Red_Fist wrote:I don't even know what XC is, I don't use or read or install anything that seems like a mod to screw up stock game maps so I don't dare even try to understand since there is nothing in "XC" thread that says what it is, what it's for, or how to use it, or if there has to be ini editing, or int files, or how to install, nothing, it's all above my brain.
To explain shortly this is an engine extension for UT99 which for me it's part of a default server install from now on - and even client game.
Listing a few reasons for what I'm using it:
- mutators able to create paths in empty maps - in run-time, without editing map - default Engine won't ever help here;
- mutators able to change functions - alter monster's behavior, bot's behavior, game's behavior, etc.
- movers on-line are reacting in other way than in stock Servers - Still work in progress ?
- fixes for various critical bugs from UT'99 - here is more entertaining - writing mutators immune at original crashes and more featured;
- tweaks toward mismatch error for players;
In long terms, making a copy of client and installing XC in that copy for figuring what this thing it's doing won't hurt anything and no computer will ever explode.As mapper only
you have new Bot Pathing options by using XC_Engine - excuse me but this stuff dropped in community and ignored it's proving general attitude about what "UT addiction" means for people. It's not my loss. When map will have less load, more clean paths, cleaned trash references, culled textures, and it's not used, perhaps I do not have too many plans about using those newer
maps done in old style
with old bugs. You could see that map which you presented (with that maze) what kind of paths I've done with it - it's a case when I have more than a reason for using it instead of any release done with plain Editor.
Newer DevPath from XC_Engine is more powerful than in default plain engine - I was toying with a LostInTimeV3 version. Except for last two Waypoints Bots helped me entire game - including finishing map... it did not happened in plain UT.
With regard to this Amazonia map, Author did a good job so far, I have to admit that map can be simplified, but it's not my problem if mappers generally don't want anything for a better optimization of their work. XC_Engine can be used only for Editing if it's causing problems for players/servers in certain environments.