DM-Amazonia16 (Release)

Tutorials and discussions about Mapping - Introduce your own ones!
Dr.Flay
Godlike
Personal rank: Chaos Evangelist

Re: DM-Amazonia16 (Release)

Post by Dr.Flay »

Red_Fist wrote: If you really want a complaint, I don't like posting in "new downloads" because the shit is way at the friggin bottom that hardly gets noticed. of the forum. The mapping should be for mapping problems not every ones done map. :mad2:

Move that dang thread to the TOP
The idea is the mapping section is for projects within this site, and the downloads section for things people find from other sites.
Red_Fist
Godlike

Post by Red_Fist »

Report new Downloads
If you have found new Downloads or created something by your own, please announce it here

I just wish "downloads" was the first section taking the XCEngine spot.

It took me years to even realize there was that section at the bottom.

I guess my idea is for each user to have their own named thread for the stuff they are doing.

I don't even know what XC is, I don't use or read or install anything that seems like a mod to screw up stock game maps so I don't dare even try to understand since there is nothing in "XC" thread that says what it is, what it's for, or how to use it, or if there has to be ini editing, or int files, or how to install, nothing, it's all above my brain.
Binary Space Partitioning
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

Red_Fist wrote:I don't even know what XC is, I don't use or read or install anything that seems like a mod to screw up stock game maps so I don't dare even try to understand since there is nothing in "XC" thread that says what it is, what it's for, or how to use it, or if there has to be ini editing, or int files, or how to install, nothing, it's all above my brain.
To explain shortly this is an engine extension for UT99 which for me it's part of a default server install from now on - and even client game.
Listing a few reasons for what I'm using it:
- mutators able to create paths in empty maps - in run-time, without editing map - default Engine won't ever help here;
- mutators able to change functions - alter monster's behavior, bot's behavior, game's behavior, etc.
- movers on-line are reacting in other way than in stock Servers - Still work in progress ?
- fixes for various critical bugs from UT'99 - here is more entertaining - writing mutators immune at original crashes and more featured;
- tweaks toward mismatch error for players;
- etc.

In long terms, making a copy of client and installing XC in that copy for figuring what this thing it's doing won't hurt anything and no computer will ever explode.
As mapper only you have new Bot Pathing options by using XC_Engine - excuse me but this stuff dropped in community and ignored it's proving general attitude about what "UT addiction" means for people. It's not my loss. When map will have less load, more clean paths, cleaned trash references, culled textures, and it's not used, perhaps I do not have too many plans about using those newer maps done in old style with old bugs. You could see that map which you presented (with that maze) what kind of paths I've done with it - it's a case when I have more than a reason for using it instead of any release done with plain Editor.
Newer DevPath from XC_Engine is more powerful than in default plain engine - I was toying with a LostInTimeV3 version. Except for last two Waypoints Bots helped me entire game - including finishing map... it did not happened in plain UT.

With regard to this Amazonia map, Author did a good job so far, I have to admit that map can be simplified, but it's not my problem if mappers generally don't want anything for a better optimization of their work. XC_Engine can be used only for Editing if it's causing problems for players/servers in certain environments.
Gustavo6046
Godlike
Personal rank: Resident Wallaby

Post by Gustavo6046 »

There is absolutely nothing wrong with XC, dear Sektor. The thing is, I consider showcasing user content more important, as that will make the community linger for loner. XC_Engine is a very good and useful thing, but it is not always necessary to maintain the UT community ecosystem.

Anyway, I see Power is improving, in terms of how he follows the rules. He is quickly managing to control his excitement. He's certainly improving far faster than I did in my young times.

Oh, I remember when I was like 13...
"Everyone is an idea man. Everybody thinks they have a revolutionary new game concept that no one else has ever thought of. Having cool ideas will rarely get you anywhere in the games industry. You have to be able to implement your ideas or provide some useful skill. Never join a project whose idea man or leader has no obvious development skills. Never join a project that only has a web designer. You have your own ideas. Focus on them carefully and in small chunks and you will be able to develop cool projects."

Weapon of Destruction