Any hope of viewing decals in a fog zone?

Tutorials and discussions about Mapping - Introduce your own ones!
PrinceOfFunky
Godlike

Any hope of viewing decals in a fog zone?

Post by PrinceOfFunky »

Is there any way to make decals visible in a fog zone?
"Your stuff is known to be buggy and unfinished/not properly tested"
sektor2111
Godlike

Re: Any hope of viewing decals in a fog zone?

Post by sektor2111 »

No.
Feralidragon
Godlike
Personal rank: Work In Progress

Post by Feralidragon »

Yes.
Spoiler
Try out NW3 in maps with fog areas, and try to shoot the walls or gib players and the like, you will see that my decals work.

The secret is to set bFogZone to False before the decal is attached to the surface, and then set it back to True.
However, since bFogZone is set as const, you will need to either bytehack your own Engine package to remove this const flag and compile with, or build an Engine.u file on the side with the const removed, which is what I did.
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

Eee...
Spoiler
That is attaching decal when zone fog is False else it's natively denied - yes, it's required a "working-engine" not "player/server engine" - a good trick somehow...
But this won't work for creature's shadows, those have to be updated permanently... Or is there a solution for that too - toggling zone each tick ? Perhaps removing fog by default as I screwed movers and all that constants useless blabbering by Epic...
Why they did all that "hiding with constants" for stuff which doesn't hurt at all is a secret for me...
Red_Fist
Godlike

Post by Red_Fist »

I think you have to use Special lit, there is some drawbacks, and I might be thinking of meshes-fogzones.
Binary Space Partitioning
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

Nope, Epic took a wrong decision to not attach any decal in fog - presuming it's not well visible and forcing resources - 1999 here, Feralidragon bypassed this limitation in his works, else Usaar... whatever guy doing OldSkool was using something similar for coding these extra... bubbles. Patch files which I do for NavAdder also cannot be compiled with stock assets - way too primitive - it's a nasty method but... I don't know why would be necessary to make things restricted because Server has his task, Client has another task. Server can DELETE all PathNodes while client has nothing to say as long as Monsters are guided in server and animations and sounds are replicated, and the rest or their moves... But making some stunts is impossible with stock UT, in exchange stock works with special compilations if are wisely operated, some of Epic's restrictions don't make any sense. If I want to make a mutator called "NoDoors" let's say that I can get rid of doors in maps CTF-Coret and CTF-Niven - exactly like that GuardiaCannon mutator done for removing one of Cannons from map AS-Guardia. But this mutator won't be re-compiled by everyone.
That's the idea here, decals can be attached but... it depends on conditions...