==[ The 20th Anniversary Mapping Contest - 20AC ]==

Tutorials and discussions about Mapping - Introduce your own ones!
FraGnBraG
Inhuman
Personal rank: Good news everyone!

Re: ==[ The 20th Anniversary Mapping Contest - 20AC ]==

Post by FraGnBraG »

really awesome looking stuff coming in now :tu: hope mine starts coming together soon! It's my second go at a map and looking like this one will hit around 5000 brushes (once i flip the base).

don't get mad, I just have the contest logo in mylevel, since I went with a utx for custom textures.

if i don't get this thing done by contest close then i'll try for the bonus deadline...

Again, some really nice looking stuff mappers! :rock:
-=FraGnBraG Level Design=- ***UPDATED! even works on your phone!***
Chamberly
Godlike
Personal rank: Dame. Vandora

Post by Chamberly »

Well I'm still planning to add it. :)
Image Edit: Why does my sig not work anymore?
papercoffee
Godlike
Personal rank: coffee addicted !!!

Post by papercoffee »

Feralidragon wrote: Tue Dec 10, 2019 12:09 am Quick question: do bonus maps require to have the contest badge or not?

Since bonus maps are essentially maps which were already in progress, it's very likely that in some there might not be a good spot to place it by now, so it would be best to clarify this before folks submit bonus maps without it.
Not required but it would be nice. ;)
swiftshade
Novice

Post by swiftshade »

Its still a work in progress but I wanted to go ahead and show what I've got so far. There's some areas of the map that haven't been detailed yet but the basic layout is pretty much complete. Feedback would be great, especially on weapon/ammo/spawn locations.
Dungeon4SS.png
DM-20AC-CrypticDungeonWIP.unr
(5.4 MiB) Downloaded 26 times
Novaeon
Average

Post by Novaeon »

sektor2111 wrote: Mon Dec 09, 2019 6:20 am No feedback this time. I won't replace Nova.utx located in my system with the one provided with map, else with old Nova.utx map it's not working because a required texture is missing. You can MyLevel this texture because no one needs any mismatch error. That's all about using Generic names.
I'm trying to fix this issue by creating a new package with the new textures, but having a lot of problems getting the replace texture tool to work.
UnrealGGecko
Godlike
Personal rank: GEx the Gecko

Post by UnrealGGecko »

Ok, updated the 1st post with most of the betas, let me know if I'm missing anything...
Chamberly
Godlike
Personal rank: Dame. Vandora

Post by Chamberly »

Gonna throw this in for yall. Have fun!
Attachments
20AC-IciclePyramid.zip
(2.5 MiB) Downloaded 71 times
Image Edit: Why does my sig not work anymore?
Novaeon
Average

Post by Novaeon »

Ok, phew, managed to separate out all the new textures from my previous package to a new one. Also fixed a bunch of BSP errors that was in BETA1. You should now be able to just use the old Nova.utx package if you already had that one.

EDIT: Removed file because it was superseded.
Last edited by Novaeon on Sat Dec 14, 2019 10:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Porch Viking
Average

Post by Porch Viking »

Does anyone have any additional feedback on my map? viewtopic.php?f=5&t=13638#p116153 I might have time for a little more polishing before the deadline.
swiftshade wrote: Tue Dec 10, 2019 8:58 pm Its still a work in progress but I wanted to go ahead and show what I've got so far. There's some areas of the map that haven't been detailed yet but the basic layout is pretty much complete. Feedback would be great, especially on weapon/ammo/spawn locations.

[DM-20AC-CrypticDungeonWIP.unr]
Seems pretty solid so far. As far as item locations go, I would mainly just tweak the ammo placement. Move the existing ammo closer to the corresponding guns, and add a few extra ammo pickups scattered around the map.
Novaeon wrote: Tue Dec 10, 2019 11:29 pm Ok, phew, managed to separate out all the new textures from my previous package to a new one. Also fixed a bunch of BSP errors that was in BETA1. You should now be able to just use the old Nova.utx package if you already had that one.

[DM-CoporateOffice-AC20]
I see in your readme that the map is intended for Infiltration. I've never played the mod, so I can't really comment how well it works with that. For regular deathmatch, the flow would be greatly improved if items were moved so players could get them without having to climb the furniture and such. You might be able to get away with increasing collision radius on some of the items, if you still want to keep stuff on tables.

