==[ The 20th Anniversary Mapping Contest - 20AC ]==

Tutorials and discussions about Mapping - Introduce your own ones!
Myth
Inhuman
Personal rank: Low Poly Freak

Re: ==[ The 20th Anniversary Mapping Contest - 20AC ]==

Post by Myth »

I've added some fixes and slapped on the V2 suffix

- fixed a bot path where bots were getting stuck
- realigned all brick walls, changed alignment of some textures
- added some ambient sound sources so that it's not so dead silence anymore
- fixed the missing cracks beneath the flags, I lost them during some BSP fixes, they are back :)

I spend a good hour checking for more quality related issues, level looks solid, no BSP holes, hopefully I didn't add other bugs.
Attachments
CTF-20AC-FoundationV2.zip
(2.04 MiB) Downloaded 52 times
Last edited by Myth on Mon Dec 23, 2019 4:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sinnical
Average

Post by Sinnical »

Greetings!

DM-20AC-Recourse

Not as polished as I was hoping. But if I wait until I think it's done... then I'm never done :roll:
Anyway it's pretty fun to bounce around in. Got some wall slides, lift jumps, and a few hidey-holes that our thriving online player base will be sure to enjoy :D

Hopefully I didn't forget anything crucial. If I did, and it's fixable, let me know.

But for now I need to go rest my poor, carpal-tunnel ridden hands.

--Sinnical
Attachments
Recourse1.jpg
Myth
Inhuman

Post by Myth »

@Sinnical: screenshot looks nice!
Que
Inhuman
Personal rank: ...

Post by Que »

FragnBrag wrote:well thats it. no map from me. ran out of time to do mapping and the map needs a good 10-20 more hours to be of acceptible quality. i'm on holidays into January so good chance i'll release it then. no big loss, anyways - there's plenty of decent maps in the comp and pack that i see... hope to get a chance to play them now. well, i likely won't be back until after christmas...

Have a safe and happy holidays folks!

Cheers
fnb
I'll add it to the Server when Done.. have a great Holiday :D
swiftshade wrote:This should be my final version for the map pack unless I or someone else finds any more bugs.

I knew the fog might be a bit laggy, but I assumed most players played with volumetric turned off so I didn't think it would be a big issue. I set fog to false on all of the zone info's for now, but the light actors with the volumetric lighting are still there.

I also added a little ramp to connect the minigun and armor areas.

Other miner fixes:
Did some texture alignments I missed.
Changed all the lifts to "StandOpenTimed" (I completely forgot about this)
Fixed a small BSP hole near the jump boots
Fantastic amendments swiftshade also added to server.
Yay can re-enable the volumetric lighting..
*Thinks, Probably the cause of lag in a lot of other maps as well!
VolumetricLighting stays off in my case.
Myth wrote: I've added some fixes and slapped on the V2 suffix
Added to server! Good Work.
Sinnical wrote:Greetings!

DM-20AC-Recourse

Not as polished as I was hoping. But if I wait until I think it's done... then I'm never done
The Story of My Life! first impressions Looks great!.. Also Added to Server!.
Last edited by Que on Mon Dec 23, 2019 3:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.
*Join our Discord Here.*
Our mods - MVX , SSB , SmartWFL , UTCmds , BotCommands , Smart Stats , join/leave announcer , NoSmoke , UTLogin , BrightSkins , Server Tran…
*Our Servers
Porch Viking
Average

Post by Porch Viking »

Hopefully this is within the deadline! Here's my "final map pack improvements" version of CTF-20AC-Valhalla. Just added some extra trims, supports, and improved the skybox a bit.
Attachments
View from the red side, looking toward blue.
View from the red side, looking toward blue.
View from the blue side, looking toward red.
View from the blue side, looking toward red.
CTF-20AC-Valhalla-FINAL.zip
(3.79 MiB) Downloaded 52 times
UnrealGGecko
Godlike
Personal rank: GEx the Gecko

Post by UnrealGGecko »

Nah you made it, still a few hours to go ;)

@Sinnical niiiiice! Glad you made it. Really liked your DM-Bygone before.

