Got a Map?

Tutorials and discussions about Mapping - Introduce your own ones!
BadCorps
Experienced
Personal rank: Unholy

Got a Map?

Post by BadCorps »

I play on an old computer (I can't be the only one) and it crashes often when some events occur (i.e. too much gore, NW3 nuclear blasts).

Anyway, I have a map, DM-Magmafall, and my computer seems to enjoy it. The game runs much better and it might because the map "keeps itself clean". Under most circumstances when an enemy explodes, their beautifully splattered parts hit the magma and disintigrate upon impact. And I would like more maps that have simliar layouts (lots of acid/lava and platforms to jump between) if you know of any, be sure to let me know.

Thanks!
OjitroC
Godlike

Re: Got a Map?

Post by OjitroC »

Someone put together a mappack of lava maps - Lavamaps.zip - you could try these out - I have it but can't remember if I have played them all (or, indeed, any of them) so I can't comment on their quality, playability, etc, etc.
esnesi
Godlike
Personal rank: Dialed in.

Post by esnesi »

I am interested in what kind of errors you get, and if you can reproduce them at certain moments.
Crashes usually occur due to old renderers or overriding settings in drivers. (NvidiaControlPanel/CatalystControlCenter)

Every computer is able to run UT99.
Even with a 5400rpm disk Pentium 1-core / celeron, and 1gb ram! (Windows needs more though)
I assume even a 3dfx Voodoo is able to perfectly run a MH session with NW3weapons and gore, at 60 fps atleast.
BadCorps
Experienced

Post by BadCorps »

iSenSe wrote:I am interested in what kind of errors you get, and if you can reproduce them at certain moments.
Crashes usually occur due to old renderers or overriding settings in drivers. (NvidiaControlPanel/CatalystControlCenter)

Every computer is able to run UT99.
Even with a 5400rpm disk Pentium 1-core / celeron, and 1gb ram! (Windows needs more though)
I assume even a 3dfx Voodoo is able to perfectly run a MH session with NW3weapons and gore, at 60 fps atleast.
viewtopic.php?f=34&t=13277
BadCorps
Experienced

Post by BadCorps »

OjitroC wrote:Someone put together a mappack of lava maps - Lavamaps.zip - you could try these out - I have it but can't remember if I have played them all (or, indeed, any of them) so I can't comment on their quality, playability, etc, etc.
Sorry, but I'd prefer Deathmatch. Thanks for the suggestion though!
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

BadCorps wrote:I play on an old computer (I can't be the only one) and it crashes often when some events occur (i.e. too much gore, NW3 nuclear blasts).
Agree here, the fact is that I got crashes with these over-gore things and I suspect that surfaces targeted by decals are bad, map has errors or such, because game is not crashing all time in such cases with the same decals...
OjitroC wrote:Someone put together a mappack of lava maps - Lavamaps.zip - you could try these out
Thank you :D !
esnesi
Godlike

Post by esnesi »

So, can you post some more specifics now then?
Like, does it happen only with the nuclearmissile level-a, or multiple, and at which certain moment?
Are you using default nw3weapons configs, or modified?

Narrow it down, if you can reproduce the issue in multiple maps, then you know it's something which cannot be fixed like Ferali said.

It's never a bad thing to set your gameprofile for UT99 within your driver on ''max performance'' instead of ''High quality textures''.
In case of Nvidia:
BadCorps
Experienced

Post by BadCorps »

iSenSe wrote:
So, can you post some more specifics now then?
Like, does it happen only with the nuclearmissile level-a, or multiple, and at which certain moment?
Are you using default nw3weapons configs, or modified?

Narrow it down, if you can reproduce the issue in multiple maps, then you know it's something which cannot be fixed like Ferali said.
Happens on every map, every missle level, and the moment it detonates the game goes kaputt
esnesi
Godlike

Post by esnesi »

It's weird i can't seem to reproduce this issue on our server with NW3.
i've chosen quite some big/extensive maps, and spawned max monsters.
BadCorps
Experienced

Post by BadCorps »

iSenSe wrote:It's weird i can't seem to reproduce this issue on our server with NW3.
The best I can do with my old PC is just hope that none of the bots use the big boom
papercoffee
Godlike
Personal rank: coffee addicted !!!

Post by papercoffee »

BadCorps wrote:
iSenSe wrote:It's weird i can't seem to reproduce this issue on our server with NW3.
The best I can do with my old PC is just hope that none of the bots use the big boom
What about disabling the big boom?
KillRoy1972
Experienced

Post by KillRoy1972 »

YOu can also turn of 'show decal' in the preference menu if that is the source of the problem..
Ubir4
Adept

Post by Ubir4 »

yes.
BadCorps
Experienced

Post by BadCorps »

papercoffee wrote:
BadCorps wrote:
What about disabling the big boom?
But where's the fun in that?
Metalfist
Masterful
Personal rank: ^,..,^ rawr

Post by Metalfist »

Have you tried a fresh install and various renderers?