Myth wrote: Mon Dec 09, 2019 2:42 am Made some progress with my map, here is a beta version.
Also, is there any way to randomize which path bot takes to attack? They seem to take the same route every time :loool:
[CTF-20AC-Foundation]
The area where you get the flak cannon could really use a faster way to get back into the action. Additional supplies throughout the map would help as well, since it feels a bit starved at the moment. Also, a nasty BSP issue is blocking a doorway to the left of the red flag ("left" as judged going into the base).

As for the path randomizing, try some AlternatePaths for each team (team # = "the team that will use this point as an entry for the base"). I found in my own map that AlternatePath actors sometimes need a SelectionWeight value in the hundreds to be effective (same with discouraging overuse of other navigation points by increasing ExtraCost).
esnesi
Godlike
Personal rank: Dialed in.

Post by esnesi »

Awesome maps coming by!
Can't wait for the finals!
Last edited by esnesi on Wed Dec 11, 2019 5:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

Porch Viking wrote: Wed Dec 11, 2019 7:24 am Does anyone have any additional feedback on my map?
Has UT_Invisibility ever been taken by Bots ? I see mainly One-Way paths over there. On that ramp I think they are too high...
If you are changing ExtraCost I believe it might be two cases: path unused or path used, you won't gain both cases. AlternatePath or a PathToggler controlled with some timer will do the job not a static setup. If you are toggling a node which has pruned paths getting over it as shortcuts, toggling task will be pointless. XC_EditorAdds won't create PrunedPaths, and then all paths are visible how they are, else stock Editor is creating those PrunedPaths which ARE NOT shown anywhere.

ZoneInfo0 :???:
WhatFor.PNG
May I ask what is that message ? Who is that %K ?
Mmmm... yeah, I forgot to write a fix for such screwed zones in my toy for Editor.
Plain UT will log the kill like here:

Code: Select all

ScriptWarning: CTFGame CTF-20AC-Valhalla-BETA-12-3.CTFGame1 (Function Engine.GameInfo.Killed:00DD) Accessed None
ScriptWarning: CTFGame CTF-20AC-Valhalla-BETA-12-3.CTFGame1 (Function Engine.GameInfo.Killed:00E5) Accessed None
ScriptWarning: CTFGame CTF-20AC-Valhalla-BETA-12-3.CTFGame1 (Function Engine.GameInfo.Killed:010B) Accessed None
ScriptWarning: CTFGame CTF-20AC-Valhalla-BETA-12-3.CTFGame1 (Function Engine.GameInfo.Killed:0113) Accessed None
The rest are Doors not Lifts

ScriptLog: Warning: CTF-20AC-Valhalla-BETA-12-3.Mover1 is BumpOpenTimed.  Bots don't understand this well - use StandOpenTimed instead!
ScriptLog: Warning: CTF-20AC-Valhalla-BETA-12-3.Mover2 is BumpOpenTimed.  Bots don't understand this well - use StandOpenTimed instead!
In UT SpecialDamage is for Weapons, Engine has a deal with killer.Weapon in this case, killer aka %k. In a zone there is a NONE killer which has been accessed as above.
Sinnical
Average

Post by Sinnical »

No work for me today so I'm putting in BSP time :rock:

Just out of curiosity, how often does UEd crash for the rest of you? Cuz I've been getting pretty regular crashes and can't remember if that's normal or not :wink: It dawned on me recent'y that I've been making UT99 maps on and off for about 18 years and have never really compared notes with other mappers. I fumbled my way through online tutorials as a teenager and I'm probably doing a lot of things wrong!

Also I'm glad to see some really good looking maps in the mix. Hopefully we'll do UT proud.

No screens from me yet. I changed from a tech theme to NaliCast at the last minute so it's going through a reshuffle. I should have something fairly close to the end result later today!
Porch Viking
Average

Post by Porch Viking »

sektor2111 wrote: Wed Dec 11, 2019 5:07 pm
Porch Viking wrote: Wed Dec 11, 2019 7:24 am Does anyone have any additional feedback on my map?
Has UT_Invisibility ever been taken by Bots ? I see mainly One-Way paths over there. On that ramp I think they are too high...
If you are changing ExtraCost I believe it might be two cases: path unused or path used, you won't gain both cases. AlternatePath or a PathToggler controlled with some timer will do the job not a static setup. If you are toggling a node which has pruned paths getting over it as shortcuts, toggling task will be pointless. XC_EditorAdds won't create PrunedPaths, and then all paths are visible how they are, else stock Editor is creating those PrunedPaths which ARE NOT shown anywhere.