@novaeon regarding Nova.utx, thing is UT is a b**** when the same filename is used, if it has ANYTHING different, its gonna spout version mismatch errors when connecting on the server. So yeah, once you publish a utx or uax or umx file, that's it. Best case now (if you still plan to do it, I guess) is to re-save the package as a different name, or MyLevel the textures.
Novaeon
Average

Post by Novaeon »

UnrealGGecko wrote: Mon Dec 23, 2019 8:40 am Nah you made it, still a few hours to go ;)

@Sinnical niiiiice! Glad you made it. Really liked your DM-Bygone before.

@novaeon regarding Nova.utx, thing is UT is a b**** when the same filename is used, if it has ANYTHING different, its gonna spout version mismatch errors when connecting on the server. So yeah, once you publish a utx or uax or umx file, that's it. Best case now (if you still plan to do it, I guess) is to re-save the package as a different name, or MyLevel the textures.
But that's what I've been trying to say all this time, I haven't changed Nova.utx for the final version of CorporateOffice! It's using the exact same version that I already released with FreewayTunnel! All new textures are in the NovaOffice.utx package.
Que
Inhuman
Personal rank: ...

Post by Que »

i guess that depends on the hashe names i think.. because if the hashe is different for the same named file and UT checks this hash against one that the client has then i think we have a problem... :roll:
But that's what I've been trying to say all this time, I haven't changed Nova.utx for the final version of CorporateOffice! It's using the exact same version that I already released with FreewayTunnel! All new textures are in the NovaOffice.utx package.
^ahh thats the way to do it.. :D
*Join our Discord Here.*
Our mods - MVX , SSB , SmartWFL , UTCmds , BotCommands , Smart Stats , join/leave announcer , NoSmoke , UTLogin , BrightSkins , Server Tran…
*Our Servers
OjitroC
Godlike

Post by OjitroC »

Novaeon wrote: Mon Dec 23, 2019 9:42 am But that's what I've been trying to say all this time, I haven't changed Nova.utx for the final version of CorporateOffice! It's using the exact same version that I already released with FreewayTunnel! All new textures are in the NovaOffice.utx package.

Thing is you've also distributed 2 versions of NovaOffice.utx, one slightly larger than the other.

The point is a simple and important one - if the contents of a .utx, .uax or .u file are altered the file name should be changed to indicate that it is a changed package in just the same way that people change the name of a map to indicate that it is a new/revised version. This wil avoid mismatches and save people the hassle of checking the contents of files with the same name and storing earlier versions to ensure that all the maps they have will still run.

I know you haven't changed Nova.utx for CorporateOffice from the version released with FreewayTunnel but that does not in any way alter the basic point that people are making.

Sinnical wrote: Mon Dec 23, 2019 3:50 am Hopefully I didn't forget anything crucial. If I did, and it's fixable, let me know.
Really nicely done - tight layout, great textures and atmosphere, fun to play - just this from the log
Spoiler
ScriptLog: Warning: DM-20AC-Recourse.Mover8 is BumpOpenTimed. Bots don't understand this well - use StandOpenTimed instead!
ScriptLog: Warning: DM-20AC-Recourse.Mover7 is BumpOpenTimed. Bots don't understand this well - use StandOpenTimed instead!
ScriptLog: Warning: DM-20AC-Recourse.Mover9 is BumpOpenTimed. Bots don't understand this well - use StandOpenTimed instead!
cromy
Novice

Post by cromy »

@sinnical
Wanted to try your map but it says "package Ambient" is missing.
Let's rock!
:rocket2:
Myth
Inhuman

Post by Myth »

@Que: Thank you for the server! It's really cool :)
@cromy: it' works on the server :) much easier to check it out there, also it's a nice map, go and check it out!
cromy
Novice

Post by cromy »

@Myth: thank you! :)

@sinnical: very nice map! super fun for a DM. If could be helpful i noticed that the two boxes in front of flak have no collision for the player.
Let's rock!
:rocket2:
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

