - perhaps textures needs love over there as the rest of walls related ones.
For human part... this is the class between Bot.uc and common Bots
Code: Select all
class HumanBotPlus extends Bot
   abstract;
defaultproperties
{
     bIsHuman=True
}
For this human format we have some "adds" :lol2:, so we have PATHS because they are free to use, we don't pay for them.
Does anybody wants to love a bit textures of this thing ?
sektor2111
Godlike

Postby stat_I_k » Sat Jan 26, 2019 11:19 am

Thank to all for the feedback. I agree with every comment. I decided to make an update:
- lighting (make it a little bit darker);
- fixing "impossible textures" issue;
- bot pathing;
- reducing the size of map; getting rid of duplicated actors etc;

I will post updated version here before official release as soon as it ready.
stat_I_k
Novice

Postby Barbie » Sat Jan 26, 2019 1:36 pm

stat_I_k wrote:getting rid of duplicated actors
If you need a small howto: viewtopic.php?p=86087#p86087
"Multiple exclamation marks," he went on, shaking his head, "are a sure sign of a diseased mind." --Terry Pratchett
Barbie
Godlike

Postby sektor2111 » Sat Jan 26, 2019 5:38 pm

Let's speed up a bit. This is clean, if you want to change only textures you can do this here without to touch paths - they do look ready.
Also Lightning works.

Removed at request - if you don't need anything from there not a problem - I'm using what I've done, not original DistanceLightning and that setup.
Last edited by sektor2111 on Sat Jan 26, 2019 9:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sektor2111
Godlike

Postby stat_I_k » Sat Jan 26, 2019 8:20 pm

sektor2111 wrote:Let's speed up a bit. This is clean, if you want to change only textures you can do this here without to touch paths - they do look ready.
Also Lightning works. You can proceed to modify what you need here.
DM-SteelPro_Rv19.7z
Success !

sektor2111 May I kindly ask you to remove this "Rv19" from public access. The changes you made broke original idea (geometry, kickers). I posted it here just to get verbal feedback, but not for collaborative work. Normally you should've asked me for pemission to do any changes. I'm not interested in spreading multiple map forks with tiny changes made by different people in here. Thank you in advance.
stat_I_k
Novice

Postby sektor2111 » Sat Jan 26, 2019 9:10 pm

Solved. I will use modified one because it's nothing broken, I just removed X useless MB and set more unpredictable kickers. It runs ON-Line exactly as expected. So far I can say Thanks because I had a great party in here :tu: .

Best regards !
sektor2111
Godlike

Next

Return to Mapping