ZoneInfo0 :???:
WhatFor.PNG
May I ask what is that message ? Who is that %K ?
Mmmm... yeah, I forgot to write a fix for such screwed zones in my toy for Editor.
Plain UT will log the kill like here:

ScriptWarning: CTFGame CTF-20AC-Valhalla-BETA-12-3.CTFGame1 (Function Engine.GameInfo.Killed:00DD) Accessed None
ScriptWarning: CTFGame CTF-20AC-Valhalla-BETA-12-3.CTFGame1 (Function Engine.GameInfo.Killed:00E5) Accessed None
ScriptWarning: CTFGame CTF-20AC-Valhalla-BETA-12-3.CTFGame1 (Function Engine.GameInfo.Killed:010B) Accessed None
ScriptWarning: CTFGame CTF-20AC-Valhalla-BETA-12-3.CTFGame1 (Function Engine.GameInfo.Killed:0113) Accessed None
The rest are Doors not Lifts

ScriptLog: Warning: CTF-20AC-Valhalla-BETA-12-3.Mover1 is BumpOpenTimed.  Bots don't understand this well - use StandOpenTimed instead!
ScriptLog: Warning: CTF-20AC-Valhalla-BETA-12-3.Mover2 is BumpOpenTimed.  Bots don't understand this well - use StandOpenTimed instead!
In UT SpecialDamage is for Weapons, Engine has a deal with killer.Weapon in this case, killer aka %k. In a zone there is a NONE killer which has been accessed as above.
Invisibility was an afterthought. I didn't originally intend for the roof to be accessible, but I also don't really see a problem with people going up there. So, I put an invis up there to throw sneaky players a bone, and put up some basic pathing in case a bot gets tossed up there.

I don't remember ever seeing or hearing about a path toggler. Where is that and how do I set one up?

Zone info: As far as I can tell, this is the only way to make the custom death message show up. I fought with it for a while to get it to work, and it simply refuses to give a message unless I include %k.

Elevators: Thanks for the heads up.
Novaeon
Average

Post by Novaeon »

Sinnical wrote: Wed Dec 11, 2019 6:50 pm No work for me today so I'm putting in BSP time :rock:

Just out of curiosity, how often does UEd crash for the rest of you? Cuz I've been getting pretty regular crashes and can't remember if that's normal or not :wink: It dawned on me recent'y that I've been making UT99 maps on and off for about 18 years and have never really compared notes with other mappers. I fumbled my way through online tutorials as a teenager and I'm probably doing a lot of things wrong!

Also I'm glad to see some really good looking maps in the mix. Hopefully we'll do UT proud.

No screens from me yet. I changed from a tech theme to NaliCast at the last minute so it's going through a reshuffle. I should have something fairly close to the end result later today!
Certain things will predictably crash (Especially when adding new textures), but once in a while I'll get one that I didn't predict and I'll end up losing some work (Just happened too, heh). Sounds like you learned the same way I did. I found the SmeerKat videos on youtube pretty helpful for some tricks I didn't know!
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

Porch Viking wrote: Wed Dec 11, 2019 7:45 pm I don't remember ever seeing or hearing about a path toggler. Where is that and how do I set one up?
Has to go in MyLevel and compiled there, this is Higor's version
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=12571#p102841
Another one is in some package Chronoshift.utx which is a fake Texture because it's package - that one has simulated functions which are useless like that.
Another one by self person:

=============================================================================
// PathToggler.
//=============================================================================
class PathToggler expands BlockedPath;

var() bool bInitialEnabled;

event PostBeginPlay()
{
	if (bInitialEnabled)
		Extracost = 100000000;
	else
		Extracost = 0;
}

function Trigger( actor Other, pawn EventInstigator )
{
	if ( ExtraCost > 0 )
		ExtraCost = 0;
	else
		ExtraCost = 100000000;
}
These can be triggered with a "Stochastictrigger" or a "Timedtrigger". If you do have problems with compiling MyLevel, use a ready compiled one by opening map with that thing and then yours. By example this one (it's older):
DM-A_MyLevel_03.zip
(110.88 KiB) Downloaded 16 times
Look for PathToggler actor over there - it's only a hosting map not for gaming, see if exist a problem, if yes report it quickly.

Edit:
Probably until the end of the year if I'll have enough free time I will make a demo map with lock/unlock navigation points and two things for Bots. The alternating navigation node will be transparent not hidden and will have textures such as "stop" and "priority road" traffic signs when the road is clear/locked. Then there may be many map makers who will realize how all this works because they will SEE the action directly.