With regard to Nova.utx file perhaps you want to light me why I do have THREE files - already shown above. Answer: Because before these two maps someone else has released already a file called Nova.utx - aprox. 300 kb - that was/is the Problem, which is similar to what Epic did with the Credits.utx file... And what for after all ? That initial Nova.utx from my Textures folder did not run MAP I had to replace it - that one having 300 kb - when I make some noise I have reasons for that. Right now I've mixed them and I got a bigger one demonstrating ADDS done among versions and maps are running with the Giant one. As for my own fun I replaced all Nova related textures with a MyLevel type similar with original and right now some map CorporateOffice which I edited doesn't even need any sort of NOVA package from any kind - and has ground paths to "Health1" item located on that pipe.
For confirmation, when I opened and checked the bigger newer Nova.utx file I did not see any Editor crash proving that all assets are fine and file integrity is out of corruptions.

Why I did that bigger one ? I must explain - for editing whatever Level as follows.
ConsoleCommand in Editor:

Code: Select all

obj load file=..\Textures\Nova.utx package=MyLevel
this is coming with another command which is importing around 150+ Textures from a location out of UT place on that drive... MyLevel is more simple than anything and it doesn't produce any MISMATCH.
Novaeon
Average

Post by Novaeon »

OjitroC wrote: Mon Dec 23, 2019 1:48 pm Thing is you've also distributed 2 versions of NovaOffice.utx, one slightly larger than the other.

The point is a simple and important one - if the contents of a .utx, .uax or .u file are altered the file name should be changed to indicate that it is a changed package in just the same way that people change the name of a map to indicate that it is a new/revised version. This wil avoid mismatches and save people the hassle of checking the contents of files with the same name and storing earlier versions to ensure that all the maps they have will still run.

I know you haven't changed Nova.utx for CorporateOffice from the version released with FreewayTunnel but that does not in any way alter the basic point that people are making.
Then I must ask my question again. How do we release BETA maps if we can't update the new packages made specifically for those maps? The fact still remains that the "different versions" that I've released of both Nova.utx and NovaOffice.utx were versions that were work in progress, released with maps clearly marked as BETA.

Please tell me how I'm supposed to release beta maps with new textures in the future, if I can't update texture packages I make myself.
sektor2111 wrote: Mon Dec 23, 2019 6:32 pm With regard to Nova.utx file perhaps you want to light me why I do have THREE files - already shown above. Answer: Because before these two maps someone else has released already a file called Nova.utx - aprox. 300 kb - that was/is the Problem, which is similar to what Epic did with the Credits.utx file... And what for after all ? That initial Nova.utx from my Textures folder did not run MAP I had to replace it - that one having 300 kb - when I make some noise I have reasons for that.
For two of the versions of Nova.utx, see my answer above. As for the third one, you've answered that yourself; Someone, at some point, released a map that also used a package called Nova.utx, which was unknown to me. Granted, it's maybe a common enough name, but doesn't change that I didn't know it already existed. Perhaps you know a way to check all maps ever made, to see if they contain packages that have a certain name?
Myth
Inhuman

Post by Myth »

Please tell me how I'm supposed to release beta maps with new textures in the future, if I can't update texture packages I make myself.
The idea is to generate new names for your packs and levels so that they don't conflict with other ones. For the contest we also have the 20AC prefix which helps a lot with the differentiation. It doesn't really matter what convention you follow as long as the filenames are unique. Here is an example:

Code: Select all

1st beta:   AwesomeLevelBETA.utx   AwesomeLevelBETA.unr
2nd beta:   AwesomeLevelBETA2.utx  AwesomeLevelBETA2.unr
3rd beta:   AwesomeLevelBETA3.utx  AwesomeLevelBETA3.unr
release:    AwesomeLevel.utx       AwesomeLevel.unr
patch:      AwesomeLevelV2.utx     AwesomeLevelV2.unr
2nd patch:  AwesomeLevelV3.utx     AwesomeLevelV3.unr